Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: UK Referendum camera - advice required  (Read 7262 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
UK Referendum camera - advice required
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:56:50 am »

No doubt you have all been following to a greater or lesser degree the tumultuous (or pathetic depending on your perspective) events in the UK.

In order to get into the spirit of this sharp move backwards I would like some advice regarding my photography.  I currently use a digital Hasselblad semi-professionally and I am thinking of regressing to a 1930's film camera ideally with an obsolete format.  Perhaps something that could be admired by other photographers as a principled stand against the pervasive globalisation of the digital culture.  Once I have, on your advice, chosen the camera I will then take photographs and print them before hopefully selling them at inflated prices using a currency that no-one else uses.

I am calling this new approach to photography "entering the negative entropy zone".  I am planning to write several books on the exposure techniques required using early Saxon English in order to be faithful to the period.

Advice on the choice of camera, film material, print size and marketing channels would all be appreciated.

As a by-product this advice may well be useful in a metaphorical sense to our new government when we get one.

David Watson ARPS

dwswager

Re: UK Referendum camera - advice required
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:19:51 am »

No doubt you have all been following to a greater or lesser degree the tumultuous (or pathetic depending on your perspective) events in the UK.

In order to get into the spirit of this sharp move backwards I would like some advice regarding my photography.  I currently use a digital Hasselblad semi-professionally and I am thinking of regressing to a 1930's film camera ideally with an obsolete format.  Perhaps something that could be admired by other photographers as a principled stand against the pervasive globalisation of the digital culture.  Once I have, on your advice, chosen the camera I will then take photographs and print them before hopefully selling them at inflated prices using a currency that no-one else uses.

I am calling this new approach to photography "entering the negative entropy zone".  I am planning to write several books on the exposure techniques required using early Saxon English in order to be faithful to the period.

Advice on the choice of camera, film material, print size and marketing channels would all be appreciated.

As a by-product this advice may well be useful in a metaphorical sense to our new government when we get one.

On the photography end, I go with Polaroid!

As to BREXIT, the fundamental problem with the whole EU experiment is that it should have been an exercise if expanding liberty (free exchange of goods, services and travel) and instead became an exercise in repression (unelected bureaucrats in Brussels determining the minimum size peach that can be sold at market).

Simple solution is 2 levels of membership:

1. Basic plan where goods, services and people can move freely through the zone.
2. One world government plan where you cede all authority to the unelected bureaucrats.

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:03 am »

Certainly you should first consider formats and films which are not available anymore, or can not be processed. KodaChrome and Polaroid are the prime candidates. This would make a firm statement about there being no possibility to turn back time.

In the past there were wars at regular intervals, then between the hostilities people would work hard to get ahead and prosper. Now there has been peace in Europe (most of it) for so long, that people get bored with their relative wealth and want to make problems for themselves, like exiting the EU or joining ISIS.

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:18 am »

Isn't there a sub-forum for this?  Please move this to Coffee Corner.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:32 am »

...people get bored with their relative wealth and want to make problems for themselves, like exiting the EU or joining ISIS.

Grouping love and rape aren't we?  Quite vulgar comparing voluntarily leaving a government association and joining a terrorist group. 

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:08:33 am »

126 film cartridge, a box and a pin to put a hole in the box...

Petrus

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 11:07:05 am »

Grouping love and rape aren't we?  Quite vulgar comparing voluntarily leaving a government association and joining a terrorist group.

Getting worse off, both.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 12:55:41 pm »

Isn't there a sub-forum for this?  Please move this to Coffee Corner.

Can't be done: that's reserved for generally non-photographic topics.

Such an important innovation as obsolete format photography is too momentous - as in of the moment, perhaps, or even perhaps not - to confuse with idle chatter on silly events like ruining economies.

I think this is an amazing idea, and one with a great future. I actually do have a freezer with lots of Kodachrome still in it. As frozen as a bald polar bear, I might add. Always knew I had a firm grip on the crown jewels - only hadn't realised I'd need gloves to cash in on the blessing. Perhaps there's a way to rewire a scanner to process it? No, the Kodachrome, not the glove.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 12:59:13 pm »

What has government to do with rape? I thought farmers planted that, specially for landscape photographers. I don't think of farmers as terrorists, but then I'm not a rambler.

Rob

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 01:00:23 pm »

In the spirit of the debate we heard over the EU referendum, I'd like to give you a balanced argument; lies, hyperbole, polemic and misinformation on both sides.

So, I'd suggest a Great British marvel, a J Lancaster & Son 'Instantograph' Field Camera. Surely far superior to any of this foreign rubbish the youngsters of today are using. Those fifty-somethings just don't appreciate good British craftsmanship. On the other hand, you may want to go for some great German engineering and the Leica S. Of course, if you buy the Leica, you're a traitorous commie pinko liberal, who hates Britain and is happy to see us swamped by hordes of Islamic cameras from Turkey, and Polish cameras taking the photographic job opportunities away from fine English yeomen-cameras. But if you go with the 'Instantograph', the sky will fall on your head, and the pound in your pocket won't be enough to buy a single photographic plate. It's your decision, but whichever one you choose, it's the wrong choice, you idiot/racist/traitor/xenophobe (delete according to preference).

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »

I would recommend a true british camera:  Ross & Co, London, with 24 x 18 cm plates. It was the camera of the great mountain photographer Vittorio Sella.
http://arttattler.com/archivesella.html
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:41:11 pm by muntanela »

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 02:59:06 pm »

Pinhole camera, home-made, with Ilford positive paper.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »

Pinhole camera, home-made, with Ilford positive paper.

I knew it couldn't last: here we go - racism! What's wrong with goode olde Kodak negatives?

Rob  C

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 05:04:40 pm »

I should see if I can get ahold of my late uncle's Reid. I forget the exact model but it's basically a Leica III copy. He used it mainly with a Zeiss 50mm he "procured" at the end of WWII, though I think he had a British 50mm as well (Taylor Hobson?). My dad used it some and thought very highly of it. Since Ilford is still around the film & developer choices are no-brainers (sorry, Rob).

-Dave-

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 04:33:21 am »

I suggest a Canon DSLR, everybody says they are behind the competition for several generations:)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:24 am »

Any camera would do, provided it gets proper firmware:

1. In aperture priority mode, whatever the scene in front of camera, it should record an image of happy ponies eating butterflies pooing with rainbows.

2. In shutter priority modes, it should record an image of crying children in shabby clothes, with a masked maniac in the background holding something shiny in his hand (it is very important he's a blurred a bit -- everyone should see it's a maniac, but what exactly it is, or what he/she is holding should not be easily discerned; it should just be clear it's something DANGEROUS!)

I bet both parties will be happy with such a camera (provided only them can use it, i guess...)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 08:08:25 am »

Any camera would do, provided it gets proper firmware:

1. In aperture priority mode, whatever the scene in front of camera, it should record an image of happy ponies eating butterflies pooing with rainbows.

Truly the end of the world as we knew it to be...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 09:57:47 am »

http://www.corfield.org/camera/page3.htm

Almost there, but forgot a major aspect of the periscope principle: it requires a submarine be attached. Other than that, a close runner for the Nikonos Cup of the Year.

Rob C

dwswager

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 02:43:52 pm »

What has government to do with rape? I thought farmers planted that, specially for landscape photographers. I don't think of farmers as terrorists, but then I'm not a rambler.

Rob

LOL  You would think nothing, but unfortunately a considerable amount of legislation is aimed at raping somebody or another!

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 06:43:00 am »

Ya. A bit like saying the EU Laws are to do with the sizing of fruit. Of course they had nothing to do with improving civil liberties, pay conditions and a whole plethora of other laws that have improved the lives of EU citizens.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up