Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 915298 times)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Trump II
« Reply #6400 on: September 23, 2017, 09:37:00 am »

Having respect for the dead even if they're not our relatives makes us more caring humans.
How about respecting those who live today and are still to be born? Leaving the Paris accords for mainly economic reasons isn't a sign of "caring humans" either.
I think this might even have a higher priority then respect for the dead.
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6401 on: September 23, 2017, 10:01:20 am »

That link wasn't about an individual - it was about an entire Christian church.

Wait, what!? The entire Christian church, the Pope and Orthodox patriarchs, preach beating women!?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6402 on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:38 am »

... women as they are not discriminated against as they were pre-ACA (higher premiums and restricted benefits)...

Oh, please! Discriminated!? Or simply more costly? Just as every next age group is costlier than the previous one. Is that age discrimination? Or simply a common sense that those whose medical costs are higher should pay higher premiums?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6403 on: September 23, 2017, 11:17:58 am »

How about respecting those who live today and are still to be born? Leaving the Paris accords for mainly economic reasons isn't a sign of "caring humans" either.
I think this might even have a higher priority then respect for the dead.
Rather than spending money on climate control that will affect great-grandchildren 50 years from now so they can live closer to the water and not be worried about a three inch increase in the sea levels, maybe we can take that money and save the hundreds of thousands of living people today who going to die of malaria tomorrow.  Rather than wasting tax dollars on climate control, how about lowering taxes so that the people living today can provide better things for their families.

These would be more caring allocations of our resources to help people.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6404 on: September 23, 2017, 12:17:17 pm »

Oh, please! Discriminated!? Or simply more costly? Just as every next age group is costlier than the previous one. Is that age discrimination? Or simply a common sense that those whose medical costs are higher should pay higher premiums?
Yes, by all means let's return to discrimination in the name of cost control.  Let's charge all women more for insurance, let's reverse the regulations regarding pre-existing conditions, let's change the current ratio for underwriting policies for older Americans; oh wait, that's what the Graham/Cassidy bill does.  We have a winner.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6405 on: September 23, 2017, 12:19:41 pm »

My point here is simple.  You keep on using freelancers as a reason to keep the ACA, while completely ignoring the fact that it was very easy to get coverage prior to the ACA and almost implying that this was not the case. 

Therefore, your arguments are moot.
No Joe, you have constantly misread my comments since this thread began and the other one where there was a discussion of the ACA.  I never made any comparison about the pre-ACA world as I had ZERO experience with it regarding my daughter's insurance.  My comments were always about how the ACA helped THEM.  You may not like that and your experience is different but DON'T go attacking me about what my observations are.  The ACA worked for my daughters and a number of their friends, END OF STORY.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6406 on: September 23, 2017, 12:24:12 pm »

Yes, by all means let's return to discrimination in the name of cost control....

That's neither discrimination, nor cost control. This is how insurance works. You pay more based on risk. If I move the same car from one zip-code to another, my premium changes. If I buy a Honda Accord of certain vintage, my premium jumps (hint: Accords of certain vintage turn out to be the most stolen cars in the U.S.)

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6407 on: September 23, 2017, 12:30:16 pm »

That's neither discrimination, nor cost control. This is how insurance works. You pay more based on risk. If I move the same car from one zip-code to another, my premium changes. If I buy a Honda Accord of certain vintage, my premium jumps (hint: Accords of certain vintage turn out to be the most stolen cars in the U.S.)
Yes, I'm aware of that and also the basic and to me unacceptable premise that health insurance will be super expensive for some people.  Remember, you and I are both products of a genetic lottery and may or may not have certain pre-existing conditions that will cost money to treat.  Sometimes this cost is trivial as in the case of controlling blood pressure and cholesterol using generic drugs.  Other things are quite costly to treat.  Now I'm not willing to accept the premise that someone, through no fault of their own, faces enormously large healthcare premiums.  We do not allow this under the Medicare program, why should it be countenanced under the various insurance programs for those under 65. 

But maybe you are OK with all of this.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6408 on: September 23, 2017, 03:01:17 pm »

It seems the US and North Korea aren't the only states waving their fingers at each other and acting belligerent.  It seems India and Pakistan are doing the same thing at the UN and in Asia.  Trump has company.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-assembly-india-pakistan/india-at-u-n-calls-pakistan-pre-eminent-export-factory-for-terror-idUSKCN1BY0S2?il=0 

Farmer

« Reply #6409 on: September 23, 2017, 04:32:02 pm »

Wait, what!? The entire Christian church, the Pope and Orthodox patriarchs, preach beating women!?

"An" entire Church, Slobo.  Come on, I know you can read, mate!

The Pope's busy heading a Church that protects priests who have sex with children, usually with boys because, you know, they also tell everyone that homosexuality is bad, right?

Phil Brown

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6410 on: September 23, 2017, 10:21:53 pm »

"Trump performs pick and roil on world of sports"
Cancels the customary NFL championship team meeting at the White House for what he feels are players disrespect for the National Anthem, flag and country.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-performs-pick-and-roil-on-world-of-sports/article/2635401

Trump speaks for the millions of Americans who are tired of listening to ungrateful athletes complain and disrespect their country that has made them famous and wealthy multi-millionaires. Everyone has right to give their opinions just like the athletes. It's a two-way street. It's time we showed that there are opinions beside the ungrateful few.

Additionally, he's playing politics, of course, as the left rails against him and the other "deplorables" he champions with his strong position.  He's playing the "patriot" card to satisfy and expand his base because a lot of people, even those who didn't vote for him, are tired of rich athletes acting ungrateful.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6411 on: September 23, 2017, 10:24:13 pm »

If you're comments were limited to, "my daughters were able to buy insurance on the exchanges," then it it would be end of story. 

But you then went on to talk about how "it is a critical resource for those who are working as contractors."  It simply is not a critical resource!  Many, and i repeat many, other resources existed, and still do, for freelancers to get health insurance besides the exchanges. 

It is not so critical if so many other just as easy to use resources (or even better, websites that did not crash for ~5 months on end upon release) exist. 

Oh, and today I got a "John Dear" letter from my insurance agency.  Due to the regulations stemming from the ACA, my coverage will not be offered next year.  Looks like I am in for another nice increase in my premium. 
Sorry to hear about the cancellation.  Does your state have other insurance companies you can go too?  What's the situation there?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6412 on: September 23, 2017, 11:53:54 pm »

Cancels the customary NFL championship team meeting at the White House for what he feels are players disrespect for the National Anthem, flag and country.

LOL...that's funny. Trump decides to pick fights with pro athletes because, well who is gonna care about them, right?

Ya might want to reread the article Alan, you got it wrong–the Golden State Warriors are a pro basketball team that plays in the NBA, not in the NFL...

Last night Trump admonished the NFL "owners" to fire the sons of bitches for not standing for the National Anthem (like the NFL owners "owned" the players and not the teams). When Steph Curry said he wasn't interested in going to the White House because of what Trump has said (and not said–particularly regarding Charlottesville), Trump disinvited him (or them, it was a tweet and one never knows exactly what Trump means when he tweets).

No worries..."In lieu of a visit to the White House, we have decided that we'll constructively use our trip to the nation's capital in February to celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion — the values that we embrace as an organization," said the Warriors.

So, what was it that the right was bitching about regarding the 1st amendment and free speech? So, exercise your 1st amendment rights and get fired?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6413 on: September 24, 2017, 01:07:36 am »

Bye now...bye bye...

Trump aides begin looking for the exits

“There is no joy in Trumpworld right now,” said one adviser of the environment among President Donald
Trump's current staffers.

After a wave of high-profile White House departures this summer, staffers who remained are reaching out to headhunters to discuss their next moves.

A fast-growing number of White House staffers are starting to look for the exits, even though the one-year mark of President Donald Trump’s first term is still months away.

Many who joined the administration in January did so with the explicit idea that they’d stay for at least a year, enough to credibly say they’d served. But in the aftermath of a wave of abrupt, high-profile departures over the summer that culminated with former chief strategist Steve Bannon’s ouster in August, aides up and down the chain are reaching out to headhunters, lobbyists, and GOP operatives for help finding their next job.

Staffers from the National Economic Council — where director Gary Cohn is expected to be on his way out altogether after tax reform or onto a different role — as well as the communications shop and beyond are quietly exploring their next moves. They’re talking to headhunters about positions as in-house government affairs experts at major companies, or as executives at trade associations, universities, or consulting firms — ironically, jobs that run counter to Trump’s “drain the swamp” mantra.

Political appointees want to leave for myriad reasons, according to recruiters, Republican operatives and White House officials. Morale is low, the Russia investigations seem only to grow in scope and constant churn at the top has left some staffers without patrons in a workplace known for backbiting and a tribal-like attitude.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6414 on: September 24, 2017, 01:10:22 am »

texshooter

« Reply #6415 on: September 24, 2017, 02:47:52 am »

Notwithstanding their hate for Trump, Americans are still patriotic.  The NFL would be wise to sit this one out.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6416 on: September 24, 2017, 08:05:58 am »

Notwithstanding their hate for Trump, Americans are still patriotic.  The NFL would be wise to sit this one out.
Why is the national anthem played before sporting events in the United States?  What does patriotism have to do with watching football, basketball, or baseball games?  Why do teams wear American flag patches on uniforms?  Who really cares if a player stands or kneels?

I don't watch much American sports these days, preferring to watch European soccer.  the only time national anthems are played is when national teams play one another in World Cup or European Cup matches.  I've never heard national anthems played prior to club matches.  this is only an American anachronism.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #6417 on: September 24, 2017, 08:12:02 am »

Sorry to hear about the cancellation.  Does your state have other insurance companies you can go too?  What's the situation there?
Thanks Alan. 

Well I certainly plan on shopping around, or maybe I'll just go insurance free since the penalty is a joke. 

Anyway, onto another subject.  Now I am no conspiracy theorist, but when a highly liberal reporter whom I follow on Facebook posts a story from a liberal news source on the issue of government spying, I had to give it a read.  You may enjoy it too. 

It looks like Obama did spy on Trump, just as he apparently did to me

I think the title is a little off, but hey you need people to read it.  It is quite disturbing though how much government spying was down by the Obama administration on political enemies, especially reporters. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:31:56 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6418 on: September 24, 2017, 09:24:19 am »

Anyway, onto another subject.  Now I am no conspiracy theorist, but when a highly liberal reporter whom I follow on Facebook posts a story from a liberal news source on the issue of government spying, I had to give it a read.  You may enjoy it too. 

It looks like Obama did spy on Trump, just as he apparently did to me

I think the title is a little off, but hey you need people to read it.  It is quite disturbing though how much government spying was down by the Obama administration on political enemies, especially reporters.
To quote Ford Maddox Ford, Sharyl Attkisson is an "unreliable narrator."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6419 on: September 24, 2017, 09:50:27 am »

Why is the national anthem played before sporting events in the United States? ... this is only an American anachronism.

Perhaps... but first you'd have to get rid of millions of American flags everyday and everywhere, on porches, roofs, yards, cranes, American presidents' and politicians' lapels, etc. And get rid of the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in every school in America.

Or perhaps... it is American patriotism. Americans love their country. Europeans, apparently not so much. Otherwise, they wouldn't let them be so easily OD (occupied and decimated) in not so distant future.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:02:25 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 331   Go Up