Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: For the DXO aficionados..The 1DX MKII scored 88  (Read 17366 times)

dwswager

Re: For the DXO aficionados..The 1DX MKII scored 88
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2016, 09:23:36 pm »

I don't believe this is true. It also depends on how much you want to raise the shadows so they appear as the eye saw them.

From my own tests conducted a few years ago, I got the impression if one compares two cameras, one with 14 EV of DR and the other with 11 EV of DR, you should find that the camera with 14 EV of DR will have cleaner and more detailed shadows at least up to the 8th stop of DR. At the 11th stop, the 14EV camera will produce very significantly cleaner shadows. At the 10th stop, certainly significantly cleaner shadows. At the 9th stop and even 8th stop, still noticeably cleaner shadows, but the difference will be less. There's a sliding scale. Perhaps at the 6th stop one would notice no difference at all.

Just so I don't get a hurt feelings report filed on me or violate the "safe discussion zone", I will preface this with:

1. No camera can capture the DR of every situation found in the world.
2. Every camera can capture the DR of the vast majority of situations found in the world.

DR Matters.  True story.  I'm on my way home from dinner and decide to shoot a night image of a really intricate 6 light street lamp in Spain.  Rather than using my normal procedure, I try to speed things up by using Aperture Priority and just shooting a 5 shot sequence of the scene at 2 stop intervals.  Both ends had about 2/3 stop clipping.  And what I wanted to place at middle tone was way more underexposed. Still, I was able to salvage a reasonable image.  A camera with 2 stops less DR at that ISO would have been a washout.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2016, 12:38:29 am »

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii

In short, Dpreview sees the 1DxII as an amazing allrounder (good DR at lower ISOs, AF,...), second best for low light action photography (AF and high ISO image quality).

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:38:29 am by BernardLanguillier »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2016, 06:50:55 am »

A camera with 2 stops less DR at that ISO would have been a washout.

Maybe, maybe not. At base ISO at night (and for HDRI) you'd need a tripod to avoid camera shake, and at elevated ISOs the DR  differences are smaller anyway (due to lack of photons). And then post-processing kicks in, and over-brightening the shadows, while cool to do, is not always the best creative option (remember that our eyes can see some 9 stops without accommodation, so tonemapping will be unavoidable anyway). Also, high quality noise reduction can do a great job of mitigating noise if that is distracting/visible in uniform areas. So, it depends on the particular scene, shooting conditions, and processing choices.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 01:11:33 am »

https://m.dpreview.com/news/3640026683/flagships-compared-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-versus-nikon-d5

Pretty much the same conclusions. A bit clearer about the AF gap with the wording "left in the dust" that Dpreview doesn't use lightly. It may be a bit overdone, but anyone having shot action with the D5 in the real world will confirm that it is pure magic.

The reactions are pretty hilarious, talk about denial. The days of blind brand love are far from being over.;) Interestingly, nobody is disputing the superior low ISO image quality of the 1DxII, or its superior video performance but guys seem to have a real hard time imagining that the AF of the camera may not be best in class. Their loss.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:22:32 am by BernardLanguillier »

Manoli

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 03:12:08 am »

Pretty much the same conclusions. A bit clearer about the AF gap with the wording "left in the dust" that Dpreview doesn't use lightly ... The reactions are pretty hilarious, talk about denial. The days of blind brand love are far from being over...

Obviously not! You must have missed the next page, ya know the one that says :

" In addition, the EOS-1D X Mark II’s Dual Pixel AF system works brilliantly well in video mode, both in terms of speed and accuracy of AF acquisition, and also tracking. The combination of DPAF and touch-to-focus makes for a very refined shooting experience, and even swift and accurate AF for static subjects in stills. The D5’s contrast-detection AF system in live view and video is primitive by comparison. "

Really, Bernard, you need to lose that Nikon bandana ...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 03:16:57 am »

No issue whatsoever to admit that Dpreview reports about the clear superiority of the 1DxII in all things video, including AF. How could I disagree with their findings?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my comments were focused on still shooting which is what I use these cameras for.

Do we agree now?

I did buy the D5 for its AF performance shooting stills. I would probably have bought the 1Dx II had it been superior. I won't go in details here, but that would been very manageable considering my overall intent camera wise.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:32:04 am by BernardLanguillier »

bcooter

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 03:49:43 pm »

Canon doesn't get much love in these parts, but I've used them for so long, owning every 1ds, series, all but one 1d series that to me they are just intuitive and stable.

That's about 14 cameras and only have had three issues ever, which is pretty good considering.

In regards to the 1dxII, it's my next purchase after I rent and test, mostly due to the video functions and the high bit rate for video, 500mps at 30 fps and 800 at 60 fps. (I think).

Since we shoot a lot of projects with a motion component and have multiple professional 4k cameras, this may sound strange but until two weeks ago I had never turned on the video of my 1dx's.

I just used them for stills and moved to another camera for motion.

On our last project just to see and because I was in the exact spot where I wanted the motion from, I did shoot about 25 clips of motion, not expecting much because of the line skipping and since it was 1080 rather than uhd or 4k.

I was very surprised in the result and how well the footage looked in grading.  They are not really a motion picture look like my REDs or an Arri, not video looking like a lot of dedicated 4k cameras, but just have the Canon look which is very pleasing out of camera.

I tried to rent a 1dxII for this project but they weren't available though I look forward to testing the 1dxII then probably purchasing.

IMO

BC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up