Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D Hands On Review  (Read 18010 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Hasselblad X1D Hands On Review
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:01:04 pm »

I have published a review on the Hasselblad X1D Camera on the home page.  It's a long review with a video and an explanation of the settings on the X1D.  We also have 2 new features for this site introduced in this review.  One feature is a before and after slide over.  We also have 100% zoom on the sample images.  Click on an image and it will open a new window.  You use the magnifier icon to zoom in.  You can pan and scroll around the image.  You can then return to the article which should be in a separate window.  Or, you can click on the arrow in the upper left corner and you go to a gallery of other images you can click on. 

Bottom line I like this camera a lot.  Hasselblad needs to round out the lens offering as quickly as possible.  It's going to be interesting seeing how the X1d, Pentax, Fuji and GX all do in this space. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rory

• Recent images
Re: Hasselblad X1D Hands On Review
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:52:47 pm »

Thanks for the review Kevin.  I was a little confused by this statement:

"On the rear of the camera are two other buttons.  These are easy to reach with your thumb when shooting.  They are AE lock and AF drive button.  This is the first camera that actually gets the idea that many us like a rear AF button."

I've been using a rear AF button for fifteen years on my Nikon, Canon and Olympus cameras.  I wore the text off the AF button on my D700.  :*)  Are you talking about something else, or do you mean this is the first Hasselblad with this feature?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:01:49 pm by Rory »
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »

Most of the time you need to custom set a button on the back of many cameras to make it auto-focus.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:22:25 pm »

Thanks for the review.

GPS was either not installed or working on the camera I was using. When it works, it will be a great tool, especially for the landscape photographer.

For your information, none of the demo cameras and none of the customer shipment cameras [so far] have GPS, contrary to the specs and contrary to the interview(s) you had with the Hasselblad leaders. Disappointing for a landscape photographer who enjoys geotagging.

Also, I pre-ordered the camera and two lenses the day following the announcement and am still waiting on the camera.  >:(

jkhansen

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »

Solid review of the camera and its functionality. Thanks much for that.

Sadly, no one has a clue if the end users who ordered back in July will ever actually see the cameras they've paid for. Sensor availability and version 1 firmware not being locked until the end of November doesn't line up with where we are now; zero end user cameras having been shipped halfway through January...

If the above issues were the real problem, HB would've been shipping in "real," albeit small, quantities a month and a half ago.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:11 pm »

It will be interesting to see how it competes against the Fuji MF mirrorless.  Rumored prices are $2K less for the Fuji body.
Regards,
Ron

Dan Carr

• http://www.dancarrphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »

I don't really understand how batteries discharging 50% overnight, and repeated over exposures requiring batteries to be removed, can be called "minor issues". These kinds of faults would be headline news if they happened in a $1200 Canon or Nikon product at launch. Why does a $9000 camera get off so lightly?

EddieX

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:09:22 am »

It will be interesting to see how it competes against the Fuji MF mirrorless.  Rumored prices are $2K less for the Fuji body.

Actually more than that. Latest rumor on the price is $6500 for body only.  I'm not sure if that price includes the EVF. Another rumor is that Fuji will be also making an adapter for the Hasselblad H mount. And supposedly it will start shipping in late February.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:15:03 am by EddieX »

NickT

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 01:12:19 am »

For your information, none of the demo cameras and none of the customer shipment cameras [so far] have GPS, contrary to the specs and contrary to the interview(s) you had with the Hasselblad leaders. Disappointing for a landscape photographer who enjoys geotagging.

Hi Joe
There is a GPS unit but it's external (hotshoe) and included as part of the package.

FelixBelloin

• My gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:54 am »

Thanks for the review Kevin!
It's exciting to see Hasselblad and Fuji coming up with "affordable" small sized medium format camera. While I am not interested in the first generation of the stuff, it bodes well for price reduction and quality improvements over the years.
For the moment, I am content with my FF camera and high quality glass, I cannot justify the price of a medium format system, but I am happy competition is starting to have an impact on the MF technology.

elundqvist_photo

• Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:39 am »

I rented a X1D over the weekend and I have a few things to add to Kevin's article.

- I left the battery in the X1D on the nights of: Friday, Saturday and Sunday and each morning the battery was at 100%.
- You press the AF/MF button for 1 second to unlock the focus point selection, not for 3 seconds.
- I only made roughly 400 exposures but none of them went crazy overexposed.
- I too got fed up with Phocus :)
- I am very excited about the X1D

Erik

Krug

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:57 am »

Having occasionally criticized Lula in recent months let me hasten to applaud Kevin for this excellent extensive and expert review. It is exactly what I have always expected and relished in the best work of Lula over the years. A really worthwhile contribution for those of us interested in a factual analysis of what this year seems likely to offer at the frontline of photography developments.

Thank you Kevin very much indeed, In the highest traditions of Lula.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

fotagf8

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:30 am »

I have not watched the video yet, so maybe you cover it there, but I am curious about the absence of image stabilization.  The photographs shown look great, but were there any problems given the large pixel count?  I would most often use this camera on a tripod, but it would be nice to be able to handhold for urban architecture while walking a city.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:43 am »

Thanks, Kevin, for the review; it made me think!  I would be interested to know how it stacks up against the competition.  It is a 50MP medium format camera, but there are already others with this number of pixels, e.g. the Canon 5DS & 5DS R bodies, albeit with smaller sensors. In the UK a national supplier is selling these at £2799 and £2999 respectively.  A London Hasselblad supplier is advertising the X1D for £6490, body only.  For the price of the X1D I could get both Canon bodies and have some change.  What makes the X1D worth considering?  Is it the IQ, the versatility, the name, the style or ...?  To me the first two are important and it would be nice to see some comparisons.  Given the history of Hasselblad and its film camera reputation, I am pleased to see that there is demand for the X1d beyond manufacturer expectations.  However, in these days of stiff competition and fast changing technology (the time period of the modern version of Moore's Law seems to be getting shorter and shorter), how will it stand up in the marketplace?

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Luke_Miller

• http://www.peppermill-multimedia.com
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:34 am »

The shutter sound Kevin described is very much like that on my Leica M-240 when using the EVF.  On the Leica when the shutter button is pressed the shutter must first close, then open & close to the take the exposure, and finally re-open to return to LV/EVF mode. A lot of clickety clacks and a challenge for photographing dynamic subjects.  Hopefully this is not what's happening with the X1D

spb_ch

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 09:52:46 am »

Thank you Kevin for the review. I am intruîqued by the comments on shutter lag and noisy shutter. One would think lag could be dealt with by a firmware fix but a noisy shutter, that sounds not fixable and as it is in the lens even more so without a period of time with a camera and no lenses.

When I had my demo it sounded different, but I couldn't tell about lag. I could live with the noisy shutter if I could forsee a time when it would be better/quieter.....

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:37 am »

A few comments, Image quality is very good but as expected with a 50MP sensor.  The IQ from a Pentax is just as nice.  The Canon also has a fine IQ but I found IQ from the Canon it didn't hold together as well at higher ISO and had less dynamic range.  We covered that in an article pretty extensively a while back in an article by Micahel Tapes.  Based on what I have seen I would think the Fuji GFX to be of similar IQ.  As the weeks progress, I believe those interested in a 50MP camera are going to have look at a lot of things.  Look and feel plays a big part.  Lens availibilty, Leaf shutter vs Focal Plane shutter.  Shutter responsiveness.  Frames Per Second shooting speed.  AF sensors, does it have good and fast CF, Does it have tracking?  Can you zone AF? 

I'll know a lot more about the Fuji system in the coming days. I also believe there may be other entries into this field in the not so distant future.  I'll get a chance to review the Fuji and will but it through its paces. 

As far as the shutter in the X1d it is as I described.  You can also listen to it on the video I did.  There is a lot happening to take a photo.  I know there is a shutter lag because I pressed the shutter button as explained in the review on a couple of times and thought I'd caught the shot and I didn't.  We'll have to see if the Fuji has the same thing.

Michael Tapes comparison of ISOs . -  https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7r-ii-review-dynamic-range-compared-to-canon-5dsr-canon-1dx-and-nikon-d810/

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

FelixBelloin

• My gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 10:58:13 am »

For the price of the X1D I could get both Canon bodies and have some change.

Hi Jonathan,

I have been shooting with the 5DSr for a while now. The pixel count is just the first part of the story, the pixel size is another one. When you look at the files Kevin uploaded at different ISO increments, you can see that the darks are essentially noise free beyond base ISO. The 5DSr is a great tripod camera if I may. Leave it at ISO 100, turn on mirror lock up and 2 second delay and you got yourself a perfectly capable imaging device with plenty of detail. Plus you can save a bit of money on top of that and get the best glass for the money...
Felix

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »

Most of the time you need to custom set a button on the back of many cameras to make it auto-focus.

Not with Nikon - at least not with the D800 line.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:44 pm »

Hi,

EFCS (Electronic First Shutter Curtain) can eliminate that lag.

First info from Hasselblad and Ming Tein indicated that Hasselblad was using sensor reset in combination with the shutter to achieve high shutter speeds. In that scenario there would not be any need to close, open, close shutter. It would stay open before and during the exposure. The shutter would close after exposure, to allow readout from the exposed sensor and than open again to allow live view. So, two clicks would be needed, around 0.3 s between, at the end of exposure.

Best regards
Erik

Thank you Kevin for the review. I am intruîqued by the comments on shutter lag and noisy shutter. One would think lag could be dealt with by a firmware fix but a noisy shutter, that sounds not fixable and as it is in the lens even more so without a period of time with a camera and no lenses.

When I had my demo it sounded different, but I couldn't tell about lag. I could live with the noisy shutter if I could forsee a time when it would be better/quieter.....
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up