Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax K1 Full frame 36mp $1799  (Read 10007 times)

Ranger Rick

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:06:37 pm by Ranger Rick »

RobertJ

Re: Pentax K1 Full frame 36mp $1799
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:45:44 pm »

It looks great, I just don't know what lenses I would use.  No Milvus, no Otus, no Sigma Art, no Canon 35mm 1.4L II... Call me picky.

capital

• Website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:10:59 am »

Per the Imaging Resource article  the pixel shift tech in this new Pentax is using some intelligent blending to correct subject movement artifacts. I recall the K3 II took about 1.3 seconds to capture all 4 frames, I wonder if they have worked on shortening this interval further. Will be interesting to see how the full color 36 MP captures compare to other cameras out there.

The oddity with the "swivel" screen is a bit puzzling, as it won't allow the full range of motion of a true tilt-swivel.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 06:53:40 am »

no Sigma Art,

I believe at least some of the Sigma Art lenses are in the Pentax K mount.  The 35mm is one of them.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:53:34 am »

Plus:

Lots of great new features, from more than likely the same chip that is in the D810 Nikon. 
Just a few the both Canon and Nikon should consider:

On board sensor stabilization,
Multishot capability
Moveable LCD screen
Full weatherproofness
Impress Video performance
LED lighting for the main controls for night work
Time-lapse feature to allow you to shoot star scenes and use the multishot to account for star motion
No AA filter, but some form of device to emulate it when needed

Negative:

No way to mount Canon or Nikon Glass on the body, due to opening size and flange distance to sensor.  So it has to stand by itself unlike the Sony A7rII that can act like a chameleon, using all different type of lenses.  I am sure the loyal Pentax owners will flock to this body.  Great price point and a ton of great new features from the Sony sensor.  But locked out from most users to the lens mount issues.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:16:03 pm »

Actually I can only find  one Sigma Art full frame is offered currently the 35mm 1.4mm.  Hopefully Sigma will offer more in the future or offer mount swaps for those interested.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 01:56:21 pm »

Hi,

It seems it is a great camera at a great price – for Pentax aficionados. Hopefully, there are a lot of Pentax system owner who finally have a great full frame DSLR option.

On the other hand, competing for new users will be hard. Canon and Nikon have a commanding lead. In a sense the Pentax K1 reminds me of the Sony Alpha 900. A Big Ugly Fat Fellow, with great capabilities arriving to late.

I am in transition to From Sony Alpha to Sony A7rII, right now. The Sony Alpha 900 is the one I will keep. Not because it is the greatest, but I want to keep one of the old guards, and the Sony Alpha 900 will not bring in more than say 300$.

Best regards
Erik

Plus:

Lots of great new features, from more than likely the same chip that is in the D810 Nikon. 
Just a few the both Canon and Nikon should consider:

On board sensor stabilization,
Multishot capability
Moveable LCD screen
Full weatherproofness
Impress Video performance
LED lighting for the main controls for night work
Time-lapse feature to allow you to shoot star scenes and use the multishot to account for star motion
No AA filter, but some form of device to emulate it when needed

Negative:

No way to mount Canon or Nikon Glass on the body, due to opening size and flange distance to sensor.  So it has to stand by itself unlike the Sony A7rII that can act like a chameleon, using all different type of lenses.  I am sure the loyal Pentax owners will flock to this body.  Great price point and a ton of great new features from the Sony sensor.  But locked out from most users to the lens mount issues.

Paul C
Erik Kaffehr

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:00:34 pm »

Looks interesting, and well-priced. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1223123-REG/pentax_k_1_dslr_camera_body.html

http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/pentax-k-1-hands-on-review?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Pentax-K1-hands-on-review

I shot Pentax 6x7 briefly back when, but doubt I would ever own a Pentax digital.  However, I hope it does well enough to survive.  Obviously, Canon and Nikon and Sony benefit from some competitive pressure as well as inovative ideas. 

stever

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:43:20 pm »

even though Pentax made some relatively good (and nicely compact lenses) in the bad old days of film, my change back then from Pentax to Canon was largely made on the basis of limited selection of Pentax lenses vs Canon.  Unless the 3rd parties step up with Pentax mounts I don't see much future here.

RobertJ

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 02:06:29 am »

If Pentax releases several more full-frame DSLRs, I think Zeiss and Sigma should start releasing K mount lenses.  The sample RAW files from DPreview show that the sensor is in the same league (probably identical? or maybe it's the A7R sensor) as the D810, but the lenses are obviously limited.  Lots of CA, fringing, etc.

There were Zeiss ZK lenses, but I've lately only seen them on ebay...?

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 12:00:47 pm »

For those that don't need specialty lenses like tilt-shift, supertelephotos, f/1.2 , greater than life size macro, etc, Pentax full frame might be a real option.

stever

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 12:21:23 pm »

when I bought my first Pentax in the 80's I didn't think I had need of tele, long macro, etc. - over time that changed

AlterEgo

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 12:38:46 pm »

For those that don't need specialty lenses like ... f/1.2 ...  Pentax full frame might be a real option.

I wonder what was my Pentax SMC-A 50/1.2 then ? not FF K-mount ?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:42:45 pm by AlterEgo »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 01:42:25 pm »

Hi,

I have also been shooting Pentax 67.

The issue with Pentax is essentially, to little to late. I would bought the 645D if it was released two years earlier, but when it finally arrived I was looking for other alternatives.

I would say that Pentax should have announced a road map for the K1 18 months ago and marketing full frame capable lenses.

No doubt, they will sell a lot of cameras to existing Pentax owners, and I have little doubt it is an excellent camera. It is just that Pentax is waiting for a train that has passed long ago.

Best regards
Erik

I shot Pentax 6x7 briefly back when, but doubt I would ever own a Pentax digital.  However, I hope it does well enough to survive.  Obviously, Canon and Nikon and Sony benefit from some competitive pressure as well as inovative ideas.
Erik Kaffehr

AlterEgo

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:30 pm »

It is just that Pentax is waiting for a train that has passed long ago.
nope, it is just you imagining what Ricoh wants or thinks - and someone might just as well imagine Ricoh simply after making extra sales to still existing die hards, that's it... w/o any waiting for any kind of train - so do not imagine any grandiose plans on Ricoh's behalf.

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 02:42:41 pm »

Pentax's 50/1.2 (A series) is my favorite of the high-speed lenses I own or have owned. I don't often use it wide open—IMO ~f/1.7 is its fast sweet spot—but attached is one such pic, via Sony A7r2, from last autumn.

My reaction to the K1 is the same as with other recent nice SLRs: if I'd not abandoned the mirror I'd likely give it a tryout.

-Dave-

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 02:54:23 pm »

Pentax's 50/1.2 (A series) is my favorite of the high-speed lenses I own or have owned. I don't often use it wide open—IMO ~f/1.7 is its fast sweet spot—but attached is one such pic, via Sony A7r2, from last autumn.

My reaction to the K1 is the same as with other recent nice SLRs: if I'd not abandoned the mirror I'd likely give it a tryout.

-Dave-

Dave

I really like that shot.  The way the shallow DoF allows such great flow.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 06:15:07 pm »

My real question is how does the dynamic range compare with the d810?  Is it the same?
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

mbaginy

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 02:53:33 pm »

I'd like to see Pentax succeed with this K-1 body.  My first SLR was a Spotmatic F, then I picked up an ME, and MX and a 6x7.  At some time, I made a switch to Canon - first FD-mount, then EOS and I stayed.  Recently I've picked up some Fujifilm cameras which I greatly enjoy.

Reading about the K-1 brought back memories.  I'd love to see a Pentax full frame body as simple as the former K1000, with similar dials as the Fujifilm X-T1.  And it would be nice if it could have a sensor giving decent IQ with manual Pentax K-mount lenses.  And had a proper focus screen for manual focusing.  It'll never happen, I know.

I'm a bit surprised that the new K-1 body will cost considerably more in Germany than in the US!  Current price is 1,990 Euros.  Or is the US price without sales tax which will boost the price to over $2,200 or so?

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 10:56:25 am »

GO PENTAX...  :D

High end full frame at an affordable price...

I expect we will see more third party support from the growing third party lens makers and it seems Pentax have more full frame lenses in their road map

http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/02/25/2016-pentax-k-mount-lens-roadmap/

http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/02/26/pentax-k-1-at-the-cp-show/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up