In my experience the "Pro" level (that is 3800 and higher) Epson printers do a fine job using Epson's "ABW" (Advanced Black and White), which is part of the driver that comes with the printer.
My first digital printer was an Epson 2200, and I eventually gave in and purchased Imageprint because I was never able to get decent prints otherwise.
When my 2200 died, I upgraded to a 3800, which is still going strong (although showing occasional signs of something like Arthritis blended with Altzheimers).
Using ABW I get prints consistently better and more neutral than I eve r got with Imageprint on the 2200, so I have never bothered to upgrade IP.
ABW does allow a good bit of flexibility in adjusting print color (warmer or cooler, etc.) if you ever want that. I prefer straight neutral.
That isn't only about drivers, it's also about inks, paper and profiles, all of which have come a very long way. The best way of answering this question to your own satisfaction is to make some prints using the Epson driver, which is free, and see whether or not they satisfy you under different lighting conditions. But also keep in mind that the colour temperature of the light affects what the print looks like, and could vary from one light source to another, because the profiles that contribute to determining the ink mix in making those prints assume a particular illuminant - usually D50.
All that Mark says is very true and relevant, too.