Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One: Customer needs feedback  (Read 8982 times)

JimDK

• Capture One - Made by Phase One
Capture One: Customer needs feedback
« on: October 06, 2016, 06:35:51 am »

Hey gang,

As part of our continued efforts to make Capture One the go to app for Professional Photographers, we are running a short Q+A survey to see how we are meeting your needs. Find the survey in the link below:

https://www.anpdm.com/survey-public/414558477041405F477940/4446594B71494B5E4071

By completing the survey, you will be automatically entered into a draw to win 1 of 3 Capture One Pro Licenses free of charge!
Software Product Manager - Phase One A/S

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One: Customer needs feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:01:00 am »

As part of our continued efforts to make Capture One the go to app for Professional Photographers, we are running a short Q+A survey to see how we are meeting your needs.

A company that listens to their (potential) customers is always a good thing.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

N80

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:09:57 am »

This 'culture' of being responsive to the customer is why I plunked down nearly $300 and dove into CO9 after being abandoned by Apple/Aperture and being unhappy with LR after a year of using it. When I find minor shortcomings in CO I feel confident that PO will resolve them.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:18:07 am »

This 'culture' of being responsive to the customer is why I plunked down nearly $300 and dove into CO9 after being abandoned by Apple/Aperture and being unhappy with LR after a year of using it. When I find minor shortcomings in CO I feel confident that PO will resolve them.

Yes, it looks like Phase One is trying. It used to be different, very hard to get a message across, but things have improved. Hope they keep it up.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 06:34:32 am »

I ran out of space in the "What can we do to improve Capture One" page.
Dog shouterer, professional pedant.

scyth

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:47:53 am »

I ran out of space in the "What can we do to improve Capture One" page.

share here then !

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »

Allow for a history of steps, as in LR,  that would be a nice feature for those that use a lot of the tool sets in C1, as undo is pretty much worthless, especially if you are going between more than one image.  C1 bounces back and forth and within a few steps, it's very confusing. 

I know that I am a voice in the wilderness on this, but it's just something I use a lot in LR and find it most helpful, and another reason I don't use ACR.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

N80

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:49:07 pm »

It isn't a feature I relied on in LR but man, when you need it it can really save a lot of frustration. Seems like it would be easy to implement but I don't know anything about such matters.
George

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 02:43:58 am »

share here then !

* First, workflow and speed of use. Lightroom still scores hugely over CO on this. Just thinking about how your customers use your product and how you can make the experience quicker and slicker would go a long way.

* A comprehensive  SDK. Opening up CO to plugins would bring fresh ideas into the platform and allow users to better tailor CO to their own needs. I've always been pleasantly surprised by what a good SDK can bring to the table.

* Adjustment Mask painting needs work. I badly miss the elliptical tool from Lightroom. A blur tool. Also, I recently put in a request for something to create sets of luminance masks for layered adjustments.

* Custom search presets can only be applied to collections or folders of images. It would be useful to have an option to make these global, have the filter remain in effect when collection selections are changed.

* Option in recipes to set keywords on exported images. So, for example, when I export a set of images for a client I can have the export recipe tag them as sent to client.

*Expand hotkey sets, make more features hotkeyed. In particular  I'd like to be able to assign hotkeys to keywords; hit the hotkey, keyword is assigned to all selected variants. This, combined with a smart folder, would  give you a more flexible equivalent to Lightroom's Quick and Target collection feature.

* Extend smart folder searches to include names of collections containing images.

*Annotations: for making notes on workflows, processing details, client notes, whatever. But importantly, annotations should be allowed on folders, collections, smart collections as well as images. this has been a big request amongst Lightroom users for a long time.

* I need to be able to see more clearly what keywords are on images. Currently I have to open up the keyword library to see what keywords I have on an image and the picture gets confused if I have several images selected. I'd like to see a icon on thumbs with a popup list of keywords.

JimDK

• Capture One - Made by Phase One
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:37:55 am »

We will extend the character limit for the feedback sections :P

Just take the survey again and it should reopen with your last answers (as long as its the same computer). You can then add to your hearts content.
Software Product Manager - Phase One A/S

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:38:14 am »

It's OK, I managed to condense it to fit. I'll add more if I think of it.

SDK, though. Big thing.

sankos

• Why matters
Improvements
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 06:12:03 am »

I'd like to see the following improvements in Capture One 10, so that I could consider upgrading from v. 8:

1. Deconvolution sharpening as an additional method to what already exists (I assume it's USM-based now?);
2. Output sharpening (esp. for downsized images), something like LR or RawTherapee have.
3. Local adjustments now don't allow me to input negative sharpening and noise reduction values (like you can in LR) -- good for when you want to set a global value, which can then be negated in just some places.
4. Keep improving auto-masking and healing.
5. Better support of smaller players like Pentax (Ricoh) -- more lens profiles and tethering.
6. (Better) support of Pixel-shift technology or X-trans, etc.

Rado

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 12:18:11 pm »

I've completed the survey even though I'm not a Professional Photographer.

It boggles my mind that your developers can get all that complex color/optics math right yet are unable to fix a simple UI bug which I keep reporting since august last year.

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 12:31:14 pm »

UI bugs aren't necessarily easy to track down or replicate. It may also be that your particular bug may not be high on the priority list.

N80

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 03:27:28 pm »

* First, workflow and speed of use. Lightroom still scores hugely over CO on this. Just thinking about how your customers use your product and how you can make the experience quicker and slicker would go a long way.

That's interesting to me as I had the very opposite experience and was one of the things that pushed me toward CO. Now, I'm not a pro, I don't catalog vast numbers of images and I don't batch anything. So, I'm curious as to what in CO slows you down? This is meant out of curiosity, not a challenge to your experience. I have found that customized tool tabs in CO sped me up and not having to wait for the "Develop" module to open in LR, as well as the lag switching from Grid to Develop also decreased my processing time, or at least the parts of it that I found frustrating.

George

myotis

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 05:16:47 pm »

That's interesting to me as I had the very opposite experience and was one of the things that pushed me toward CO. Now, I'm not a pro, I don't catalog vast numbers of images and I don't batch anything. So, I'm curious as to what in CO slows you down? This is meant out of curiosity, not a challenge to your experience. I have found that customized tool tabs in CO sped me up and not having to wait for the "Develop" module to open in LR, as well as the lag switching from Grid to Develop also decreased my processing time, or at least the parts of it that I found frustrating.

Just because I am disagreeing with you on the other thread, I thought I would jump in and agree with you here :-)

I too have found C1 quicker to use than LR and I have been using LR since version 1.  Having said that, it does seem that people who process things like Weddings seem to find LR faster (not all however, as I have also read blogs of wedding photographers who have changed to C1 and find it faster).

Like you, I find being able to customise the tool tabs and have tools repeated in different tabs dramatically speeds up working.

I also find that the "auto" setting in C1 is far more reliable than the auto settings in LR, which helps me get a "good enough" file that bit quicker.

Cheers,

Graham

N80

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 09:58:09 pm »

Just because I am disagreeing with you on the other thread, I thought I would jump in and agree with you here :-)

Oh, most of the time someone disagrees with me here, I'm wrong.  ;)

Like you, I find being able to customise the tool tabs and have tools repeated in different tabs dramatically speeds up working.

Yes. You can make a tool set for anything. I have one for B&W conversion with each step in my workflow in the order they normally get done. I love that.

My wish list for CO is fairly small and probably reflects my limited needs:

*I want an option to have the originals backed up within the CO Catalog backup, not just the database/modification data. Similar to the the Vault in Aperture.

*I would like to be able to change font sizes within the menus and toolbars. On a 27" 5k iMac at max res and normal viewing distance the text is tiny.

*I would like to see an actual tint scale under the tint slider in the White Balance menu. I do not naturally think of tint in terms of a number or a slider direction.

*Better vignette tool. It is really pretty bad as it exists now. Should be a priority for v10.

* I want to be able to delete an image file completely from anywhere that I am viewing an image. Currently you cannot do that from within a User Collection.

The last two are big for me.

But, my understanding is that v10 is in beta. So I'm guessing that anything we're requesting here is already in the works or will have to wait for v11.

Curious, how long are the version intervals typically for CO?
George

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 11:30:15 pm »

Hi,

A feature I would like to have is to display colours as Lab and not RGB. My understanding is that RGB values are not meaningful unless they are used in a well defined gamut, so they actually say very little about the colour. Lab coordinates are to my understanding unique and well defined.

Mostly helpful when using a ColorChecker for reference, as reference values are available in Lab.

Well possible the setting is available in Capture One already, it has many settings.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

myotis

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 01:23:11 am »

But, my understanding is that v10 is in beta. So I'm guessing that anything we're requesting here is already in the works or will have to wait for v11.

Curious, how long are the version intervals typically for CO?

Release info is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_One

I seem to remember that there were changes made from V8 or V9 to make interim point releases easier, so maybe we will have a longer wait between versions. Certainly we have seen new features at point releases, not just bug fixes and new camera support.

Cheers,

Graham

scyth

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 09:44:43 am »

A feature I would like to have is to display colours as Lab

just pay $$$$ = http://dtdch.com/capture-one-ch/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up