Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Request to Moderators for a Safe Space...  (Read 10391 times)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: A Request to Moderators for a Safe Space...
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 10:20:33 am »

Forget all this stuff, Portugal is in the Euro 2016 finals!
Congrats Paolo, enjoy it.
And the way they got there must be a record as well, not one game won at the end of 90 minutes, except the last one  :o
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 10:25:43 am »

Forget all this stuff, Portugal is in the Euro 2016 finals!

As a revenge, the EU commission (don't know which one, there are so many...) has decided to recommend to the Ecofin to apply sanctions against Portugal and Spain (first and last countries in the old PIGS acronym) for not complying to the 3% deficit target. Portugal's deficit in 2015 was 3.2%, for 2016 it is too early to tell. I am all in favour of obeying the rules, but I find it a tad funny that so much effort is placed in this item, you know, with Brexit and all... the cynic in my may start wondering that Portugal would economically benefit from a terrorist attack, as an excuse not to comply with signed treaties...

I think France has also fallen way from the "ideal" level, has it not?

I now know what the cynic in you is thinking, but the one in me is thinking this: the Deutsche Mark was a terribly attractive currency to have...

Those urging us to fly from the Eiffel Tower, armed with but cardboard wings, were happy to say that our exports (from the UK) would be cheaper. Considering the only export these people actually ever had to offer was themselves at holiday time, the maths defeats me. They will find it far more expensive now for the fish 'n' chips and English beer that they used to enjoy. That the raw materials imported to make the few things we still export will now cost more, also defeats that pìpedream.

I dredge the remaining sands of my optimism and hope that, as the UK is in no hurry to Go50, it will let the bad news build up until a good enough case is clear, even to the most challenged, that government really has to take its responsibilities seriously and act as it is meant to do - on our behalf - using its wider knowledge of what's really going on between countries, as reason to have the exit option thrown out of Parliament and put to sleep for the next hundred years. Surely, no government an opposition can claim to be working for the country's best interest if it does less?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 10:25:49 am »

.... Portugal is in the Euro 2016 finals ...for not complying to the 3% deficit target...

And to think it only took 0.2 % to reach the finals! Cheap, eh?  ;)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 11:43:47 am »

Congrats Paolo, enjoy it.
And the way they got there must be a record as well, not one game won at the end of 90 minutes, except the last one  :o

We are adopting the German efficiency:) Or else, we first put the other team asleep, and then strike:)

Honestly, in the past we lost 3 semi finals already, always playing high quality football. This time, we are just playing it to win.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 11:46:12 am »

I think France has also fallen way from the "ideal" level, has it not?

Rob

It will be the first time since the Lisbon treaty in 2008 that "punishment" will be served for not keeping the deficit under 3%. since then, even Germany (and France) have had deficits above that. I am not saying it is not fair, I just hope that from now on every country at fault will pay also.

As for fish and chips, I am planning to visit the UK next year, the pound will be cheap?

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 11:47:38 am »

And to think it only took 0.2 % to reach the finals! Cheap, eh?  ;)

Mr. Platini is in dire straits recently, but still I hope Germany wins today, as the cogs must be in motion already if France reaches the final...

Peter McLennan

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 11:53:06 am »

This is a somewhat bemusing thread: why would anyone care which camera another person uses?

But Rob, weren't you extolling the aesthetic, even fondlable, nature of your film cameras of yore?  You obviously DO care.

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »

It will be the first time since the Lisbon treaty in 2008 that "punishment" will be served for not keeping the deficit under 3%. since then, even Germany (and France) have had deficits above that. I am not saying it is not fair, I just hope that from now on every country at fault will pay also.

As for fish and chips, I am planning to visit the UK next year, the pound will be cheap?

That will depend on whether they - the British politicos - end up knowing better than giving themselves the Go50 coup de grâce.

If they do do it, don't expect to find the chips cheaper - Mallorca exports lots of potatoes, and also buys seed potatoes from Scotland in return. You can see the peeling away of the north making more sense (of sorts) every day. Prawns are exported from Scotland to the Med in huge numbers... what will happen to those markets, I wonder?

(Buy hey, depending where you buy your pounds, you're likely to get screwed anyway. That's why I run credit cards in both countries: if I were to rely on either a Sterling one or a Euro one only, I'd get screwed on exchange rates and currency transaction fees at some time in either jurisdiction.)

For sure, gin will cost more. Almost happy I can't touch it anymore. No - I lie - I bitterly regret it! Never liked beer, but loved the gin and tonics. One particularly happy memory of my wife has us in a hotel near the Dordogne, both sitting nursing new glasses of the stuff, when this elderly gent walked past our little table and said, in terribly good English: "ah, G&T, how civilized!" Must have had a helluva good nose, though, that guy!

Rob

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 10:30:03 pm »

Safe area!?! Et tu, Слободан? I thought you were a true and fearless Serb to the core. You've been in the U.S. too long and need to regain your fortitude with a visit back to Belgrade, my friend!  ;)
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 02:05:41 am »

As a revenge, the EU commission (don't know which one, there are so many...) has decided to recommend to the Ecofin to apply sanctions against Portugal and Spain (first and last countries in the old PIGS acronym) for not complying to the 3% deficit target. Portugal's deficit in 2015 was 3.2%, for 2016 it is too early to tell. I am all in favour of obeying the rules, but I find it a tad funny that so much effort is placed in this item, you know, with Brexit and all... the cynic in my may start wondering that Portugal would economically benefit from a terrorist attack, as an excuse not to comply with signed treaties...

The cynic in me thinks it is rather convenient that they talk about sanctions to Spain after the Spanish elections two weeks ago... Now that they make sure they have a government that always agrees with Merkel and whatever the EC says, they are talking about sanctions and recommending cuts to the public sector and pensions... Not before the elections, just in case people will vote to other parties...

http://dgpfotografia.com

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 03:51:23 am »

The cynic in me thinks it is rather convenient that they talk about sanctions to Spain after the Spanish elections two weeks ago... Now that they make sure they have a government that always agrees with Merkel and whatever the EC says, they are talking about sanctions and recommending cuts to the public sector and pensions... Not before the elections, just in case people will vote to other parties...

Well, it seems today that it was another case of "much ado about noting". The EU will approve sanctions, but the actual punishment/fines will be nill... go figure. In the meantime, Deutsche Bank has failed the stress tests in the US. Diversions, diversions...

But should we go back to the topic subject?

P.S. As I was afraid and suspected, Germany was sent off against France thanks the a very dubious penalty. It was very funny to see that the ref from the match was from Italy, who were eliminated by Germany in the previous round:) Mr. Platini still pulls the strings backstage. Now, I have no doubts that history will repeat itself, and Portugal will play France going uphill...

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 04:10:33 am »

But should we go back to the topic subject?

Yes please, apologies, my political feelings got in the middle... I much prefer a discussion about photography, even if it is an endless battle about which camera manufacturer is the best in the world...

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 04:44:09 am »

But Rob, weren't you extolling the aesthetic, even fondlable, nature of your film cameras of yore?  You obviously DO care.

Why ever not?  I care about the ones that I use, not what anyone else choses to use! Where the supposed conflict? It's what I said.

Rob

Theodoros

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 07:37:18 am »

.....a very dubious penalty.

Nothing dubious about it... Schweinsteiger punched the ball on purpose for a Evra not to take the header... Kudos to the Ref for seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkd0ev8g74

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:44:27 am by Theodoros »

BJL

A Request to Moderators for a Safe Space... to argue about football
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:00 am »

Nothing dubious about it... Schweinsteiger punched the ball on purpose for a Evra not to take the header... Kudos to the Ref for seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkd0ev8g74
From another angle it seems that the ball went from French head to German arm, which cannot be seen from the angle in that video. But neither view is definitive, so it is hard to say.  Anyway, it does not really matter: the score was 2-0, not 1-0, and the other goal was undisputed (and become possible due to a total stuff-up by a German defender.)  And I say this as someone who was backing Germany.

Theodoros

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2016, 07:11:26 pm »

Congrats to Portugal for winning the title! ...I'm particularly happy for Fernando Santos! ...I bet Paulo is celebrating with the crowd in the streets right now! 

dwswager

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:33 pm »

Not if you're shooting sports/wildlife at the end of long, prime lenses with optimal FPS/AF performance there isn't.

While I am a long time Nikon shooter and it baffles me, the vast majority of professional sports photographers that I see at venues shoot Canon.   

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 01:26:01 pm »

While I am a long time Nikon shooter and it baffles me, the vast majority of professional sports photographers that I see at venues shoot Canon.
There goes our "safe space"  :'(
pieter, aka pegelli

NancyP

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 07:55:35 pm »

Forget the "safe space". For every 250 words of praise for a piece of equipment, there should be one well-chosen photograph made with that piece of equipment. You like Canon, Nikon, Pentax large (645s) or small (K1 or the APS-C cameras), Sony, Sigma Foveon, Fuji, Your Favorite Film Camera, etc - show us the reason why! I will make an exception for backpacks etc - our collective backs and shoulders may not be hugely photogenic.... ::) :(

dwswager

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 10:40:21 am »

There goes our "safe space"  :'(

It is a sad world when statement of simple facts are taken as "non-safe", especially when the fact contradicts the offering individual's own preference!  I prefer to be open minded to minimize my own ignorance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up