Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX availability slips (round 1?)  (Read 33231 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Fuji GFX availability slips (round 1?)
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2017, 06:00:36 pm »

I just setup the GFX, with the 32-64, and in M mode in Live View, took 3 shots,

F4, F11, F16,  you can see quite clearly as you move through the aperture range, that there focus shift going on, slight but there.  Each aperture required a different manual focus, but I could clearly mange this and get a perfect focus on the subject each time with the GFX, and 32-64, in M mode using Live View.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: MF stopped down
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2017, 06:01:52 pm »

I guess I am confused as I believe they do.

In Live View you can set the aperture via the lens, and manually focus in View View with up to 4 magnification settings.  You can confirm assist what is in focus with peaking which I use.  I can take the 32-64, set the aperture to F 4, manually focus with Live View on a part within the frame and shoot, unless I moved the camera that is in focus.  I can then change the aperture to F11 leaving the camera on the same subject manually focus again, via Live View and I am again in focus.

And if you go around to the front of the lens when it's set to f/11 and you're focusing in magnified view on the back, you can see that it's stopped down?

Sorry to be so picky here, but this is a key issue for me.

If that's the case, what's the DOF preview lever for?

Jim

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2017, 06:07:05 pm »

I guess I am confused as I believe they do.

In Live View you can set the aperture via the lens, and manually focus in View View with up to 4 magnification settings.  You can confirm assist what is in focus with peaking which I use.  I can take the 32-64, set the aperture to F 4, manually focus with Live View on a part within the frame and shoot, unless I moved the camera that is in focus.  I can then change the aperture to F11 leaving the camera on the same subject manually focus again, via Live View and I am again in focus.  I don't see what DOF preview has to do with checking to see if Live View works with lenses stopped down. 

Paul Caldwell

Try setting the aperture wide open, put the camera in magnified live view, change the aperture and see if there is any change in the depth of field in LV. If the focus doesn't change at all as you close down the aperture, it means the camera focuses in LV wide open. I just checked with the X1D and that's the way it works. I also asked Lloyd Chambers if the focus shift issue could be solved by focusing in live view and he responded that both the X1D and the GFX focus wide open in live view, so no, it won't solve the problem.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:21 pm »

Try setting the aperture wide open, put the camera in magnified live view, change the aperture and see if there is any change in the depth of field in LV. If the focus doesn't change at all as you close down the aperture, it means the camera focuses in LV wide open. I just checked with the X1D and that's the way it works. I also asked Lloyd Chambers if the focus shift issue could be solved by focusing in live view and he responded that both the X1D and the GFX focus wide open in live view, so no, it won't solve the problem.

Do you know if it works the same way with adapted H-series lenses?

Jim

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2017, 06:26:14 pm »

Do you know if it works the same way with adapted H-series lenses?

Jim

I assume so, as the HC leaf shutter lens doesn't close down until you either make an exposure or use the depth of field preview button.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2017, 06:37:26 pm »

And if you go around to the front of the lens when it's set to f/11 and you're focusing in magnified view on the back, you can see that it's stopped down?

Sorry to be so picky here, but this is a key issue for me.

If that's the case, what's the DOF preview lever for?

Jim

My understanding  was incorrect.  Howard is right.  And back to the question by Jim, no, you can't use DOF preview and have the Live View magnified.  Not sure what I saw in my previous testing.  However the aperture on the lens is not closing until you hit DOF preview, that is correct. 

Might be something Fuji can fix later on with Firmware.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2017, 03:33:25 am »

Forgive my ignorance, does live view work the way Jim wants, and I see exactly why this is desirable, in other systems?
Supplementary: if so why not with these cameras, do we know what causes the limitation, other than manufacturers not talking to photographers ( other than "ambassadors" with a large web presence)  ;).

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2017, 10:34:04 am »

Forgive my ignorance, does live view work the way Jim wants, and I see exactly why this is desirable, in other systems?
Supplementary: if so why not with these cameras, do we know what causes the limitation, other than manufacturers not talking to photographers ( other than "ambassadors" with a large web presence)  ;).

It works the way I want it to on a7x cameras with Setting Effect set to ON. It works that way on my D3x, D4, D5, D8oo, and D810 Nikons (or did; some of those are gone now). Of course, it works that way on the M240.

Jim

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2017, 11:13:53 am »

It works the way I want it to on a7x cameras with Setting Effect set to ON. It works that way on my D3x, D4, D5, D8oo, and D810 Nikons (or did; some of those are gone now). Of course, it works that way on the M240.
Jim
Really like to use that in combination with splitview on a d810 to get the best compromise on sharpness for the whole image
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

hubell

« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2017, 11:17:20 am »

My understanding  was incorrect.  Howard is right.  And back to the question by Jim, no, you can't use DOF preview and have the Live View magnified.  Not sure what I saw in my previous testing.  However the aperture on the lens is not closing until you hit DOF preview, that is correct. 

Might be something Fuji can fix later on with Firmware.

Paul Caldwell

Paul, with the GFX, can you focus in magnified Live View while the depth of field button is pressed AND have the EVF adjust the brightness to compensates for stopping down? The X1D works this way. It may be difficult to nail the focus stopped down, but worth a try.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2017, 11:58:43 am »

I have cancelled my GFX order.

Thanks to all for the help.

Jim

hubell

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2017, 03:38:40 pm »

I have cancelled my GFX order.

Thanks to all for the help.

Jim

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If I may ask, why was that such a deal breaker for you?
Thanks.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2017, 03:45:58 pm »

Hi,

It is because the focus shift. Focus changes when stopping down. So, for most accurate focus we would focus at shooting aperture.

Best regards
Erik

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If I may ask, why was that such a deal breaker for you?
Thanks.
Erik Kaffehr

hubell

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2017, 04:16:10 pm »

Hi,

It is because the focus shift. Focus changes when stopping down. So, for most accurate focus we would focus at shooting aperture.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, I have now read Jim's blog. One correction to his blog is that he said that you also can't focus stopped down with the X1D. Actually, you can, by depressing the depth of field preview button. I believe that shows you in the Live View the effect on focus of stopping down. Is that not the case with the GFX?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2017, 04:26:09 pm »

Yes. But not zoomed in with Live View.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

hubell

« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2017, 04:38:20 pm »

Yes. But not zoomed in with Live View.

Paul Caldwell

What happens with the GFX if you are already zoomed in in Live View using manual focus and you depress the depth of field preview button?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2017, 05:03:27 pm »

Ok, thanks to some help from the FujiGFX forum, you can have Live View Zoomed in and DOF preview.

I was in S mode on the camera when I checked before and note, this is very poorly discussed if at in the camera manual.

In in M mode, pick any aperture, hit DOF preview, the aperture blades close down (verified by looking at lens) you also see the DOF preview emblem in the viewfinder.  Hit zoom, THE DOF INDICATOR GOES OUT, but the aperture blades STAY CLOSED DOWN (verified by looked at front of lens).  I have checked the multiple times and it works as I have stated. 

So it is possible to zoom and be stopped down.  Note, you are always in Live view with mirrorless.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2017, 05:05:12 pm »

Yes, I have now read Jim's blog. One correction to his blog is that he said that you also can't focus stopped down with the X1D. Actually, you can, by depressing the depth of field preview button. I believe that shows you in the Live View the effect on focus of stopping down. Is that not the case with the GFX?

I removed the aside about the X1D from the blog. Thanks.

Jim

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2017, 05:11:48 pm »

Ok, thanks to some help from the FujiGFX forum, you can have Live View Zoomed in and DOF preview.

I was in S mode on the camera when I checked before and note, this is very poorly discussed if at in the camera manual.

In in M mode, pick any aperture, hit DOF preview, the aperture blades close down (verified by looking at lens) you also see the DOF preview emblem in the viewfinder.  Hit zoom, THE DOF INDICATOR GOES OUT, but the aperture blades STAY CLOSED DOWN (verified by looked at front of lens).  I have checked the multiple times and it works as I have stated. 

So it is possible to zoom and be stopped down.  Note, you are always in Live view with mirrorless.

Well, snap! (as Chrome says) Looks like I lost my place in line for nothing. By the way, Paul, I quoted you without attribution when I tried to clean up my mess on my blog. Let me know if you want attribution, or if you want the quote removed.

Darn.

Jim

hubell

« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2017, 05:14:00 pm »

Paul Caldwell

An you also stay stopped down and magnified AND change the aperture that the lens is set to?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up