Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixed Lens Compact Camera for Landscape Photography  (Read 16652 times)

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
Fixed Lens Compact Camera for Landscape Photography
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:49:36 am »

Hi,
many years ago, I used to take a 37mm equiv. compact camera (my only camera at that time) to my landscape explorations with me.
Now I'm using zoom lenses (24 - 120mm is my favourite range that suits me for most situations) for about 10 years.
My objects of interests are trees, plants, lakes, lakes with swans, old bridges, rails, little castle ruins, sunsets... taken mostly for joy.

I'm thinking of getting a fixed lens compact camera (28mm or 35mm ?) because of its size and weight and the great image quality at the same time. Something like Fujifilm X70 might be a choice for me.
But... is there a way back after so many years with zoom lenses? Does anybody have a similar experience with such a camera or using only one prime lens with a DSLR for landscape photography? Thanks.
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Fixed Lens Compact Camera for Landscape Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:51:53 am »

It's all a matter of approach and mindset. Yes, quitting your zoom lens "cold turkey" in favour of a fixed lens will cause you some "missed-shot" anxiety in the beginning. However, if you are a thinking photographer (as opposed to one who just reacts), you will quickly become more keenly aware of how best to approach a scene given the constraints of a fixed lens. You begin to see the world as your lens sees it and compositions become more natural.

There is something about imposed constraints that brings out the best in us. You should have a read of A Lesser Photographer by CJ Chilvers. Parts of it are quite good (other parts are pithy aphorisms with a sprinkling of what sounds like disgruntled wanna-be talk, although he doesn't seem to be a wanna-be).

As he points out through a quote of Orson Welles, "The enemy of art is absence of limitations."

The book is available through craftandvision.com or you can read Chilvers blog at alesserphotographer.com. And, no, I do not get kick backs from this.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 08:56:31 am »

You might want to consider a micro 4/3 body with a prime lens.  Something like an Olympus EPL7 and a 17 mm lens would cost only little bit more than what you are looking at at.

Ranger Rick

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:32:26 am »

You might take a look at the Panasonic LX100, which I find an excellent tool for such work.  It has a zoom (24-75-ish IIRC), m43 sensor, very compact.

biker

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 10:48:12 am »

@luxborealis: I like your tips, thanks! I think the Orson Welles quotation hits the nail on the head.
I might try to "lock" my zoom lens with a duct tape first to find out if I manage or not. And whether 28mm or 35mm.

@HSakols: Thanks but I'm afraid there is no value added in doing so. There are fixed lens compact cameras with an APS-C sensor (or even full-frame ones such as Sony RX1/R/II or Leicas but these are too expensive for me). That mirrorless would be a choice if I wanted to change lenses. Otherwise, it's just an annoyance with dust on the sensor.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 10:58:45 am »

You should look at the canon G1x II. it has an ASP sensor and I believe a 24-105 lens. I have the first version, G1X, and Love it for landscape. Hand held I have gotten wonderful results down to 1/5 second. Very compact and portability never a issue...

Peter

biker

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:35:12 am »

You should look at the canon G1x II. it has an ASP sensor and I believe a 24-105 lens. I have the first version, G1X, and Love it for landscape. Hand held I have gotten wonderful results down to 1/5 second. Very compact and portability never a issue...

Peter
Yeah, I was considering this one for some time. It's 1.9x crop factor (so almost APS-C) and it's pretty soft on low apertures. At f=8 it's acceptably sharp. It lacks a viewfinder but you can optionally buy external one (not very cheap IIRC).

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 12:21:12 pm »

Does anybody have a similar experience with such a camera or using only one prime lens with a DSLR for landscape photography? Thanks.

In the 70s and 80s I shot entirely at 50 mm because that was all I could afford. I don't think it hurt my photography too much. The X70 looks good, and you can always stitch if you need wider.

Isaac

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 12:57:06 pm »

I'm thinking of getting a fixed lens compact camera (28mm or 35mm ?)

Maybe look back at your favourite photos from the last year or two, and count them into focal-length buckets: say <50mm, 50<85mm, >85mm. Then check if there's been a focal length you've used much more than the others.

biker

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 04:35:13 pm »

In the 70s and 80s I shot entirely at 50 mm because that was all I could afford. I don't think it hurt my photography too much. The X70 looks good, and you can always stitch if you need wider.
Thanks for encouraging! Yeah, I've looked at sample shots and was quite impressed. I'd almost be satisfied with a 1:1 crop displayed at an 100dpi screen, so here goes the "zoom". :) But I'm not decided yet. As for stitching - yes, I've stitched literally hundreds of panoramas in Hugin (a few in MS Composite Editor or another software) but I often run into problem with choosing the proper projection. The "Equirectangular" one isn't the right choice for all cases.

Maybe look back at your favourite photos from the last year or two, and count them into focal-length buckets: say <50mm, 50<85mm, >85mm. Then check if there's been a focal length you've used much more than the others.
Is there a software to help me with that task? Might not be big such a problem to write one as .NET/WPF has got API for reading EXIF info.

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 05:54:00 pm »

Is there a software to help me with that task?

That is an interesting question.

My suggestion would be ExifTool and I just stumbled over a helpful blog post.

biker