Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to the print  (Read 13459 times)

tsjanik

Back to the print
« on: December 22, 2015, 09:39:43 pm »

Wonderful idea and topic Kevin.  I look forward to all your (that's plural) observations.

Tom

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: Back to the print
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:53:50 am »

Hi Kevin or Chris
This is a little off-topic....could you please let me know the print-hanging system seen in the background?
Not so much the part on the wall and the cables, but rather the parts attached to the print itself.

Many thanks
William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 01:59:45 am »

This is a little off-topic....could you please let me know the print-hanging system seen in the background?
Not so much the part on the wall and the cables, but rather the parts attached to the print itself.

I'm neither Kev or Chris (but I'm still up). The hanging system is something Kev designed. The holders are wood with magnets inset into the wood to clamp the print. Not sure about the track hanging system...I think he bought it on line. It's somewhat a standard system...as he mentioned in the video, he's going to be offering the system for sale on LuLa sometime next year.

Also, LuLa will be offering a variety of products–some specially built for LuLa as well as LuLa swag (tee shirts, caps, mugs etc.). Stay tuned...gonna be fun as the Energizer Bunny (Kevin–that's what I call him because he purely wears me out) starts tweaking the LuLa web site!

ysengrain

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:39:36 am »

The most iportant point in this topic is: This time, what shirt will Jeff choose ?

Anything else ?

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:52:53 am »

I'm neither Kev or Chris (but I'm still up). The hanging system is something Kev designed. The holders are wood with magnets inset into the wood to clamp the print. Not sure about the track hanging system...I think he bought it on line. It's somewhat a standard system...as he mentioned in the video, he's going to be offering the system for sale on LuLa sometime next year.

Also, LuLa will be offering a variety of products–some specially built for LuLa as well as LuLa swag (tee shirts, caps, mugs etc.). Stay tuned...gonna be fun as the Energizer Bunny (Kevin–that's what I call him because he purely wears me out) starts tweaking the LuLa web site!

Thanks Jeff - I already have a similar track hanging system - it was the "magnets-in-the-wood" that I was interested in. Many thanks!

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 06:00:05 am »

"Back to the print" should certainly involve some discussion of storing and displaying. A quick hanging system is certainly a great idea, but at even 1 print/week, it's not going to be enough. I've just bought an A3+ (that's 13x19 for the 'muricans :-) ) album, and it's a joy to be able to leaf through 20 prints so much more easily than pulling them out of a box. The maker claims I can fit a total of 30 sleeves, 60 photos... with 10 in so far, I reckon 15 will be the max. Oh well.

I don't think anything other than hanging is viable for A2 however...

Looking forward to the pro1000 review, although it looks like Canon have stuck with their page-length restriction. It seems idiotic to me, maybe if they were trying to send business towards the IPF series, but they aren't upgrading the IPF5100 either. Please apply pressure to their marketing people.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 10:27:20 am »

I look forward to the finished video(s).  I'm enjoying my P800 and the results I'm getting but was a little chagrined by the release of the Canon Pro1000 as it looks quite good on paper.  I look forward to the comparisons.

Count me as someone also interested in Kevin's print hanging system.

Like Graham I also hope for discussion on storing and displaying prints.

Thanks and keep up the great work!!!

Regards,
Ron

iCanvas

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 03:05:48 pm »

Could you do a comparison with canvas on both printers. Mostly concerned with detail in the shadows on canvas, as well as overall punch and vibrancy of the colors. Thanks,

Gar

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 03:40:46 pm »

I'm not sure canvas can be run through the Canon printer.  Most canvas I have ever used is on a roll.  I have Epson Canvas plus a roll feeder so we will report on Canvas on the P800.  As far as the Canon goes, we'll have to investigate.  As far as most types of printing goes the prints look good from both printers.  You'd  be pressed to tell a difference.  Mark Segal will be doing some deep readings and measurements and we'll see what his results are. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:50:25 pm by Kevin Raber »
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

cbutler

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 05:12:42 pm »

I'm looking forward to your re-emphasis of the print.  Please don't ignore options on how to mount a print for display or sale.

Cheers,

Chris Butler

amolitor

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 05:20:41 pm »

Does anyone else see an irony in making a video about going back to the print?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 10:13:55 pm »

I don't think anything other than hanging is viable for A2 however...

I'm waiting impatiently for a 30x30x1.5-inch 220ppi wide gamut display that I can hang on a wall.  Affordable, of course.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:31:58 pm »

Chris, funny you say that.  I was shown some displays like what you mention.  However the word affordable was not in the spec sheet.  When we are free from embargo which isn't until next year we will say something about them for those that may have a desire.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 08:12:05 am »

I was shown some displays like what you mention.  However the word affordable was not in the spec sheet.  When we are free from embargo which isn't until next year we will say something about them for those that may have a desire.

I'm looking forward to your report.  While they may be very expensive at first, over time I would expect these to follow a price trajectory similar to other flat-panel monitors.

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 01:21:13 pm »

The hanging system is something Kev designed. The holders are wood with magnets inset into the wood to clamp the print.

I too am interested in the hanging system.  Wondering is there is a layer of glass or some other barrier in front of the print.  In the photo there seems to be a bit of glare, but that could be the print surface.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 01:27:14 pm »

There is no glass, just the print.  Email me with a request include size and quantity.  As I mentioned in the video we will have the available on the Luminous-Landscape site next year when the e-commerce section is complete.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 03:06:16 pm »

Hi Kevin or Chris

Many thanks
William

For some time now I've been looking for ways to display prints without glass. I understand the importance of glass for print longevity and frames for durability, but I always find glass to be a barrier to the real "print experience". I specifically choose Moab Entrada Rag Natural for its gorgeous feel and look and hate to see it "hidden" behind glass.

So, seeing the print hanging system in the "Indy Office" was very helpful. I know LuLa will be carrying this system in the coming months, but FYI you can order similar systems here:
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 04:08:17 pm »

@Terry, thanks for those links to hanging solutions.  Both are pretty affordable when you consider how much it would cost to mat and frame a print.  This is a nice home solution since one can always reprint images as needed and there would less concern about surface damage here.

Alan

amolitor

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 04:52:10 pm »

You needn't got nuts spending money. If you're not going to use glass, you can just use spray mount to nail the print down on some foam core. Then trim the foam core to provide a suitable "mat".

What I do then is glue two small pieces of scrap wood of equal thickness on the back. The upper one is simply rested on a nail driven into the wall. By placing the upper wood scrap quite horizontally and centered, you can slide the print back and forth a little until it hangs straight. The lower wood scrap becomes a standoff, so the whole thing stands out from the wall by whatever thickness the wood scraps are.

For a different look, I first glue down decorative paper strips with torn edges, on the "mat" area and then glue the print down over that. This creates a pleasingly "rough" look to that faux mat.

Total cost for these systems is low single digits, and they're quite easy to build. Much easier than cutting mats.

Of course they're not designed for decades of use, but in this age of digital I figure I can just dash off a new print any time I like, so, whatever. If you're not using glass, I think you're already on that page?

Edit: you can also cut the foam core slightly smaller than the print, to float the  bare print off the wall.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:03:57 pm by amolitor »

amolitor

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »

Some pictures for clarification:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up