Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ring Them Bells  (Read 1188 times)

RMW

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1000
Ring Them Bells
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:50:38 pm »

Hello All.
Looking for a little feedback.
Wondering if anyone thinks there's an emotional impact with this foto. And if not, how could the foto be improved ?
I'm trying to present both a realistic and a visceral image of the slow sinking and death of a once great cypress swamp on the edge of Lake Maurepas. La.
Thank you all for looking.
Richard


richardwallerphotos.com
Logged

Tony Jay

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2965
Re: Ring Them Bells
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 08:19:08 pm »

Richard,

I like the image, however if you had not mentioned the context I would have had no clue that that is what you wanted the image to represent.
I am no expert in Cypress swamps (I come from another hemisphere) so that image does not necessarily, for me anyway, have the same implications that it might for you.

I would be very interested to know how many others "automatically" get the context that you wish the image to have.

I can identify with the struggle in trying to capture the essential characteristics of a nature scene that conveys, without further explanation, exactly the story and emotions that one wishes to encapsulate in that image. I fail much more frequently than I succeed.

So, I did like the image, but, for me, it utterly failed to communicate the explanation that you gave.

My $0.02

Tony Jay
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Ring Them Bells
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:39:18 pm »

Richard,

Not an expert by any means, but you asked for reactions.
I felt more of what you describe when i narrowed the field of view proportionally to start on the left with the first standing dead cypress next to the first live tree out to the trunk ring in the water.
The original shot feels to me to set the context, but like Tony Jay mentions, does not evoke any emotion other than the thought that this area looks like a good spot for setting out duck decoys in the fall.

Frank

Logged

Otto Phocus

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 655
Re: Ring Them Bells
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 06:08:52 am »

I found that my attention was drawn to the object in the left foreground.  Unfortunately, because it is in shadow, it is hard to identify and therefore frustrating.

I was confused by the title of this thread, Is there a symbolism about bells that eludes me?

Other than that, this is a pleasing composition.  I like the reflections in the water.  While I prefer lower key photographs, this looked a bit dark on my monitor. 
Logged
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

RMW

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1000
Re: Ring Them Bells
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:26:48 am »

Hello All,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question. I very much trust the feedback I get here on LuLa.

Tony Jay, I appreciate your candor. It is a very hard thing to accomplish. But Salcedo can do it so I'm going to keep trying. And maybe some viewers who are familiar with swamps will get it ?

Frank, tried your suggestion for cropping and it does strengthen the image. However, I keep seeing that one tall dead tree on the right side standing mournfully in solitude, denoting all the other trees that used to be around it. I guess its the photographers job (and dilemma) to decide what to keep?

Otto, that object in the lower left corner is a half submerged branch. It may be hard to see because it's dark and/or because it's a jpeg. The title refers to a bell, in a churchyard, tolling in memoriam. Maybe a bit obscure ?

Thank you all again.

Richard
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Ring Them Bells
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 11:39:25 am »

Keeping the "sentinel" stump....moved towards square format also emotes the feeling for me.
Logged

RMW

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1000
Re: Ring Them Bells
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 11:46:54 am »

Frank,
That's very interesting.
Will check it out more later today.
Thanks.
Richard
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up