Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some reflections on the Hasselblad X1D  (Read 43134 times)

Rob C

Thank you Rob.   Yes we are in Dallas this week and were 4 to 5 blocks away from the scene.   I know a lot of the police officers and don't know exactly who was slain as they have not released all the names but knew some of the police that responded.

It's a very sad day for all people for so many reasons.

We're shooting on Monday and we called all the crew and agents and asked them if they wanted to continue and they responded yes, they won't let this stop their lives, though it is very strange right now.

Once again thanks.

James

I'm so damned sorry, James - I think you and your crew are doing the right thing. Good luck to you all.

Rob

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

Thank you Rob.   Yes we are in Dallas this week and were 4 to 5 blocks away from the scene.   I know a lot of the police officers and don't know exactly who was slain as they have not released all the names but knew some of the police that responded.

It's a very sad day for all people for so many reasons.

We're shooting on Monday and we called all the crew and agents and asked them if they wanted to continue and they responded yes, they won't let this stop their lives, though it is very strange right now.

Once again thanks.

James

You certainly have great courage and resilience.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jng

Re: Some reflections on the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2016, 05:53:29 pm »

James,

Your words give comfort and hope in a world that has seemingly gone completely off the rails. Stay safe and stay strong, and keep doing what you are great at. Looking forward, as always, to seeing more of your work.

John

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2016, 12:36:57 pm »

My two penneth for what it's worth, I have never shot the current range of Phase, Pentax, Hassy in real anger, but what I really didn't like about any of them was the balance, especially with a longish lens. On a tripod no problem, but in the hand I found them hard on the wrist as all the weight is canter levered to one side. This new Hassy looks much more comfortable to use.
If I could be bothered donating more money to the upgrade roundabout I would give it a look.
Kevin.

eronald

J,

RED is not overpriced. agreed.
 Sony Pro is not overpriced. agreed.

Sony low-end/entry level documentary eg. FS5 is now at $5K and no one can talk about overpriced at $5K.
 Sony FS7 is selling well.

The Sony A series are not making low-end users happy, because as you state the codecs and above all reliability aren't there and ergonomics are a nightmare. Of course, those who already own an Odyssey or Shogun or Pix bypass the internal codecs and an use the recorder as a viewfinder. I think every serious crew shooter now owns one of these.

Canon are a different story. I believe -probably wrongly- that until full dual-pixel AF and 4K  is enabled on Canon's low-end the bleeding to Sony of single-shooters will continue - these are core features now.

Let me be blunter: I expect the C300II price to fall in due course to $5.5K +Canon 30% premium, because it is in effect a direct competitor to the Sony FS5. This is a price war, and Sony has set not only the price but the features point with 4K, built-in automatic gradual filter, and raw output to the Odyssey which can also do ProRes. The C100 pricing has become a joke, it is the C300 which has the features which the market now expects.

As regards your accessory VF - obviously it's a neat idea. I'm surprised some sort of EVF accessory is not already on Canon's product list.

Edmund

I don't think your correct on this, in fact I think your not really understanding the change in the market over the last few years.

I don't think that RED or Arri and the high end Sony F65/F55 try to overprice their cameras for status.  They are in the serious movie making business where glitches just can not happen without horrible consequences.

In fact RED brought the price of serious cameras into the everyman range and rocked the industry, when you look back at the cost of 35mm film cameras and moved sony's high end eng cameras down to competitive pricing and changed their format and pricing strategy, especially the F55 which is under $30,000 (body only).

Without RED Sony would probably be selling the F55 for twice the price.

Now Canon seems to be caught out a little.   Their cameras produce beautiful color, heck my 1dx in HD shoots really pleasing, easy to grade color, but since Canon just dropped the price of the 4k C300 II by $4,000 obviously Sony has moved the market price down for cameras in these lower specs and feature motion cameras.

Whether you shoot a Sony A7sII or an Arri motion work is much different than stills in the fact that two bad seconds in the middle of a take can't be cut out.   In fact I think Sony really needs to up their A mount game as the lenses are tremendous and for our work the A7sII is just not robust enough in codec, bit rate that holds up in grading.   

Sony needs a Canon 1dxII competitor and the new Canon will probably be the next camera I purchase.  From all reports even at 8 bits it's high bit rate and the ability to quickly go from stills to motion makes it a very verseatile camera, especially for fast lifestyle imagery and motion autofocus for lifestyle is an amazing addition when working quickly.

What Canon should have offered is a clip on evf to the 1dxII, kind of like the small olympus cameras that you can add a higher def evf on the hotshoe and shoot low like a waist level finder or straight on.

But I don't think any of us know what the profit ratio is on a camera (except the makers). 

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:54:43 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Ken R

I don't think your correct on this, in fact I think your not really understanding the change in the market over the last few years.

I don't think that RED or Arri and the high end Sony F65/F55 try to overprice their cameras for status.  They are in the serious movie making business where glitches just can not happen without horrible consequences.

In fact RED brought the price of serious cameras into the everyman range and rocked the industry, when you look back at the cost of 35mm film cameras and moved sony's high end eng cameras down to competitive pricing and changed their format and pricing strategy, especially the F55 which is under $30,000 (body only).

Without RED Sony would probably be selling the F55 for twice the price.

Now Canon seems to be caught out a little.   Their cameras produce beautiful color, heck my 1dx in HD shoots really pleasing, easy to grade color, but since Canon just dropped the price of the 4k C300 II by $4,000 obviously Sony has moved the market price down for cameras in these lower specs and feature motion cameras.

Whether you shoot a Sony A7sII or an Arri motion work is much different than stills in the fact that two bad seconds in the middle of a take can't be cut out.   In fact I think Sony really needs to up their A mount game as the lenses are tremendous and for our work the A7sII is just not robust enough in codec, bit rate that holds up in grading.   

Sony needs a Canon 1dxII competitor and the new Canon will probably be the next camera I purchase.  From all reports even at 8 bits it's high bit rate and the ability to quickly go from stills to motion makes it a very verseatile camera, especially for fast lifestyle imagery and motion autofocus for lifestyle is an amazing addition when working quickly.

What Canon should have offered is a clip on evf to the 1dxII, kind of like the small olympus cameras that you can add a higher def evf on the hotshoe and shoot low like a waist level finder or straight on.

But I don't think any of us know what the profit ratio is on a camera (except the makers). 

IMO

BC

Spot on BC.

In the last few years I have had clients request video along with the stills and I just have my producer hire the camera crew so I can focus on directing the shoot and on the stills. The particular choice of camera is not that big a deal most times but I do prefer the look of the Alexa although sometimes its nice to have the resolution of the RED. Recently did a job with the C100 in the studio and liked it, served its purpose. Generally I consult with the DP and/or camera operator on each job for camera choice since each person prefers working with certain cameras. Most times camera crews like to avoid working with DSLRs (or MILC's) because they are more awkward to rig (even with a cage) and work with. I did work on a job with the A7S and it was ok (used leica glass). One of my best friends owns a post house and he has on hell of a colorist (works on a filmlight baselight) so he can work his magic on almost any footage.

I started working in the Advertising industry back when film was used (with Arri 3's, 435's, 535's and the 16mm SR models) and the costs were quite high. Video cameras mostly had 2/3" sensors and people tried to mimic the look of a larger format with cumbersome adapters like p+s technique  Mini35. RED basically singlehandedly killed film in most marlets since it accelerated the development and adoption of the 35mm digital cinema camera.

Going back to your post I am very interested on the 1DxII for its video capabilities (even though I will use it mostly for stills) and would love to see more reviews on it.

The X1D is cool product although I would prefer a larger EVF for my work. But the Hassy and its new lenses are basically perfect as a travel camera for landscapes.

Regarding Edmund, trolls will be trolls and troll away forever, its what they do.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi BC,

Please don't leave. Your postings are always interesting and tell us about a world many of us don't know or even are not aware of.

Just to say, why would you remove your postings? Don't you feel that those were good posting? For sure, it happens that we post something that was not really so great.

So, I hope you change your mind...

Best regards
Erik

When I have time, which is limited I try to remove my posts from long ago so I'll be empty when I leave.   I loved sharing but have a dislike for the pundints that can only write but not do.

I'm sorry to go, but dislike very much the talkers, none doers.

I can't wait until I clear my last post.   This one may be it.

IMO

BC

PS
To Chris and the moderators if you can clear my posts and proprietary data off this site easily please do, then I will close my account.  Thank You.  James
Erik Kaffehr

vjbelle

To Chris and the moderators if you can clear my posts and proprietary data off this site easily please do, then I will close my account.  Thank You.  James

What a shame...... your contributions have been really appreciated.

Victor

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Hi BC,

Please don't leave. Your postings are always interesting and tell us about a world many of us don't know or even are not aware of.

+10

Besides, why go because of ths thead, Edmund wasn't even being argumentative for once, ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Sean H

I strongly agree with Erik. You, BC, bring a perspective of the working pro and you tell us the complexity involved in your work and how much effort is required to get such magnificent shots. Also your description of what happened in Dallas and its aftermath was moving. We appreciate your posts as you teach and help us learn. And sometimes your posts have humour as well.

Hi BC,

Just to say, why would you remove your postings? Don't you feel that those were good posting? For sure, it happens that we post something that was not really so great.

Best regards
Erik

Bart_van_der_Wolf

When I have time, which is limited I try to remove my posts from long ago so I'll be empty when I leave.   I loved sharing but have a dislike for the pundints that can only write but not do.

Sorry James,

As much as I appreciate your opinion/perspective on things () even if I might not fully agree with everything, I don't see why one would like to remove one's contributions, unless one has come to significantly different insights about their relevance  (but nut even then ..., just say so).

I'm sorry to go, but dislike very much the talkers, none doers.

I can't wait until I clear my last post.   This one may be it.

I hope you are not suicidal or something like that, but I'd say, don't.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2016, 10:10:22 pm »

There are a couple of members tht are much much worse and definetely rude as rotten and should be banned once in a while until they learn to be a little nicer to fellows here. Edmund probably just have too much time free, in my opinion he's just demoniacally occurrent.
James gone will be a real lost though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:14:43 pm by uaiomex »

eronald

+10

Besides, why go because of ths thead, Edmund wasn't even being argumentative for once, ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, I like your sense of humor ;)

Edmund

eronald

J,

I repeat, I am sorry that you feel this way, no offense was intended.
 I can see that you are sensitive to criticism and will refrain in the future.
 Bernard's comment is quite perceptive :)
 Handshake?

Edmund.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up