Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: changing systems... again?  (Read 7866 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
changing systems... again?
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:41:11 pm »

I was a perfectly happy Nikon person since the 60's, and ended with a D800E, which I still have, my "last camera" :). Then, in the rush to small and light, I purchased an Olympus OMD, and was happy until I realized I didn't like the noise at base ISO. I then switched to Fuji, began with an X E-1, and now have the X T-1. Over time I have managed to amass eight lenses for the Fuji system and genuinely like it. The images are clean, crisp and realistically fulfill my needs as an aging mostly tripod based landscape photographer. Then... I rented a Sony A7RII, to get it out of my system I said. Big mistake. That camera and 50mm f/1.8 are back at Lens Rentals but I cannot get it out of my head, the Zeiss glass, IBIS, 42MP, and on and on. The financial hit from yet another switch is not trivial, but I could rationalize it. I'm sure others have faced the same dilemma and resolved it. What is an admitted gear freak to do?

Sean H

Re: changing systems... again?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:12:51 pm »

The pain you describe is awful Eric. I feel for you.  I am very grateful that medium format equipment is relatively heavy (and expensive) by comparison or else I would be hauling such a kit around the world. Myself, I am trying group therapy; so far it seems to help, though last week someone 'fell off the wagon' and ordered the new camera you describe. He is now dead to us. The remaining photographers in the group are nervous and dreading the release of new tech in 2016 (see Edmund's predictions here (he mentions both MFD and 35 mm) here: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=106733.0 ).

Sean
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:42:14 pm by Sean H »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:46:41 pm »

As a huge Fuji Fan also, I would sure hold on to see what Fuji does with the X-Pro2 @ 24MP.  One thing I have realized, the need for larger MP's in my business has fallen off, way off.   I also love all the facets of the Fuji System you already mentioned, and have only wished for just a bit more resolution.  Hopefully Fuji can pull this off in 2016, with first the X-Pro2 and then a new X-T2 or whatever. 

I agree IBIS is great and Fuji has not shown any interest in this, still using OIS on their lenses.  But Fuji has really shown that they seem interested in the future of the X-Trans product. They have given the users several major Firmware updates, rich in feature enhancements, that are not common with Sony, Canon or Nikon. 

To me, the Sony is a great camera, and I love the files.  I also rented one and worked with it with my Nikon glass until the Metabones adapter I was using jammed on a lens (another story).  I missed the ability to have AF, and the ability to see the aperture information in m files.  I also did not want to go out and invest in a large number of A mount Sony lenses or E mount, so for now I have stayed with Nikon and Fuji.  However there is something about the Fuji files, that I love and will continue to invest in their products. 

For me the Fuji camera and lens line up is excellent and all of their XF glass is top end. 

Paul 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 01:49:13 pm »

What is an admitted gear freak to do?

Hmmmm.... what the rest of us do?  Take a deep breath.  Make photos and don't buy more gear until our current gear's limitations keep us from creating the photos we want to. 

Also keep in mind the A7RIII will likely be here in 15 months with new & improved everything.   Oh, and quite likely between now and the A7RIII Fuji will come out with the X-T2.

Keep clickin'  :D ;D
Regards,
Ron

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:13:52 pm »

My personal therapy is based on
- the past realization that switching to something else typically creates a larger number of issues than the problems on which it improves
- multiplying systems means that you typically end up knowing them less well, which means that you won't quite use them as optimally as they could be,
- the overall time loss has an opportunity cost that often translates in less images being captured.

It doesn't always work though... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

MarkL

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 01:44:19 pm »

Also keep in mind the A7RIII will likely be here in 15 months with new & improved everything.   Oh, and quite likely between now and the A7RIII Fuji will come out with the X-T2.

This is the main thing keeping me from making the jump, depreciation is bad enough of dslrs but the immaturity of mirrorless means the prices of these tank after a new flavour of the month hits the market. How to invest lens-wise is also far from clear on the sony side.

Fortunately as a D800E owner, the files out of the latest and greatest are not significantly improved from what I have so I am less bothered by upgrade-itis. As soon as a piece of gear gives demonstrably better files then I start to twitch.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:03:24 pm »

Hi,

The A7xx can be used with adapters. I don't feel that the original lens line is very strong. There is an adapter for Nikon AF in the pipeline.

A large sensor will always have an advantage in cleaner signals (higher SNR) but it may not work out that way. You may need to stop down for more DoF.

A well designed small sensor system is a pretty good idea. It needs to be well designed, though.

Best regards
Erik

I was a perfectly happy Nikon person since the 60's, and ended with a D800E, which I still have, my "last camera" :). Then, in the rush to small and light, I purchased an Olympus OMD, and was happy until I realized I didn't like the noise at base ISO. I then switched to Fuji, began with an X E-1, and now have the X T-1. Over time I have managed to amass eight lenses for the Fuji system and genuinely like it. The images are clean, crisp and realistically fulfill my needs as an aging mostly tripod based landscape photographer. Then... I rented a Sony A7RII, to get it out of my system I said. Big mistake. That camera and 50mm f/1.8 are back at Lens Rentals but I cannot get it out of my head, the Zeiss glass, IBIS, 42MP, and on and on. The financial hit from yet another switch is not trivial, but I could rationalize it. I'm sure others have faced the same dilemma and resolved it. What is an admitted gear freak to do?
Erik Kaffehr

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 02:12:51 pm »

My therapy consists of realizing that my gear is far more competent than I "need" (being an amateur), and that my artistic skills need work. And I have the cheapo and low-dynamic-range Canon 6D. I don't think that buying a Sony A7RII and adapter is going to make my output magically better - upgrade the brain first.  :D  For me, that also means learning better post-processing technique.

Admittedly, I would like to try a nice sharp copy of a tilt-shift lens in the 24-35mm range, which for me means the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II may be my next gear wish. No photographer can avoid having at least a touch of G.A.S.  ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 02:26:43 pm »

I bought a HUGE $100 box of color pencils and spend half an hour every evening doing freehand drawings.

This occupational therapy seems to keep GAS in check. I did buy some more yellow-red pencil shades though.

Edmund

My therapy consists of realizing that my gear is far more competent than I "need" (being an amateur), and that my artistic skills need work. And I have the cheapo and low-dynamic-range Canon 6D. I don't think that buying a Sony A7RII and adapter is going to make my output magically better - upgrade the brain first.  :D  For me, that also means learning better post-processing technique.

Admittedly, I would like to try a nice sharp copy of a tilt-shift lens in the 24-35mm range, which for me means the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II may be my next gear wish. No photographer can avoid having at least a touch of G.A.S.  ;)
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 02:39:58 pm »

Find a new girlfriend.

You could all make it a New Year resolution, have lots more fun and probably not spend a lot more than you already do on bits of tin, plastic and glass.

You'd also sleep better.

Nancy: I'm surprised at you! You know such honesty re. ability is dangerous here! You don't want folks getting all introspective, do you?

Best wishes for 2016 and onwards!

Rob C

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »

How can you pass up the nano acuity of the 50mm f/1.8 and lack of synchronous spherical aberration?
Or the absolute resolution delivered by Sony's asymmetrical matrix A-D converter coupled to an operative (tm) differential back positioned CMOS sensor using post anonamalyst optimisation?

I thought it was about Fuji's glass but you have all convinced me it's time to stop going out and having fun with gear that works. It's sure to get my photography to the next level. Does anyone offer a workshop on gear fondling? I can pay by credit card.
David

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 05:56:41 pm »

I have seen a (better phrased than this) statement to the effect that a technically perfect (sharp, dynamic range, what-have-you) photo of a boring composition or visual concept is useless. Well, maybe not entirely useless if you are testing a legacy lens for sharpness or a modern lens for decentering issues - the proverbial brick wall image serves a purpose.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 11:28:59 pm »

Find a new girlfriend.

Best wishes for 2016 and onwards!

Rob C

The Wife acceptance factor for a new girlfriend can be lower than for a new camera, even in France.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 12:10:39 am »

I have seen a (better phrased than this) statement to the effect that a technically perfect (sharp, dynamic range, what-have-you) photo of a boring composition or visual concept is useless.

That must have been "There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" by Ansel Adams...

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 12:23:57 am »

Well, read this and try even harder to be rid of GAS.

I currently have an a7R2 and 4 great Zeiss lenses.  I'm happy that my kit is lighter than it's ever been, and I've been shooting--and enjoying--it more too.  But in the last several years, I've gone thru a Canon 5DS (highest quality images I've ever made!), a 5D3, a Samsung NX1, an Oly 'ME-5 MkII (WAY too small and clunky), a Sony a99, a Sony a7R (again, WAY too small and clunky), a Canon 6D, and probably more I've forgotten.  I'm happy with the a7R2 with the Zeisses, so maybe I'm finished spending big money changing systems--I would certainly like to be.  We'll see.

Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:56:24 pm by jeffreybehr »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 09:46:08 am »

Hmmmm.... what the rest of us do?  Take a deep breath.  Make photos and don't buy more gear until our current gear's limitations keep us from creating the photos we want to. 

I confess the new Sony and lenses have my credit card finger twitching, but a good antidote I find is to go back and review my 5 star photos and look at the cameras I used - none over 24mp and some in the 10-12mp range. Other than being able to make larger prints, would any of these really have been better with more MP? I don't think so.

Herbc

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 11:23:15 am »

Being one of the WORST GAS practicioners, I can say: faced with such decisions, what is the cost of doing nothing?
Secondly, how may serious photos do I take?  Personally, my A7II is plenty of camera, several of my last gallery entries were accepted in national juried competition, prints were printed on 17x22 paper, very good detail.
Still doesn't cure the itch for the newest best, etc. 8)

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 02:32:52 pm »

I confess the new Sony and lenses have my credit card finger twitching, but a good antidote I find is to go back and review my 5 star photos and look at the cameras I used - none over 24mp and some in the 10-12mp range. Other than being able to make larger prints, would any of these really have been better with more MP? I don't think so.

I have made a similar observation. The only cameras that trigger GAS in me these days are vintage film cameras.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 03:41:57 pm »

Telecaster

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 04:09:10 pm »

I bought into the Sony A7x system mainly so I could experience what overkill felt like.  ;)  IMO even the r2 body has a rough around the edges vibe to it…as I've said before the system is still a work in progress. I mainly process the RAWs to half-res TIFs or (on my iPad) JPEGs as anything larger rarely serves any practical purpose. Though it is nice to have the extra pixels on tap when some extra effective reach is needed. Using my favorite film era 35mm-format lenses on a modern body is fun too.

When it comes to doing photography I'm far more inclined to carry my Panasonic GX8 with its lovely 12–35 & 35–100/2.8 zooms, or a Leica M8.2 with one or two "primes," than the Sony. Which I guess equates to rather poor value for money (well, my money anyway) in the Sony's case.

-Dave-
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up