Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need clarifications on Color Management in C1Pro  (Read 8837 times)

AlterEgo

Re: Need clarifications on Color Management in C1Pro
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 01:33:24 pm »

In NX2, I used Prophoto RGB 2.2 as my working space and converted to tiff aRGB for print output or to tiff Prophoto RGB 16bits to fine art labs that supported it.
in C1 you create 2 recipes = one with output to AdobeRGB and one with output to ProphotoRGB and use them as needed... proof profile set to what is the current/selected recipe or specifically to either of them... that shall do it, no ?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 02:00:23 pm »

in C1 you create 2 recipes = one with output to AdobeRGB and one with output to ProphotoRGB and use them as needed... proof profile set to what is the current/selected recipe or specifically to either of them... that shall do it, no ?

Indeed, that's how it's done in C1. Quite simple actually.
And by selecting both recipes at the same time, two outputs are created 'simultaneously'.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

tho_mas

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 06:28:25 pm »

In what circumstances would you recommend to choose View -> Proof Profile -> No Profile?
under NO circumstances! I would strongly recommend to get used to a slightly different workflow. The proof settings only affect what you are seeing on screen ... but are not necessarily related to what your are outputting from C1.
There's an easier - and above all much more safe - way to control what you are aiming at in C1:.
Leave "Proof" to "selected recipe" all the time!! (!)
But store different process recipes. Simply click on the process recipe in question to get a "preview" of the selected color space.
Attached my set of process recipes... "camera 16bit" refers to "embed camera profile". The rest of the recipes are self-explaining.
Instead of changing the "proof" settings (which should be set to "selected recipe" all the time) simply click on the process recipe you want to preview.
This way you can be always sure that the correct/corresponding process recipe is selected when processing.
Selecting "embed camera profile" in the process recipe in conjunction with "proof->selected recipe" is the very same as "Proof->no profile" ... but it's much safer ...

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:31:53 pm by tho_mas »

tho_mas

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 06:49:12 pm »

camera profile can be with whatever you make it to be... for example you can have C1's own transfer function in TRCs as a table  - hence not gamma... or 3D lut (beloved A2B0) and no TRCs at all
true. But all the input profiles provided by Phase One are Gamma 1.8 (reproduce Gamma 1.8 respectively) ... this is why I was talking about Gamma 1.8. But of course you are right... you can create/import imput profiles with a grey axis of your choice...

ppmax2

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 07:20:51 pm »

under NO circumstances! I would strongly recommend to get used to a slightly different workflow. The proof settings only affect what you are seeing on screen ... but are not necessarily related to what your are outputting from C1.
There's an easier - and above all much more safe - way to control what you are aiming at in C1:.
But store different process recipes. Simply click on the process recipe in question to get a "preview" of the selected color space.
Attached my set of process recipes... "camera 16bit" refers to "embed camera profile". The rest of the recipes are self-explaining.
Instead of changing the "proof" settings (which should be set to "selected recipe" all the time) simply click on the process recipe you want to preview.
This way you can be always sure that the correct/corresponding process recipe is selected when processing.
Selecting "embed camera profile" in the process recipe in conjunction with "proof->selected recipe" is the very same as "Proof->no profile" ... but it's much safer ...

Thank you for this suggestion. I am relatively new to C1 and am interested in optimizing my workflow.

Would you create a process recipe for printed output to soft proof? I don't see a way to create a process recipe without designating an output file...?

Thanks much--
PP

tho_mas

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 07:44:41 pm »

Would you create a process recipe for printed output to soft proof? I don't see a way to create a process recipe without designating an output file...?
you can set every suitable profile installed on your system as output profile and therefore can "edit in" respectively "preview" the profile in question.
You just have to be aware that C1 does not provide the full set of softproofing features Photoshop provides - there are no "reverse" settings how to display the "softproof" on your monitor (Photoshop's "black ink" and "paper white" previewing options...). Therefore, when you select a printer profile as "process recipe" (or in the "proof profile") you will see greyish blacks ... and overall a less contrasty image since papers do not reach such a high contrast as monitors. In a way this representation on screen is more "real" than the sophisticated softproof in Photoshop. But in another way you have to get used to it and "learn" how to interpret it.
Me personally I don't use C1 for printing nor for print-previewing (="softproof"). But of course you could do so ...
To me C1 is by far the best tool to squeeze out the most out of your RAW files ... for anything else I do use different tools ...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:57:22 pm by tho_mas »

ppmax2

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »

Thanks for the pointers tho_mas, much appreciated.

As an Aperture refugee I'm still trying to find a new "home" and have been using C1, Iridient Developer (another fantastic Raw developer), and RawTherapee (again, fantastic in many ways but also like a massive science project). Since I am not yet proficient in any of these as I was in Aperture I'm eager to learn all the workflow tips/tricks more experienced users have come to know. A big hurdle so far is that while there are similar features, the proper use of these is typically different. Your tip is a great one because switching profiles via the View menu is a bit cumbersome, while creating process profiles provides easy access to commonly used profiles. I also learned that process profiles can be disabled to prevent littering of my system with outputs I do not require.

My only "gripe" with these other tools so far vs. Aperture is that Aperture absolutely *flies* on my 27" i7 iMac...even with hardware acceleration enabled in C1 it's a dog in comparison. But C1 can produce stunning output so it's worth the wait :)

>>Me personally I don't use C1 for printing nor for print-previewing (="softproof"). But of course you could do so ...

Out of curiosity, why don't you use C1 for print-preview and proofing?

Thanks again
PP

tho_mas

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 04:47:47 pm »

Out of curiosity, why don't you use C1 for print-preview and proofing?
the full list of reasons would be pretty long.
But in short:
- there are some Photoshop Plugins I need (Alpa Lens Corrector on top of the list)
- retouching in PS
- I am printing pretty big ... and for best results the work involved has to be done in multiple steps (and I need the "blend if" option of Photoshops layers)
- I do need said sophisticated softproofing options only Photoshop provides

PhilippeRouquet

• Numinoos Nature Photography
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 09:45:38 am »

Thanks tho_mas.
I think I understand the process and I will follow your recommendation.
Philippe
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up