Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio camera support for product shooting?  (Read 4947 times)

longpvo

Studio camera support for product shooting?
« on: October 15, 2016, 11:51:02 pm »

I've been looking to upgrade my tripod to a proper support in the studio, I've been having a Manfrotto 190XPRO4 which serves as a travel and regular tripod in the studio for now but it's lacking geared center column and its Q90 horizontal feature is limited. I do a lot of precise composition product photography (overhead top-down) and I have the following requirements:

- Geared center column with crank handle (center column extension preferably long, more room for finer vertical adjustment)
- Has or supports lateral arm (I prefer not to use a different lateral arm from different system/brand)
- Taller than 180cm/70"
- Considered feature, a mid level spreader for tripods

I'll be pairing the support with the Arca Swiss p0 Hybrid (I think this fine tuning is enough and the d4 is too much). I'm not looking to pay for a Gitzo Systematic plus its geared long center column and its lateral side arm (total roughly $1800). I did some research although I think I may have missed some lesser known brands.

Tripods:
Manfrotto 058B Triaut
+ 217cm tall
+ Quick release legs
+ Mid level spreader
+ Manfrotto 131D Lateral Side Arm
− 26cm center column
Manfrotto 028B Triman
+ 227cm tall
+ 48cm center column
+ Mid level spreader
+ Manfrotto 131D Lateral Side Arm
− Small tubes , 19, 20, 25 mm
Cullmann Titan 935G
+ Quick release legs
+ 44cm center column
+ Tilting column accessory, CONCEPT ONE OM510
− It's short, just shy of 162 cm

Sirui and Velbon alternatives are just short. Then there is Feisol which has no geared center columns. And these are more for portability, I'm not after portability, I'll have a different travel tripod.

I am very interested in Majestic tripods but I can't seem to find any further information or review on their 6500 & 7500 series. Seems to be discontinued on B&H, I wonder when these two were released.

Stands:
Studio Titan 01-360
Studio Titan 01-350
Stands come with logistic cumbersome, freight...

Ghibby

Re: Studio camera support for product shooting?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:03:34 am »

Have you considered a wooden tripod for studio use, better at vibration damping than cf or aluminium by a long way. Cheaper too. Look at berlebach tripods.

Ben

longpvo

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 05:40:06 am »

Have you considered a wooden tripod for studio use, better at vibration damping than cf or aluminium by a long way. Cheaper too. Look at berlebach tripods.

Ben
I did look at Berlebach, I'm not very fond of the Uni series leg clamps in operation to be honest. I'm really liking the Studio Titan stands, it's a great alternative to the Cambo. I believe Studio Titan line is discontinued but their actual manufacturer Kumkwang Precision Co. is still selling these from SouthKorea, it's a bit of a hassle with importing, still trying to get a hold of them.
01-350 is 1,100,000 won ~ 950$
01-360 is 700,000 won ~ 600$

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 09:37:18 am »

Ever considered a stand like a Foba or Cambo UST? These things are nowadays real cheap 2nd hand. I consider it one of the best investments I ever made. I use now a Cambo but want to get myself a Foba, these can be used more precise. These stands are a true joy in usage. Downside is, they are large and really heavy so you do need some space.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:52:51 am »

Ever considered a stand like a Foba or Cambo UST? ... I consider it one of the best investments I ever made.

+1

In the 1980s I used a Gitzo 1504 Tele Studex with geared column and crossarm for a couple years, but small moves of the camera were not easy. And when the tripod was extended to full height it was very cumbersome to adjust camera position.

I bought a Bogen super salon with 1-touch base movements and have zero regrets.

If you have the space, get a studio stand. You won't regret it.

Edit: This looks like a good deal.
~ CB

longpvo

Studio camera support for product shooting?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 12:01:38 pm »

Ever considered a stand like a Foba or Cambo UST? These things are nowadays real cheap 2nd hand. I consider it one of the best investments I ever made. I use now a Cambo but want to get myself a Foba, these can be used more precise. These stands are a true joy in usage. Downside is, they are large and really heavy so you do need some space.
I checked them out as well, their professional range is quite a hefty "investment", good thing is that they're modular.

The basic Cambo Mono is already ~1000$ and too add a caster base it's another ~500$ or so. I've got to add that caster is preferred for stands, I still need to move the stand around in the studio.

+1

In the 1980s I used a Gitzo 1504 Tele Studex with geared column and crossarm for a couple years, but small moves of the camera were not easy. And when the tripod was extended to full height it was very cumbersome to adjust camera position.

I bought a Bogen super salon with 1-touch base movements and have zero regrets.

If you have the space, get a studio stand. You won't regret it.

Edit: This looks like a good deal.
Thanks for the link, I have also found a local Manfrotto 058B for about $300 mint, tempting..

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 06:58:05 pm »

Getting a stand was a great benefit when I started doing more macro studio work.

The cost though looked horrendous, for what was at a time a bit of an experiment.
eBay was my friend - a few weeks of waiting and I'd a six foot+ column stand on castors with geared arm.  For just over £100.

Just be sure to take someone strong enough to give you a hand if you have to go and pick one up ;-)

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 07:30:13 pm »

You really should buy a used FOBA.
Regards,
Ben

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 03:46:35 am »

Nothing beats a studio stand. I like the Foba, but have used the lift master/? and the Arista
For short ceilings, take the counter weight out, take it to a shop for a clean cut, and shorten the cable, and you have a shorter stand. The hex shape cannot do this easily, so look for a round tube. And make sure it comes with a plate for setting crap on. You're gonna want a Frotto 3263 geared head with it.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 03:35:59 pm »

As mentioned , a temporary alternate would be a tripod like the SLIK "The Professional" with a multi head on top cross bar. This will offset your camera from the legs and also give you another head for using a laptop tray for tethered.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Bo_Dez

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 10:39:21 am »

I use the Cambo Studio stand and it's one of the best ever things I have bought. You really can't beat it. It's super simple, precise and quick to adjust and despite its size it's extremely agile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up