Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX availability slips (round 1?)  (Read 33157 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Fuji GFX availability slips (round 1?)
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 09:36:55 pm »

Hi Bernard, I hope you are not implying I hope that Fuji fails, as that is not the case.

Paul,

I was not replying to any particular message, more to the overall tone of some of the answers.

Facts are in my view clear that we are not in a X1D like situations. Cameras are shipping in significant numbers. The number of orders may be above Fuji's capacity to meet all orders in the first days after availability, but I don't believe it justifies putting the GFX and the X1D in the same category of cameras for which the manufacturer bascically lied to the market.

Cheers,
Bernard

jkhansen

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 09:50:11 pm »

Fuji has handled the entirety of the launch exceedingly well.

On the other hand, Hasselblad absolutely, 100%, lied to the market... I think that's pretty clear now.

With the GFX, it would be nice to see a Raw Converter with a profile ready to handle the images. Until then, I'll be shooting with the most expensive JPEG camera ever produced.

hogloff

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »

My GFX order at B&H has said processing for weeks.

They must use Windows computers as I see my work with the processing symbol quite often.  ;D

camgarner

• cgarnerphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 10:41:37 pm »

Extra batteries are not available at this time.

hubell

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 11:23:08 pm »

Fuji has handled the entirety of the launch exceedingly well.

With the GFX, it would be nice to see a Raw Converter with a profile ready to handle the images. Until then, I'll be shooting with the most expensive JPEG camera ever produced.

Yes, that's a real well executed launch. No raw support in either of the two major raw conversion software programs, Lightroom and Capture One. I don't think of that as a nice to have.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 03:03:22 am »

Yes, that's a real well executed launch. No raw support in either of the two major raw conversion software programs, Lightroom and Capture One. I don't think of that as a nice to have.

Not sure why you mention C1 Pro here as we know P1 won't be supporting it.

As far as LR support we've had more than a few major examples throughtout the years where Canon or Nikon DSLR were not supported immediately also.

I find it a bit harsh to blame this on Fuji.

Cheers,
Bernard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 03:18:26 am »

As far as LR support we've had more than a few major examples throughtout the years where Canon or Nikon DSLR were not supported immediately also.

A few, Bernard? It's almost always the case that new cameras are not supported immediately by any of the major raw converters. Edit: See this post on the timing of Lightroom updates and particularly the schedule showing how many releases it takes for new cameras to be supported.

Since few camera makers offer DNG as an optional format, it's unreasonable for anyone to expect Fuji's new camera would be supported on day one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:34:11 am by john beardsworth »

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 10:13:41 am »

No, they'e just unsure about Señor Trump and getting paid in alternative money.

Once the dust settles, everything will have reverted back to normal chaos.

;-)

Rob C

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 10:41:22 am »

A few, Bernard? It's almost always the case that new cameras are not supported immediately by any of the major raw converters. Edit: See this post on the timing of Lightroom updates and particularly the schedule showing how many releases it takes for new cameras to be supported.

Since few camera makers offer DNG as an optional format, it's unreasonable for anyone to expect Fuji's new camera would be supported on day one.

Agreed. This has been the situation for pretty much every camera released on the market in the last 10-12 years.

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:47 pm »

Agreed. This has been the situation for pretty much every camera released on the market in the last 10-12 years.

Look at the competition. I am sure neither Phase nor Hasselblad has ever released a medium format camera system that was not immediately supported by Capture One or Phocus. AFAIK, recent Hasselblads have also been supported by Lightroom/ACR upon release. If Hasselblad was able to get LR/ACR support for the X1D raw files months ago, why couldn't Fuji do the same?  The GFX is not supposed to be a $6500 point and shoot. There is no excuse  for this.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 12:25:27 pm »

If the X1D had shipped within the original announced timeline I doubt the LR support would have been there.   How fast we forget. LR came out with support in the last dot release as I recall.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 12:44:01 pm »

Look at the competition. I am sure neither Phase nor Hasselblad has ever released a medium format camera system that was not immediately supported by Capture One or Phocus. AFAIK, recent Hasselblads have also been supported by Lightroom/ACR upon release. If Hasselblad was able to get LR/ACR support for the X1D raw files months ago, why couldn't Fuji do the same?  The GFX is not supposed to be a $6500 point and shoot. There is no excuse  for this.

The key difference is that both Phase One and Hasselblad have control over the development of their own software. Fuji does not have control over Adobe's development schedule for ACR/LR RAW support.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 12:45:29 pm »

Looks like I spoke too soon....

Was just sent this from Samy's Camera a few minutes ago.

Good sign for others who placed orders the day of the announcement.

Congratulations!

So, I guess they didn't "slip" after all...Fuji is shipping when they said they would.

hcubell

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 12:46:35 pm »

If the X1D had shipped within the original announced timeline I doubt the LR support would have been there.   How fast we forget. LR came out with support in the last dot release as I recall.

Paul Caldwell

I think the X1D support was added to LR and ACR on December 8, 2016. There were no shipments to customers prior to that date. It is quite likely that Hasselblad would have seen to it to have LR/ACR support for the X1D if it had been able to start shipping much earlier. This is not Hasselblad's first rodeo with the Sony 50mp sensor. Moreover, there was raw support in Phocus AND THE ABILITY TO SHOOT RAWS ON X1D DEMOS available to customers long before December 8.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 12:49:25 pm »

I think the X1D support was added to LR and ACR on December 8, 2016. There were no shipments to customers prior to that date. It is quite likely that Hasselblad would have seen to it to have LR/ACR support for the X1D if it had been able to start shipping much earlier. This is not Hasselblad's first rodeo with the Sony 50mp sensor. Moreover, there was raw support in Phocus AND THE ABILITY TO SHOOT RAWS ON X1D DEMOS available to customers long before December 8.
There is raw support with Silkypix.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word

hcubell

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 12:55:02 pm »

The key difference is that both Phase One and Hasselblad have control over the development of their own software. Fuji does not have control over Adobe's development schedule for ACR/LR RAW support.

If Hasselblad with its relatively meager resources can work with Adobe to insure  timely LR support, surely Fuji could. This is just disappointing  to me. FUJI appears to have done everything else so well. I have a GFX on order that I SHOULD get soon, and I don't want to shoot JPEGs with film simulations. I really think that Fuji is extrapolating from its experience with the X series camera where a very high percentage of shooters just shoot JPEGs. You can tell from their GFX marketing material that they think JPEGs with those film simulations are showcased. Historically, that is not the medium format market.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 01:01:04 pm »

If Hasselblad with its relatively meager resources can work with Adobe to insure  timely LR support, surely Fuji could. This is just disappointing  to me. FUJI appears to have done everything else so well. I have a GFX on order that I SHOULD get soon, and I don't want to shoot JPEGs with film simulations. I really think that Fuji is extrapolating from its experience with the X series camera where a very high percentage of shooters just shoot JPEGs. You can tell from their GFX marketing material that they think JPEGs with those film simulations are showcased. Historically, that is not the medium format market.

Hasselblad wasn't even shipping cameras when ACR/LR support was implemented in December, 2016, so this example is not comparable. Fuji is working with Adobe and as I mentioned last week, ACR/LR support will follow in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:56:41 pm by Stephen Scharf »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:10 pm »

Howard makes a good point, I agree, the raw support on the GFX has been a bit slow in coming as all the beta testers I know of and or read reports from, were all limited to jpgs as if the RAW part of the camera had been turned off.   They could use the internal tif conversion however.

As for Silkypix, not much to state on that.  The last time I looked at the stripped down code that Fuji gives, it's extremely weak in features.  The Iridient solution that allows conversion of RAF to dng with sharpening is much better IMO.  Hopefully Iridient will have that type of support sometime.  I assume LR will have support in a month or so with a dot release. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 01:51:48 pm »

Howard makes a good point, I agree, the raw support on the GFX has been a bit slow in coming as all the beta testers I know of and or read reports from, were all limited to jpgs as if the RAW part of the camera had been turned off.   They could use the internal tif conversion however.

I don't think it's fair to say "raw support on the GFX has been a bit slow in coming". While most of the writers had pre-production bodies a couple of months ago (one told me he could shoot in raw), Adobe generally wait for production bodies before they support the camera. As that schedule showed it's very unusual for any new proprietary raw format to be supported immediately, and the GFX is no different. A DNG option might have meant support on day one though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up