Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX availability slips (round 1?)  (Read 33169 times)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Fuji GFX availability slips (round 1?)
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:38 am »

Jim,  I checked the date & time stamp on my order - Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 3:15 AM. 

You sure beat me.

Jim

algrove

« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:43 am »

eceived my GFX and zoom yesterday. Placed order around 1AM on 19 January. Waited one more day to place order on 120 and it has not been shipped and with no estimated date either. Sure hope they do not send me DL's 120 he is complaining about and is returning to B&H.

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2017, 07:13:30 pm »

Didn't get my order in until about 2:00 PM on the 19th. I'm staring at a lovely but useless 63mm f/2.8 lens and battery that came in yesterday sans camera. Sigh.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2017, 07:33:54 pm »

Didn't get my order in until about 2:00 PM on the 19th. I'm staring at a lovely but useless 63mm f/2.8 lens and battery that came in yesterday sans camera. Sigh.

All I've gotten so far is the EVF Tilt Adapter. It's not heavy enough for a doorstop, but, still boxed, it does make a nice white paperweight.

Jim

fotagf8

« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2017, 07:52:24 pm »

I fault both Fuji and BH and other dealers for this delivery nonsense.  I have been out of town.  Awaiting me at home tonight is a camera, 2 extra batteries, and the viewfinder.  No lens.  Given modern fulfillment systems, no one should be shipped a system that can't take a photograph.  The cynic in me wonders whether this is a way to force people to buy the system without being able to test it within the return period.

BH is always sending me surveys.  Overall, I am a huge fan, but on the next survey they will hear about lousy fulfillment practices.  I will be out shooting tomorrow, so the wait isn't holding me back, but it takes the fun out of he new camera experience.   Like buying a car, but being told no tires are available for a month.

NowHere2

« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2017, 11:25:31 pm »

I now have all my orders (#1 & #2). Only had time today to charge the battery, connect the zoom and take a couple of shots inside (this evening).  I plan on some outside photo time this weekend.  While I don't have any other Fujifilm cameras now, I did own the XT-1 and the X-Pro 1.  The GFX feels very "familiar" -- GFX focusing reminds me of the X-Pro 1.  I've read DL's write-up -- and will take his points into consideration as I test the cam out.  So far, the camera ergo/use related items he feels are detriments and design fails don't bother me - I enjoyed my time with the X-Pro 1 and XT-1.  Maybe that's the difference.

Scott

Slowhands

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2017, 11:48:52 am »

I now have all my orders (#1 & #2). Only had time today to charge the battery, connect the zoom and take a couple of shots inside (this evening).  I plan on some outside photo time this weekend.  While I don't have any other Fujifilm cameras now, I did own the XT-1 and the X-Pro 1.  The GFX feels very "familiar" -- GFX focusing reminds me of the X-Pro 1.  I've read DL's write-up -- and will take his points into consideration as I test the cam out.  So far, the camera ergo/use related items he feels are detriments and design fails don't bother me - I enjoyed my time with the X-Pro 1 and XT-1.  Maybe that's the difference.

Scott

I'm not surprised. While I haven't handled the camera personally, I saw one in person and obviously have looked at images online. The camera's ergonomics and button layout clearly reflect the designs of the Fuji X line. I had an XT-1 for quite some time, but I never found it comfortable, even with a battery grip. I found the handling of the D8XX far more comfortable. But horses for courses; ergonomics are such a personal preference.

I'll reserve my judgment until I can handle one in person, which looks to be sometime in the summer. It may be that the larger frame and spacing of buttons is enough of a difference from Fuji's APS-C cameras that I can come to like it. If not, well, at least I will have saved quite a bit of money that I can instead spend on travel.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2017, 06:42:20 pm »

I'm not surprised. While I haven't handled the camera personally, I saw one in person and obviously have looked at images online. The camera's ergonomics and button layout clearly reflect the designs of the Fuji X line. I had an XT-1 for quite some time, but I never found it comfortable, even with a battery grip. I found the handling of the D8XX far more comfortable. But horses for courses; ergonomics are such a personal preference.

Truer words were never spoken. I've always found the design and control scheme of the X-cams to very comfortable and very intuitive. They remind me of the old fully manual film cameras I learned photography on. For example, the aperture adjustment is on the lens, where God intended it to be! ;)

Shot with Canon pro gear for a very long time, and always found it intuitive as well, by comparison Nikon's ergos were always very confusing to me.

Horses for courses.

The good thing is we have so many wonderful choices available today to best meet our needs.

Cheers.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2017, 03:22:05 am »

In terms of UI logic, Fuji is pretty close to Nikon, aren't they? Front and rear wheels to control speed and aperture. In fact the only brand deviating from this logic is pretty much Canon with their large control on the back of the camera.

Then you have differences of body shapes, grip depth,...

Cheers,
Bernard

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2017, 03:34:40 pm »

In terms of UI logic, Fuji is pretty close to Nikon, aren't they? Front and rear wheels to control speed and aperture. In fact the only brand deviating from this logic is pretty much Canon with their large control on the back of the camera.

Then you have differences of body shapes, grip depth,...

Cheers,
Bernard

When I bought my X-Pro1 and saw the analog dial (knob) and ring based control system, I really fell in love with it. I forced me to slow down just that little bit to have to look at the controls to know exactly where the camera was set, and my photography was the better for it. I found that I was too "disconnected" from "seeing" when using my Canon pro gear. The Canon gear was extremely good at what I was using it for, professional motorsports photojournalism, but the images were less rewarding that the images I was making with my X-Pro1. 

SangRaal

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2017, 10:09:01 pm »

Here is some bad news If you are waiting for a GFX-50 Camera body; according to "Mirrorless Rumors the next shipment of GFX-50's will be March 30th. Currently I have a 32mm to 64mm zoom lens, RR90 remote, spare battery, and a GFX to Hasselblad adapter. More than enough stuff to use as a door stop or expensive interesting toy for my army of GSD's.

algrove

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2017, 11:01:01 pm »

You always believe rumors?

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2017, 08:09:07 am »

You always believe rumors?
Well, that does line up with B&H's claim that they won't be shipping out any more camera bodies until April (as I was told by their support line). I'm resigned to not having my shiny new camera in time for my trip out to Arizona. I'm betting it will arrive at my house while I'm gone, because the universe just works like that.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
MF stopped down
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2017, 12:10:03 pm »

Sorry for this off-topic post, but I don't think it's important enough to start a new thread.

Is it true that you can't get the magnified focusing view on the GFX with native lenses while the lens is stopped down?

That might very well be a deal-killer for me.

Jim

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: MF stopped down
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2017, 03:16:43 pm »

Sorry for this off-topic post, but I don't think it's important enough to start a new thread.

Is it true that you can't get the magnified focusing view on the GFX with native lenses while the lens is stopped down?

That might very well be a deal-killer for me.

Jim

Hi Jim

The Magnified view works with the lenses stopped down.  I wish you could vary the zoom by pinching the screen with your fingers like on the iPhone as you can in playback mode.  But you have a lot of zoom in range with the GFX.  And you can move the aperture ring and see the numbers and available light change as you move the aperture. 

I assume you mean by "native", Fuji brand lenses? 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2017, 04:21:45 pm »

The Magnified view works with the lenses stopped down.  I wish you could vary the zoom by pinching the screen with your fingers like on the iPhone as you can in playback mode.  But you have a lot of zoom in range with the GFX.  And you can move the aperture ring and see the numbers and available light change as you move the aperture. 

I assume you mean by "native", Fuji brand lenses? 

Yes, Fuji G-mount lenses; that's what I meant. So focus shift should have a workaround. That's very good news.

The numbers would change even if the lens stayed wide open like an a7x with Setting Effect OFF, but you can see the DOF change in magnified view, right? Ans when you look in the front of the lens, the diaphragm is not dilated?

Jim

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2017, 04:44:36 pm »

Yes, Focus shift has a work around.  I need to check on your 2nd point, as I am not sure.

Fuji, with their Focus by wire, design has plus and minus problems.  The issue I have with the FBW for the GFX is:

When you turn off the camera, your focus point is lost
When you move from capture to playback, your focus point is lost
When you move from S mode after obtaining a good focus, to M mode, your focus point is lost

In the past on primes, Fuji allowed for a Manual focus clutch, so you can focus, then clutch down to MF, then go back and forth between capture and playback without the loss of your focus point.  So far none of the GFX lenses have a clutch, which I feel is a huge oversight by Fuji, at least for my work.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2017, 04:58:07 pm »

Yes, Fuji G-mount lenses; that's what I meant. So focus shift should have a workaround. That's very good news.

The numbers would change even if the lens stayed wide open like an a7x with Setting Effect OFF, but you can see the DOF change in magnified view, right? Ans when you look in the front of the lens, the diaphragm is not dilated?

Jim

I don't believe the G mount lenses focus stopped down in Live View. You would have to hold down the depth of firmed preview and it it is very difficult to focus accurately in LV in dim light and with the added depth of field.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2017, 05:32:47 pm »

I don't believe the G mount lenses focus stopped down in Live View. You would have to hold down the depth of firmed preview and it it is very difficult to focus accurately in LV in dim light and with the added depth of field.

That's a serious problem for me. We now have different people saying different things. Is there a way to resolve this?

Jim

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »

I guess I am confused as I believe they do.

In Live View you can set the aperture via the lens, and manually focus in View View with up to 4 magnification settings.  You can confirm assist what is in focus with peaking which I use.  I can take the 32-64, set the aperture to F 4, manually focus with Live View on a part within the frame and shoot, unless I moved the camera that is in focus.  I can then change the aperture to F11 leaving the camera on the same subject manually focus again, via Live View and I am again in focus.  I don't see what DOF preview has to do with checking to see if Live View works with lenses stopped down. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up