Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printed Portfolio for Ad Firm's: Landscape or Portrait  (Read 2363 times)

JoeKitchen

Printed Portfolio for Ad Firm's: Landscape or Portrait
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:47:05 am »

So recently I have been going after more ad work and developing a beverage and still life portfolio.  I will probably create a printed book just for that market, but I can not decide if I should go with a portrait or landscape formatted book. 

With my architectural work, almost all of my images are horizontal, so landscape is the obvious choose.  However, with ad work I am not really sure which would relate better. 

Anybody have any suggestions? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
Re: Printed Portfolio for Ad Firm's: Landscape or Portrait
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:53:10 am »

I believe that vertical images should be presented in single pages and horizontal in double pages or scaled down to fit a single page.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:18:17 pm »

So recently I have been going after more ad work and developing a beverage and still life portfolio.  I will probably create a printed book just for that market, but I can not decide if I should go with a portrait or landscape formatted book. 

With my architectural work, almost all of my images are horizontal, so landscape is the obvious choose.  However, with ad work I am not really sure which would relate better. 

Anybody have any suggestions?

Have you considered a square book Joe?
Craig Lamson Photo

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »

My last book was 11x17 landscape. Images could be full bleed horizontal, or 2-page panos, or printed with borders of various sizes. For vertical images I could have two per page if I wanted. This was several years ago, now I think I would have the book printed as one of those lay-flat books, which in my mind looks better if you do layouts of multiple photos.

Square portfolios also look good, though of course every photo will have a large border (unless you shoot a lot of square images).
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:35:16 pm »

Thanks all.  I think I am going to go with a vertical portfolio! 

Most print advertising is vertical, the internet with Mobile and tablets is heading that way too.  Not to mention, printing full spreads works better in a portrait book, which relates well to advertising too. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: [1]   Go Up