Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Acquired By DJI  (Read 59655 times)

hubell

Re: Hasselblad Acquired By DJI
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2017, 10:24:59 pm »

Or some less mirrorless less
This Hasselblad seems Cameraless
less is more ;)

Dr. Seuss, I presume.

Domenico

• My 500px portfolio
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2017, 03:54:12 am »

Best Regards,   Domenico.

JeffS

« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2017, 10:01:37 am »

I really like the X1D camera.  The review is well underway and will be published as soon as possible. 

I can no longer find the comments you wrote in a recent X1D article that you experienced a number of frustrations and that the GFX was more likely to be the 'workhorse', with features that could well overshadow the X1D.  Were those words edited out or did I just miss finding them?

I hope all this recent controversy over Hasselblad won't cause you to ease up on honest and direct commentary regarding the X1D.

Jeff

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2017, 10:39:25 am »

Jeff, Haven't edited any of those but I doubt I would have said that at this point. I believe very soon we'll be able compare specs for ourselves for both systems.  I have been working on the review and will do so all weekend. Stay tuned.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rob C

« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:26 am »

Ming Thein's blog article looks to me to be one of the most balanced and well-written pieces on this issue. Well worth reading.

God, Chris how I'd like to agree with you!

But:

" I really don’t see why it’s such a big deal in photography; we don’t beat our breasts and pull out our hair when our washing-machine manufacturer moves production or gets bought over."......Ming T.

That is 100% wrong!

We had a Zanussi washing machine for over fifteen years that did a perfect wash in about an hour. Then if failed and parts were not available. So I bought another Zanussi. It has screwed up my days, never mind my wash.

After much hunting, I discovered a Rapid Wash setting (on the left side of the choices! - who'd look for enlightenment there?), which does the job in about 30mins but only accepts half the weight of wash. Worse, for a very hard water area, the softener tablet only dissolves about half of itself in that time (and never completely even on a full run), so not full protection for the pipes etc. So that's no good: better wash longer and protect the system from the hard water.

The normal wash, believe it or not, took three hours the last time I ran it, and as consequence, everything came out beyond crease-resistant nightmares: I have a whole new bunch of wrinkles to play with. Which in winter, as cold doesn't let my T-shirts show, is not too bad, but man you should see the mess it's made of curtains! A previous setting did the job in two hours, so I must try to figure out what that setting might have been - it's all about combinations of settings: not only are there settings, but sub-settings to those. Digital camera makers have set one helluva bad precedent. Zanussi Lindo 100, in case anybody knows - and can pass on - a magical setting that also runs a full load in an hour!

I simply don't trust the sytem enough to switch on, leave it running and go out to do whatever I have to do, and come home calmly expecting the job to be done and no floods or whatever waiting to greet me. So wash-day is a lost day. At my age, every day is an important one, even if they are generally all the same - in good periods.

No idea who owns the company, whether it's Chinese or Swedish or even, as I might be given to imagining, Italian money.

Now, is that flaw in Ming's argument enough to discredit his point of view?

;-)

Rob

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2017, 02:04:15 pm »

Jeff, try a Google search of the domain such as this:

raber+workhorse site:luminous-landscape.com

So that's any occurrences of both raber and workhorse on this site. This search led to this thread and looking for the word "workhorse" took me to the following quote: "I'm guessing that the GFX will be the real workhorse". Who said it? None other than JeffS.

JeffS

« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2017, 02:14:59 pm »

I already did such a search and was about to clarify.....the 'workhorse' comment did indeed come from a Fuji Rumors article, and I used that terminology here.  So, for that, my apologies to Kevin.

But Kevin's comment about some GFX features overshadowing the X1D was made in a forum post by Kevin on Dec 29th (regarding the X1D GPS), as follows:  "Based on my limited use with the Fuji GFX I think that the GFX may have some features, that will over shadow the X1D. ."

I also recall Kevin saying that he had some frustrations with the X1D that he would clarify in his upcoming review.  Don't remember where.

Jeff

hubell

« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2017, 02:22:47 pm »

Wow. It's one thing to hear what you want to hear, but still another to say what you want to hear and then attribute it to the author of a camera review.
(Just kidding, Jeff.)

JeffS

« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2017, 02:31:06 pm »

Wow. It's one thing to hear what you want to hear, but still another to say what you want to hear and then attribute it to the author of a camera review.
(Just kidding, Jeff.)

Attribute it to old age. Three things were said (written) about the X1D in a short period of time, each of which resonated with me.  Unfortunately only 2 of the 3 were mentioned by Kevin, and the most potentially controversial one was in a forum comment (see above), not in a featured article.

Shoot me.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:39:25 pm by JeffS »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2017, 03:41:58 pm »

Hi Kevin,

If I may comment, I would admit that I didn't really like the tone of your article. Now, you clearly have more information than most of us.

My feeling is like this:

• I am definitively out of medium format
  • So I am just a very interested bystander

There are some reasons I quit MFD and the X1D goes a long way to cure those problems. So does the Fuji GFX, by the way, especially now that I have seen reports they have EFCS and ES.

I was not so positive at Ventizz taking over Hasselblad and I feel those blinged up Sonys proved my point. In your interview, Perry Oosting was very happy having DJI as a partner. DJI is a technology company and I would guess that their investment is more about fascination with photography than short term earnings.

So, I would regard the DJI investment as a positive from where I stand.

Sure, DJI is a far east company. They may have a different view on production efficiency than traditional Hasselblad and that may mean a shake up/wake up for Hasselblad.

My understanding is that Japanese production methods focus on doing things right from the beginning, while the European way is to adjust in assembly.

I can mention that I once in my youth was working at an assembly line, putting together chain saws for a then famous Swedish maker. We had a lot of issues with screws, coming from a Swedish company, "Bulten Kanthal". After some time they switched to a Spanish maker of screws and many problems were resolved. The crankshafts were made in by our company and they had incredibly bad tolerances and I had the pleasure to discover that. Once you had a bad crankshaft, you had to dismount it using a hammer. The bearings of the next chain saw in line probably overheated while you were "fixing the issue". So each failure affected at least two products.

Doing things right the first time is a great approach…

Best regards
Erik

Jeff, Haven't edited any of those but I doubt I would have said that at this point. I believe very soon we'll be able compare specs for ourselves for both systems.  I have been working on the review and will do so all weekend. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:38:56 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

JeffS

« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »

Hi Jeff,

If I may comment, I would admit that I didn't really like the tone of your article. Now, you clearly have more information than most of us.

I assume you meant Kevin. 

Jeff

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2017, 06:17:31 pm »

I think we are spinning. I really can't wait to try both the X1D and the GFX in the real world. I expect both will do their job but it will be interesting. My feeling after handling both is that the X1D is the sexier camera, but the GFX is more usable.

However, currently I'm not interested in any of these cameras. It's just a to large step back IQ wise. A second generation with a modern CMOS could be quite interesting. If Sony doesn't kill them with a 75MP 35 chip.

All in all I love what is happening. Everything is in Motion and I honestly wish every camera company the best, because there is nothing worse then no competition. (See the adobe stuff)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2017, 11:39:19 pm »

Thanks!

Erik

I assume you meant Kevin. 

Jeff
Erik Kaffehr

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2017, 06:28:06 am »

TravelPhotographyGuru

« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2017, 02:01:21 am »

Great article Kevin. I'd be nervous if I was one of those folk who recently ordered a new Hasselblad camera. However, I tend to adopt a positive outlook, more often than not, at times like this. I was at Kodak for 8 years towards the end of the glory days at 'old yellow' so I'm particularly concerned for the loyal and hard working staff at Hasselblad. With luck management will be given money and what ever else it is they need to get on with the job under their new and progressive CEO. This is one venerable old company that I want to see survive, indeed to thrive.

Rob C

« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2017, 05:27:13 am »

Great article Kevin. I'd be nervous if I was one of those folk who recently ordered a new Hasselblad camera. However, I tend to adopt a positive outlook, more often than not, at times like this. I was at Kodak for 8 years towards the end of the glory days at 'old yellow' so I'm particularly concerned for the loyal and hard working staff at Hasselblad. With luck management will be given money and what ever else it is they need to get on with the job under their new and progressive CEO. This is one venerable old company that I want to see survive, indeed to thrive.

Except that it's not the same venerable old company: as ownerships go through change, so does any company. The company Victor had could not remain that way after him; let's face it - even our kids are never clones of ourselves, our values and our dreams. Apart from that, times change, customers chage, formats, systems and the usefulness of all those factors come and go. Being with Kodak, you should know that more than most.

And no, I'm no Hassy-basher: I loved my 500C and 500CM more than any other cameras except the Nikon F, with which they concurrantly shared my emotions.

Of course I wish the company well, even if I will probably never again feel able to afford to indulge myself of their products.

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Second shoe dropped…
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2017, 02:23:18 am »

Erik Kaffehr

NickT

« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2017, 04:16:18 am »

Perry has been a great CEO but has decided it is time to step down, he will be sorely missed.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2017, 07:47:35 am »

Perry has been a great CEO but has decided it is time to step down, he will be sorely missed.

Hi Nick,

The timing of it is just too coincidental with the majority stake takeover by DJI to be (the job is done) credible.

I'm afraid this may cause a huge amount of pre-order cancellations, which would be a shame.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

NickT

« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2017, 02:26:43 pm »

Hi Nick,

The timing of it is just too coincidental with the majority stake takeover by DJI to be (the job is done) credible.

I'm afraid this may cause a huge amount of pre-order cancellations, which would be a shame.

Cheers,
Bart

Sorry Bart but people are not going to change their mind about buying a camera because of a management change... Now they are finally shipping decent numbers I think they'll see an uptick in orders.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up