Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image appears different in ACR vs PS  (Read 7145 times)

tonyespofoito

Image appears different in ACR vs PS
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:03:49 am »

If I process a RAW image in ACR, using ProPhoto and 16bit, when opened in PS using the same settings, the image appears different. The color balance doesn't appear the same. I'm sure I must be making some mistake, but I can't figure out what it is. I am using CC 2015.5. Doesn't matter which camera, no matter the choice, same result. Any help will be appreciated.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Image appears different in ACR vs PS
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:29:28 am »

if you go to "edit" / "color settings" in PS what is the working space set at?
pieter, aka pegelli

tonyespofoito

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:06:51 am »

It is set to Prophoto. The image is a 16bit image. PS is set to the same settings I processed the image at in ACR. I am viewing the image on a Wacom Cintiq tablet. If I print the image, the printed image is a very good match for the image on the Cintiq. But it doesn't match the image, also viewed on the Cintiq, in ACR. The difference is not dramatic, but it is different. Thank you for taking an interest in this. I appreciate your help.
Tony

scyth

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:31:47 pm »

It is set to Prophoto. The image is a 16bit image. PS is set to the same settings I processed the image at in ACR. I am viewing the image on a Wacom Cintiq tablet. If I print the image, the printed image is a very good match for the image on the Cintiq. But it doesn't match the image, also viewed on the Cintiq, in ACR. The difference is not dramatic, but it is different. Thank you for taking an interest in this. I appreciate your help.
Tony

I'd simply put the screenshot of that dialog to see all fields, including Advance controls, because who knows...

Redcrown

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 04:10:41 pm »

Welcome to LuLa. More info (and screen shots) would be helpful. When did this problem start? The Wacom tablet sounds like the most likely suspect, did you just add it? Just upgrade to CC 2015?

Here's some tests I'd run.

Process in Adobe98 and sRGB. Do those colorspaces also show a difference between ACR and Photoshop, or is it just ProPhoto?

Save a copy directly from ACR (jpeg, tif). That by-passes Photoshop. Does that saved copy, when displayed in Photoshop match ACR or Photoshop?

Re-load a Photoshop saved image into ACR. How does it compare?

The few reports of problems like this seem to be due to "corrupted" profiles. Some report solving the problem by resetting all preferences.

paulster

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:48:15 pm »

Does it look the same when you turn off 'Use Graphics Processor' in Edit->Preferences->Performance?

There is a long-standing bug in Photoshop where it doesn't properly render ProPhoto RGB images (both 8 and 16-bit) when any of the 'Use Graphics Processor' options are switched on.  It took me over a year of fighting with them and sending multiple test images to demonstrate the problem on their own systems before they'd finally acknowledge that it was a Photoshop problem and not my environment, but who knows when we'll ever see the fix.

It's been an issue for years, seemingly.

You typically see the problem with color gradation and bokeh areas, which become blotchy, but the color balance itself also seems to be off.

It's a huge frustration for me because some filters (e.g. Liquify) rely on having GPU acceleration enabled, but I can't use it for any serious color work with the GPU enabled.

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 10:37:00 pm »

Paulster,
Here I do not need to disable the GPU, only change the Drawing Mode to Basic

tonyespofoito

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:36:20 pm »

I turned off graphics processor, restarted PS, no change in image. Tried opening as a smart object, again, no change. Saved as a jpeg out of ACR, then opened in CC2015, same problem. The 2 images, in either Prophoto or sRGB appear identical to each other. Neither looks like the preview in ACR. In PS, the images are greatly over-saturated and the image appears much darker. I do not have proof colors turned on, so I am not simulating anything. If I move the image in Bridge from the Cintiq to my monitor, there is only a small change to the image, it appears a bit lighter. Since I use the monitor only for pallets, it is not calibrated. The Cintiq provides a very accurate display. I do all my retouching and previewing on the Cintiq and if I print, the print matches the Cintiq, both for color and density. I have PS CS5 and CS3 both loaded. Both programs are set to the same color settings, i.e. ProPhoto. If I open jpegs in CS3, I get a message that the profiles don't match the working space. If I choose to convert or if I use the sRGB profile, the images appear the same and they match the preview in ACR. If I open the PSD which has a Prophoto profile in CS3, it appears overly saturated and dark, just like in CC2015 and in CS5. I have 3 attachments, one showing the color settings in CC2015 and the other 2 showing the color settings in Bridge. Something that is new and may be the source of the problem is the synchronization of color settings. I am just lost here. Something is wrong but I don't know what it is. This is not a problem of long standing. This is a new computer, but same monitor and Cintiq.

tonyespofoito

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:23:09 pm »

I think I solved my problem. Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to respond.
Tony

Redcrown

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:18 am »

What was the solution?

tonyrom

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 03:46:18 pm »

Was it the background color affecting your perception of the colors?

tonyespofoito

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »

The problem turned out to be a short between my ears. Yes, I'm sorry to admit it, but it was a completely self-inflicted injury. This is a brand new machine, but much of the equipment, including the Wacom tablet and 5 drives, was migrated from my earlier machine. I thought I had been methodical and careful every step of the way but I messed up. I inadvertently assigned as the calibration profile  one which shipped with the tablet, instead of the one generated by the Eye1 software. I wish I knew what it was I was thinking at the time. My apologies to all who read this post and took the trouble to reply. I'm sorry for wasting your time. 

Doug Gray

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 12:29:31 pm »

As an aside that relates to the graphic processor issue, I've found significant errors in the display of deep shadows when soft proofing. It's particularly annoying because I use 10 bit/ch graphics mode which requires the graphics processor. When I have large areas of deep shadow, it's necessary to go to 8 bit mode to get a good soft proof. The loss of 10 bit smooth gradients is minor in comparison to the errors introduced in soft proofing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up