Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000 ink "usage" for small paper size?  (Read 9470 times)

pperreault

• Pierre Perreault Photography
Canon Pro-1000 ink "usage" for small paper size?
« on: December 30, 2016, 01:45:42 pm »

Hi guys!

It's my first post on this great forum! I'll be buying my first photo printer ever in the next few days and I lean toward the Canon Pro-1000 (compared to the Epson P-800). Because of my work, the printer will be left off for 2 weeks a couple of times during the year and from what I read the Canon seems to be better regarding clogging issues when left unused for some time?

The only thing that bugs me with the Pro-1000 is that a read a couple of times, including on this forum, that it consumes something like 0.3ml of ink after each print for "maintenance" duty?

If it's true? It seems like a lot of ink going to the maintenance tank when printing 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 proofs? So if I print four "4 x 6" in a row, it's sending 1,2 ml to the maintenance tank?

Any Pro-1000 users with a first hand opinion on that matter?

Thanks in advance and have a some nice holidays!

Pierre

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canon Pro-1000 ink "usage" for small paper size?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 01:50:03 pm »

Maintenance operations don't depend on the size of paper you run through the printer. It depends on how many sq.ft. have been printed, how long the printer has been left idle, environmental conditions, etc. In any case 0.3 ml of ink is trivial. Don't worry about it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pperreault

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 02:17:45 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply Mark!

I've read and re-read both your reviews of the Pro-1000 and P-800 and it helped formed an opinion because compared to a camera or a lense, you cannot really try a printer in a store...

Am I right saying that you seem to have a "small" preference for the Pro-1000?

Regards,

Pierre

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:30:09 pm »

Pierre,

It isn't the purpose of the reviews I do to express personal preferences between products. Each review is a stand-alone set of observations from my testing and usage experience. Readers can take away from those reviews the items that are of most interest or importance to them in making their own decisions about which product would best suit their needs. Different people have different preferences or requirements, so mine don't really matter in this and shouldn't influence a decision. Two objective distinguishing features I would draw to your attention are that the SCP800 allows the option of a roll holder and does not have the stringent length limitation of the Pro-1000. As well there are certain very thick media that can be flat-fed through the SCP800 which the Canon printer cannot accommodate. So if these factors are critical to you, that points to a decision. If not, you still have two options to consider. I also think it objectively fair to say that sheet loading is faster, easier and less likely to skew with the Pro-1000. The quality of output from this whole crop of current professional printers from both manufacturers meets a very high bar. There are subtle differences of output characteristics between them which only the user can appreciate and decide on the importance by going to a dealer that carries them and looking at actual prints. 

Zolty

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 05:16:57 pm »

Not the first hand experience - but users' opinion from other forum (my translation - forgive my English).

User was experiencing huge ink consumption during regular printing, what was bothering him was that the split between on-paper/into maintenance tank was like 2:1. He ended having his PRo-1000 serviced and then repeated his observations. Ink consumption dropped but below is translation of what may interest you in regards to small prints:

"For one A2 print printer uses maximum 4 ml on Lustre/Glossy paper in Standard quality with Gloss Optimizer on Auto.
Between A2 prints 0,18 ml of ink ends in maintenance tank.
It turns out, that despite sending to printer whole series of 47 prints 4x6 (account manager reports it as one print job of 47 prints and reports summary ink consumption for all 47 prints), after every of the 4x6 prints, printerdoes some maintenance, as if it has just printed A2.
To make things worse - for printing whole series of 47 prints, PRO-1000 used 16.6 ml of ink (incl 6.5 ml of CO) for prints and additionally 8 ml of ink ended in Maintenance tank (incl 3 ml of CO).
It is sick!
It turns out, that no matter which size it prints, it always "spits" 0.18 ml to Maintenance tank between prints.
Due to maintenance process between prints, printing 47 pieces of 4x6 took very long - maintenance between prints took more time than printing of each print itself.
As it is - this printer is not suitable for printing 4x6, 5x7 - total ink usage to print 47 4x6 prints was 16.6ml+8ml = 24.6 ml of ink. (in Poland it would equal to 18.5 USD)
One could place 16 4x6 prints on one A2 paper - so 47 4x6 prints would take 3 x A2. Ink usage in this scenario would be 3 x 12 ml + 3x0.18 ml into maintenance tank = total of 12.6 ml."

If you use Windows or Parallels - go for QImage.... ;)

Below is the link to original post (I Polish) - should you like to use google translator:
http://www.mva.pl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2925&start=60#p36792PRO-1000 small prints

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:20:11 pm by Zolty »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »

Not the first hand experience - but users' opinion from other forum (my translation - forgive my English).

User was experiencing huge ink consumption during regular printing, what was bothering him was that the split between on-paper/into maintenance tank was like 2:1. He ended having his PRo-1000 serviced and then repeated his observations. Ink consumption dropped but below is translation of what may interest you in regards to small prints:

"For one A2 print printer uses maximum 4 ml on Lustre/Glossy paper in Standard quality with Gloss Optimizer on Auto.
Between A2 prints 0,18 ml of ink ends in maintenance tank.
It turns out, that despite sending to printer whole series of 47 prints 4x6 (account manager reports it as one print job of 47 prints and reports summary ink consumption for all 47 prints), after every of the 4x6 prints, printerdoes some maintenance, as if it has just printed A2.
To make things worse - for printing whole series of 47 prints, PRO-1000 used 16.6 ml of ink (incl 6.5 ml of CO) for prints and additionally 8 ml of ink ended in Maintenance tank (incl 3 ml of CO).
It is sick!
It turns out, that no matter which size it prints, it always "spits" 0.18 ml to Maintenance tank between prints.
Due to maintenance process between prints, printing 47 pieces of 4x6 took very long - maintenance between prints took more time than printing of each print itself.
As it is - this printer is not suitable for printing 4x6, 5x7 - total ink usage to print 47 4x6 prints was 16.6ml+8ml = 24.6 ml of ink. (in Poland it would equal to 18.5 USD)
One could place 16 4x6 prints on one A2 paper - so 47 4x6 prints would take 3 x A2. Ink usage in this scenario would be 3 x 12 ml + 3x0.18 ml into maintenance tank = total of 12.6 ml."

If you use Windows or Parallels - go for QImage.... ;)

Below is the link to original post (I Polish) - should you like to use google translator:
http://www.mva.pl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2925&start=60#p36792PRO-1000 small prints

What does QImage have to do with this? QImage is a printing interface - you still need a printer. I don't know QImage but I doubt it controls how much ink the printer uses for maintenance, so I doubt it is relevant to this topic - unless it is shown to me otherwise.

Where did he get his information about how much ink was going into the maintenance tank between prints? Canon does not make this information available, and as far as I know they are not planning to change the software to do so. No printer manufacturer I am aware of makes this information available.

The print job (47*4*6) in this post amounts to 7.8 sq.ft. of coverage. If the account manager says this is using 16.6 ml laid on paper, this is 2.1 ml per sq.ft. of coverage. My Epson 4900 uses 2.24 ml/sq.ft. of coverage on luster-type papers, so the ink laydown reported here is within the range of expectations. Ink laydown also varies A LOT depending on the density of the photos being printed. But there is no information here about that.

I'm far from convinced that there is anything "sick" in all of this until more is learned about really how much ink goes into the maintenance tank for a job like this and how that information was determined.

Zolty

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:10:21 pm »

I mentioned QImage - as this software makes stacking 16 4x6 pics on one A2 easier.
Regarding the consumption - the person I quoted/translated has been experiencing huge consumption (or should I say huge amount going to maintenance tank) and started checking weight of the Maintenance Tank regularly. He stated that after having PRO-1000 serviced by Canon amount of ink going to Maintenance tank has significantly reduced. To verify his measurement he was also checking weight of cartridges - in quoted forum there is another thread about his problems. Anyway - it is not the amount that goes on paper that is considered high.
By quote I wanted just indicate that PRO-1000 might not be the best choice if one plans to print mainly 4x6 or 5x7.
Regarding info of the amount used between prints - I fully agree than none of the manufacturers provides this data (and it is not included in Canon's accounting software), but at least one review of PRO-1000 indicate that that it uses ink (Australian review)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:22:39 pm by Zolty »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:34 pm »

Ok, useful clarifications. On QImage it is perhaps worth mentioning that one can also fit the 4*6 photos onto an A2 size sheet pretty easily in the Lightroom Print Module, but that is a whole different topic. The main issue being raised in his posts is about ink going into the maintenance tank between each small scale print. I think the factual basis for this being correct default behaviour should be raised with Canon because it strikes me as kind of peculiar.

pperreault

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:01:13 pm »

Hi,

I also find it weird that a Pro-1000 would consume that much ink for maintenance between each small prints (4 x 6), the same as after an A2 print it seems... But since I have seen this mentioned a couple of times in different forums I think that there's "maybe" actually something going on with the ink consumption during maintenance between each print...

As you said Mark, it should be raised with Canon but I'm not sure the sales staff or tech support staff will have any solid information on that... The answer I anticipate is "some ink is use for maintenance..."

I don't know if you have a contact at Canon to raise that potential issue with them?

Regards,

Pierre

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 08:13:22 pm »

I don't know if you have a contact at Canon to raise that potential issue with them?

Regards,

Pierre

Possibly after New Year.

pperreault

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:31:16 pm »

Thanks for your time Mark, I really appreciate it!

I'm almost decided on the Canon, even with this potential issue regarding ink, so I'll probably be Pro-1000 owner in the next few days... :)

And if I don't like Canon answers regarding ink usage for maintenance, I'll simply sue them for 1 million $$$ LOL!

Enjoy the holidays!

Pierre

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 09:34:00 pm »

Thanks Pierre - best of the New Year to you too.

The last laugh may be of there is no answer at all to either like or dislike - and this is not a far-fetched outcome, but we'll see! :-)

Mark

pperreault

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 07:23:30 pm »

Hi Mark!

I hoped you had great holidays!

I'm still not completely decided between the Pro-1000 and P-800!!! But let's say the Pro-1000 is the leader!

BTW, I've been to a photo exhibition today and it really confirmed that I need to print my work at home!

I'm taking a chance to ask if you could ask your contact at Canon if they have an opinion or facts about the ink usage we talk earlier in this thread... For small prints and maintenance...

Thanks in advance and have a nice day/evening!

Pierre

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 07:51:17 pm »

Not yet.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 04:44:38 am »

I wonder how the ml usage was measured. How accurate was that?  Meaning that the 'measured' volume may be rather inaccurate, and maybe that mechanism was even faulty, nothing like the actual volume? IMHO, only a recording of the weight of tanks will tell the true story.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:36:15 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

maximilian59

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:12 pm »

Hello,
I don't think this printer is consuming to much ink. As I already wrote here in this post the ink is not the cost driver.
I am wondering how 0.18 ml have been measured. Assuming that one ml weights 1g like water, the person was able to weight at an accuracy of 1/100 of a gram. That is pretty good. This printer is made for 17" wide prints with expensive fine art paper. If an A2 or A3+ print is spoiled because of printhead failure, you lost a lot more than 0.18 ml of ink. This is an expensive printer I expect it to work properly for a few thousand prints or some 1000 thousand square feet.

unesco

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 12:14:36 pm »

I have participated, somehow, in the discussion on another forum mentioned in one of the initial posts about Pro-1000 ink usage for maintenace.
The procedure of measureing it seems to be correct (we analysed it carefully): two Canon software sources for accounting - general (1 ml accuracy) and detailled (very datailled) per channel +  weighting both, carts and maintenace tank. All for several series of printouts.

All that sources correlated with each other very well.

As for cart removal, offcialy it is forbiden until it gets empty. They did it, but because of internal buffering tanks (~30 ml) inside the printer their weigth influence can be seen after a longer period of operation.

All in all, the conclusion was that the printer is probably faulty, since 2 printers from another user did not behave like the tested one - on the other hand thare is quite a lot of similar information on the web from other users of this printer of have ink use for maintenance after each printout, so maybe quality control at Canon has some problems.

Hope it helps.

FrankStark

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »

QImage Ultimate is mentioned in the thread above.

Mark, a review of this product would be appreciated. Would be interested in hearing your perspective on its features.

Thanks

F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:38 pm »

QImage Ultimate is mentioned in the thread above.

Mark, a review of this product would be appreciated. Would be interested in hearing your perspective on its features.

Thanks

F.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the interest, but I don't do either Windows or QImage, so I won't be reviewing it. But as you know, QImage has a wide following with a lot of material written about it elsewhere on the Internet. My workflow is very simple and it produces fine results: it's Lightroom from Camera to Print, with periodic recourse to Photoshop when I need to do certain things LR can't. 

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 05:20:30 am »

two Canon software sources for accounting - general (1 ml accuracy) and detailled (very datailled) per channel +  weighting both, carts and maintenace tank.

So the accounting software does in take into account the ink lost to the maintenance tank?

I was suprised to see that after the initial set up, the printer utility showed only 40% remaining ink and substantial use of the maintenance tank... but my plan is to stop thinking about it and enjoy the prints :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up