Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 35mm Lens for Cambo Actus?  (Read 7867 times)

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
35mm Lens for Cambo Actus?
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:45:58 am »

I'm working out lens options for an Actus/Sony setup for architecture. 

Has anyone compared the C/Y PC-Distagon to Contax 645 35mm?  (Ignoring 645 aperture-control issues for the moment.)  How about the Pentax 645 35mm - where does it fit in?  I'm interested in sharpness in the outer image circle, point light response, veiling flare, distortion.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:54:07 am by alan_b »

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: 35mm Lens for Cambo Actus?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 07:34:59 am »

I haven't gotten my hands on the 645 35mm (have heard good things about it).  I bought the CY 35mm PC to use on my Arca M2 & Universalis with the A7rii.  Given its age, I have been really impressed with this lens!  It is certainly nice to have the manual apertures.  Also, given that it's retrofocus, I have much less lens cast and corner smearing than I had with my SK 35mm.

I've also heard great things about the new Pentax 35mm for their 645.  I believe Paul moved from the CY to the Pentax.  Maybe he'll chime in on that.

Cheers,
CB

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:01:04 am »

Has anyone compared the C/Y PC-Distagon to Contax 645 35mm?  (Ignoring 645 aperture-control issues for the moment.)  How about the Pentax 645 35mm - where does it fit in?  I'm interested in sharpness in the outer image circle, point light response, veiling flare, distortion.

Thanks!
I called Cambo the other day as the use of C645 lenses on it, concerns me too since I own the whole series but the 350mm lens... Their reply is that before they consider other mounts that need electronic aperture control, they have first to introduce the EOS mount which will be ready by the end of the year... So I guess that C645 mount won't be available any day soon... Of course one may use the EOS mount and control the aperture via a JAS or Conorus adapter, but judging out of my JAS adapter for Nikon design which I use to adapt my C645 lenses on my Nikons, It looks like there will be severe vignetting introduced by the adapter it self that will reduce the available image circle unacceptably for serius use of movements...

I believe all 35mm lenses that are of the PC kind will have enough image circle provision to serve the A7's sensor well... my thinking is that Mamiya RZ & Hasselblad V lenses should work very well, as well as some enlarger short teles... for WAs, me being a Nikon user, I am thinking on the old 35/2.8 and the 28/3.5 as well as the "modern" Samyang 24/3.5 PC.... Then, one can sell the lenses if a C645 mount will be introduced...

Very interesting subject though that needs as much discussion as possible since the A7/Actus combination looks to be a great alternative than using a (much more costly) MFDB/view camera combination that looks to add very little in what one can achieve with the Actus & A7... (let alone the size and maneuvreability). I believe that if Sony introduces a (highly rumored) "true color" multishot version of the A7 camera and Cambo works as for people to integrate the combo with their already existing gear, it can both provide a perfect alternative for view camera photography, as well as provide an long lasting tool for pros that would prohibit them from nothing that a much more costly MFDB/view camera combination would achieve...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 09:30:07 am »

Thanks!

I used the Pentax FA 35mm for years on my Zork, first with the 1ds, then 1ds MKII and finally the 5d MKII.  I only was able to use it one time sadly on a true Pentax 645D but it was good there also.  Mine was an early version, made in Vietnam, not sure where the Pentax glass is made now.  I used this setup for shifting on my Canon's up to 18mm for a 3 shot vertical capture which I in turn made into a horizontal image.  My only reason for this was resolution. 

I found the Pentax lens to be excellent, and it far exceeded the Mamiya 645 35mm (manual focus) that I had been using.  The fact that Pentax still had a manual aperture ring made this possible.   The vast majority of my shots were from F8 to F14, average was F11.  The images were all very good even when shifted to the 18mm max of the Zork.  Funny this thread comes up, as I have been recently reworking a lot of images from the 1ds MKII and Zork with this lens and they still make great prints, especially with LR's new pano feature. 

The Zork when shifted to 18mm on a 35mm body always caught the edge of the mirror box and thus gave a hard black vignette on the inside of the frame, (not needed part of file), however most pano tools including CC up to 4 tried to blend this hard black into the frame, so all the work had to be done manually.  LR, does this seamlessly and makes these files much easier to work with now. 

Net, if you get a good lens, it will do well for you with the Aptus.  I tried to purchase my old lens back about 1 year ago, but the owner would not let it go.  I don't know if the newer versions are as good and where they are made, along with if they still have the manual aperture ring. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:24:23 pm »

I have built a m43 system that utilizes the Cambo Actus.

A few things about the Cambo Actus (using an Olympus EM-5 II body):

1) Cambo says 50mm is the widest lens that will work. However, I've engineered a workaround for using a 40mm lens that allows approximately  +/- 8mm  shift and rise/fall (for m43);
2) The front standard--tilt function is good, swing function is finicky;
3) The back standard rise/fall is nicely geared while the shift is not geared;
4) This is not a view camera so much as a technical camera--rise/fall, shift on back standard & swing and tilt on the front standard.
5) The focus gearing is smooth as silk.

Despite the limitations, I love working with the Actus. It's taken a bit of practice to learn its quirks.

I had a Sony A7 for a few months and used it with the Actus. I liked using a FF mirrorless 35mm body, however I do not like the A7, so I sold it. I'm sure the A7r-II is a good match, however it is absolutely critical that the swing movement is set to neutral when not required. The detente is a bit off.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:27:02 pm by BobDavid »

alan_b

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:21:26 pm »

Chris,

I’ve been reading your adventures w/ the CY & Hassy lenses - I’m convinced that MF SLR lenses are the way to go (for me) to eliminate the whole LCC step.  I was previously using Digitars on a P25 before ditching them for D3X a few years ago.

I haven't gotten my hands on the 645 35mm (have heard good things about it).  I bought the CY 35mm PC to use on my Arca M2 & Universalis with the A7rii.  Given its age, I have been really impressed with this lens!  It is certainly nice to have the manual apertures.  Also, given that it's retrofocus, I have much less lens cast and corner smearing than I had with my SK 35mm.

I've also heard great things about the new Pentax 35mm for their 645.  I believe Paul moved from the CY to the Pentax.  Maybe he'll chime in on that.

Cheers,
CB
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:24:56 pm by alan_b »

alan_b

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 01:22:34 pm »

Theodoros,

Yes, an “official” Cambo Contax mount would be great - I’d expect it to be priced similarly to the forthcoming Canon mount at ~$1200.  If it’s going to be a while and for that price, I’d just make a custom mount to get me going sooner.

I own all the old & new Nikon PC lenses.  The latest version 28 & 35 are OK - usable in a pinch, but I usually stitch w/ the 45 PC-E or crop the 24 instead.  The 35 sharpness falls off pretty fast, and the 28 is not as good as simply cropping the 24.

I called Cambo the other day as the use of C645 lenses on it, concerns me too since I own the whole series but the 350mm lens... Their reply is that before they consider other mounts that need electronic aperture control, they have first to introduce the EOS mount which will be ready by the end of the year... So I guess that C645 mount won't be available any day soon... Of course one may use the EOS mount and control the aperture via a JAS or Conorus adapter, but judging out of my JAS adapter for Nikon design which I use to adapt my C645 lenses on my Nikons, It looks like there will be severe vignetting introduced by the adapter it self that will reduce the available image circle unacceptably for serius use of movements...

I believe all 35mm lenses that are of the PC kind will have enough image circle provision to serve the A7's sensor well... my thinking is that Mamiya RZ & Hasselblad V lenses should work very well, as well as some enlarger short teles... for WAs, me being a Nikon user, I am thinking on the old 35/2.8 and the 28/3.5 as well as the "modern" Samyang 24/3.5 PC.... Then, one can sell the lenses if a C645 mount will be introduced...

Very interesting subject though that needs as much discussion as possible since the A7/Actus combination looks to be a great alternative than using a (much more costly) MFDB/view camera combination that looks to add very little in what one can achieve with the Actus & A7... (let alone the size and maneuvreability). I believe that if Sony introduces a (highly rumored) "true color" multishot version of the A7 camera and Cambo works as for people to integrate the combo with their already existing gear, it can both provide a perfect alternative for view camera photography, as well as provide an long lasting tool for pros that would prohibit them from nothing that a much more costly MFDB/view camera combination would achieve...

alan_b

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 01:23:08 pm »

Paul,

Thanks for your experience w/ the Pentax & Zork.  A Pentax set would be simplest mount-wise!  For some reason I’m attracted to the idea of the Contax lenses, despite the engineering problem of getting the apertures working.  I have some samples coming to see if they’re worth the effort.

I used the Pentax FA 35mm for years on my Zork, first with the 1ds, then 1ds MKII and finally the 5d MKII.  I only was able to use it one time sadly on a true Pentax 645D but it was good there also.  Mine was an early version, made in Vietnam, not sure where the Pentax glass is made now.  I used this setup for shifting on my Canon's up to 18mm for a 3 shot vertical capture which I in turn made into a horizontal image.  My only reason for this was resolution. 

I found the Pentax lens to be excellent, and it far exceeded the Mamiya 645 35mm (manual focus) that I had been using.  The fact that Pentax still had a manual aperture ring made this possible.   The vast majority of my shots were from F8 to F14, average was F11.  The images were all very good even when shifted to the 18mm max of the Zork.  Funny this thread comes up, as I have been recently reworking a lot of images from the 1ds MKII and Zork with this lens and they still make great prints, especially with LR's new pano feature. 

The Zork when shifted to 18mm on a 35mm body always caught the edge of the mirror box and thus gave a hard black vignette on the inside of the frame, (not needed part of file), however most pano tools including CC up to 4 tried to blend this hard black into the frame, so all the work had to be done manually.  LR, does this seamlessly and makes these files much easier to work with now. 

Net, if you get a good lens, it will do well for you with the Aptus.  I tried to purchase my old lens back about 1 year ago, but the owner would not let it go.  I don't know if the newer versions are as good and where they are made, along with if they still have the manual aperture ring. 

Paul
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:24:42 pm by alan_b »

alan_b

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »

Bob,

What is your workaround for the 40mm?  What’s finicky about the front swing?  Geared swing is one of the things that interests me in the Actus over the Arca.

I find the separate DB/standard body distinction annoying, and would probably get the DB+ for geared shift and modify it for a Sony mount.  (Unless I can get a custom config. of a Sony “carrier” on a DB+ rear base.)

I have built a m43 system that utilizes the Cambo Actus.

A few things about the Cambo Actus (using an Olympus EM-5 II body):

1) Cambo says 50mm is the widest lens that will work. However, I've engineered a workaround for using a 40mm lens that allows approximately  +/- 8mm  shift and rise/fall (for m43);
2) The front standard--tilt function is good, swing function is finicky;
3) The back standard rise/fall is nicely geared while the shift is not geared;
4) This is not a view camera so much as a technical camera--rise/fall, shift on back standard & swing and tilt on the front standard.
5) The focus gearing is smooth as silk.

Despite the limitations, I love working with the Actus. It's taken a bit of practice to learn its quirks.

I had a Sony A7 for a few months and used it with the Actus. I liked using a FF mirrorless 35mm body, however I do not like the A7, so I sold it. I'm sure the A7r-II is a good match, however it is absolutely critical that the swing movement is set to neutral when not required. The detente is a bit off.

Theodoros

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 02:23:08 pm »

Theodoros,

Yes, an “official” Cambo Contax mount would be great - I’d expect it to be priced similarly to the forthcoming Canon mount at ~$1200.  If it’s going to be a while and for that price, I’d just make a custom mount to get me going sooner.

I own all the old & new Nikon PC lenses.  The latest version 28 & 35 are OK - usable in a pinch, but I usually stitch w/ the 45 PC-E or crop the 24 instead.  The 35 sharpness falls off pretty fast, and the 28 is not as good as simply cropping the 24.

There was a discussion on C645 lenses image circle on Get DPI a few months ago... I was able to spot it, have a look you may find it useful... http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/53400-image-circle-contax-645-lens.html

It seems that the image circle is enough to allow even a 37x49 MFDB to be used with 12mm of shift & 12 degs of tilt... This would mean that a 24x36mm sensor would be easy to cope with... It seems that on ALPA they found out this ability and they decided to release a shift/tilt adapter for Contax lenses to be used on the FPS camera with an MFDB...

Notice that somebody mentions in that discussion that he found the C645 35mm lens much sharper than the C/Y lens you also consider....

For me it is very important to reduce the equipment I have to carry to perform different tasks, I managed that with my Nikons as I got the JAS adapter which allows me to use my C645 glass on the Nikons and thus only kept the 17-35/2.8 zoom & the 85/3.5 PC micro to have on Nikon mount..., but I also need to change the FUJI GX680 on which I share my 2 multishot MFDBs with the Contax for whenever I need movements... If I could integrate the Contax lenses on the Actus and Sony releases the (highly rumored) "true color" version of the A7, it would be a real blessing for me... I could then travel with my C645 system only and just add the Actus and a Sony A7 (body only) with me....

Of course converting the Actus could be another option if one has a spare Contax mount with CPUs and the (easy to obtain) service manual as to power the aperture motor with a battery... He then could use some H-V lenses on the same mount via an inexpensive adapter and even save the money for an additional V-mount for the Actus...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:27:52 pm by Theodoros »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 06:51:24 pm »

Hi all,

I've been using the Zork adapter with Pentax 645 glass on my (now aging) 5dmkII for about 4 years now.
I'm about to switch out to a 5dsr after alot of thought on maybe the A7r.

I've found the Pentax glass to be extremely good on the 5d set up and to echo Pauls comments  on the 35, it's a wonderful lens.  I tested it once against the 24TSEII+1.4x, and there was
  • a little more barrell distortion on the outer edges of the frame
  • outer sharpness was reasonably comparable
  • colour rendition was nicer to my eye (but I've always been a fan of the SMC coating)
  • I had 6 more mm of movement than the Canon

Other favourite lenses were the 75 and 120 and 600(wish I'd never sold this).  The 45 and 55 weren't quite up to par with these others.

I also recently picked up the 645z and have been enjoying shooting the FA35mm.  I'm putting together a comparison of images  of this combo, the 5dmkii/24TSE and the Credo60/SK43 as the equivalent focal lengths are all in the 24-28 range.  I'll share when I've more to show and maybe the 5dsr as the resolution will be more comparable.
The 35 is performing very well on the 645z - not sure how it will go on the 5dsr.

I would think that these pentax lenses would play well on the Actus/A7r, but there are some critical steps missing as the 45 and 55 are not totally up to scratch.  I've got round this by stitching the 75mm as it is an absolute cracker of a lens.

AL
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

vjbelle

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 02:10:06 am »

I have not had an opportunity to work with the Actus but the swing detente being a bit off is very troubling as that would have a serious impact on focus left/right.  I am also looking into the Arca and, for sure, will check out how the front swing works and how accurate the detent - if there is one - works. 

Victor

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 11:21:23 am »

...as well as the "modern" Samyang 24/3.5 PC....

Don't buy it.
Its no better than PC Nikkor and miles away to TS-E II
For 24 megapixel cams is acceptable, but now on A7r i never use shift more than 6mm - except for clear sky.
Build is also mediocre and shift rotation is limited to top-right or bottom-left corners.
Also it has bad flare control and distortion.
So far its not a bad lens, but latest canon is on different league.

alan_b

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 02:05:40 pm »

Thanks Andrew, comparison to the TSE+TC is very helpful!

The 45/55 is also a point I'd need to cover, so if they're not as strong, it gives me pause.  Then there's the Pentax 25mm that i'd be interested in seeing on a 24x36 sensor... 

Hi all,

I've been using the Zork adapter with Pentax 645 glass on my (now aging) 5dmkII for about 4 years now.
I'm about to switch out to a 5dsr after alot of thought on maybe the A7r.

I've found the Pentax glass to be extremely good on the 5d set up and to echo Pauls comments  on the 35, it's a wonderful lens.  I tested it once against the 24TSEII+1.4x, and there was
  • a little more barrell distortion on the outer edges of the frame
  • outer sharpness was reasonably comparable
  • colour rendition was nicer to my eye (but I've always been a fan of the SMC coating)
  • I had 6 more mm of movement than the Canon

Other favourite lenses were the 75 and 120 and 600(wish I'd never sold this).  The 45 and 55 weren't quite up to par with these others.

I also recently picked up the 645z and have been enjoying shooting the FA35mm.  I'm putting together a comparison of images  of this combo, the 5dmkii/24TSE and the Credo60/SK43 as the equivalent focal lengths are all in the 24-28 range.  I'll share when I've more to show and maybe the 5dsr as the resolution will be more comparable.
The 35 is performing very well on the 645z - not sure how it will go on the 5dsr.

I would think that these pentax lenses would play well on the Actus/A7r, but there are some critical steps missing as the 45 and 55 are not totally up to scratch.  I've got round this by stitching the 75mm as it is an absolute cracker of a lens.

AL

alan_b

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 02:15:36 pm »

Theodoros, thanks for the pointer to the GetDPI examples.

For the Contax service manual, the only place I've seen it so far is someone selling photocopies on ebay - do you know another source?  (Not that I'm trying to cramp anyones $25 photocopy business - just would prefer to get it from a "legit" source.)  The Kyocera site seems to be shut down, though I've found the owner's manual. 

Has the JAS adapter been reliable after using it for a while?

There was a discussion on C645 lenses image circle on Get DPI a few months ago... I was able to spot it, have a look you may find it useful... http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/53400-image-circle-contax-645-lens.html

It seems that the image circle is enough to allow even a 37x49 MFDB to be used with 12mm of shift & 12 degs of tilt... This would mean that a 24x36mm sensor would be easy to cope with... It seems that on ALPA they found out this ability and they decided to release a shift/tilt adapter for Contax lenses to be used on the FPS camera with an MFDB...

Notice that somebody mentions in that discussion that he found the C645 35mm lens much sharper than the C/Y lens you also consider....

For me it is very important to reduce the equipment I have to carry to perform different tasks, I managed that with my Nikons as I got the JAS adapter which allows me to use my C645 glass on the Nikons and thus only kept the 17-35/2.8 zoom & the 85/3.5 PC micro to have on Nikon mount..., but I also need to change the FUJI GX680 on which I share my 2 multishot MFDBs with the Contax for whenever I need movements... If I could integrate the Contax lenses on the Actus and Sony releases the (highly rumored) "true color" version of the A7, it would be a real blessing for me... I could then travel with my C645 system only and just add the Actus and a Sony A7 (body only) with me....

Of course converting the Actus could be another option if one has a spare Contax mount with CPUs and the (easy to obtain) service manual as to power the aperture motor with a battery... He then could use some H-V lenses on the same mount via an inexpensive adapter and even save the money for an additional V-mount for the Actus...

Theodoros

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 02:43:03 pm »

Theodoros, thanks for the pointer to the GetDPI examples.

For the Contax service manual, the only place I've seen it so far is someone selling photocopies on ebay - do you know another source?  (Not that I'm trying to cramp anyones $25 photocopy business - just would prefer to get it from a "legit" source.)  The Kyocera site seems to be shut down, though I've found the owner's manual. 

Has the JAS adapter been reliable after using it for a while?

JAS adapter is fine... only the stop down metering button on the DF doesn't work... Very pleased with the Contax lenses on the Nikons! The 120m could blow ones mind! ...all of them are superb (even the 45/2.8 wide open), I only mind the 35 & 55 slow speed in some cases.

I could make a copy of my service manual and sent it over... but wouldn't the copy & mail cost be more than this? ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yashica-Kyocera-Contax-645-Camera-Repair-Manual-/191507985936

EDIT: Sent me a pm with your mail if you are interested to have it scanned and mail it to you, I also have a spare camera mount (i have more than one actually... with CPUs and everything needed) out of some broken cameras I bought for spare parts a few years ago if you are interested ...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:00:58 pm by Theodoros »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 04:57:53 pm »

Thanks Andrew, comparison to the TSE+TC is very helpful!

The 45/55 is also a point I'd need to cover, so if they're not as strong, it gives me pause.  Then there's the Pentax 25mm that i'd be interested in seeing on a 24x36 sensor...

Hi Alan,

There is reports of sample variation with the P645 glass.  I may have had some not so great ones.
The 55 was better than the 45.  Main cause of concern was CA, which of course can be corrected.  Both where A series lenses.  I'm not sure how the FA series stand up there.  I have an FA 45, but haven't tried it as yet.

The newer DFA pentax lenses don't have an Aperture ring.  I currently have on loan a copy of the 24-45 and I'm trying to work out how to 'freeze' the aperture so can give it a whirl on the Canon+zork.  If I can, I can try the DFA 55 as well.

I'll let you know.

A

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

alan_b

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 08:02:26 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I've got some Contax glass & other bits on the way, will report back after some experimentation.

Andrew, I'll look forward to seeing some Pentax tests when you get around to it.

Theodoros, I went ahead & bought a photocopied service manual domestically - thanks for the offer.

alan_b

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 01:43:14 pm »

I got one of the JAS adapters and have been testing for a few days with C645 35 & 55mm lenses on D800/810.

Adapter is well-made, fits well.  As others have said, AF is accurate - if noisy and slow compared to native lenses.
One downside, there is no AF in live view.  Not why I bought it, but I didn't realize this beforehand.  The maker says he is not sure how to implement this.  Also, the focus will sometimes move when turning on/off the camera.  I haven't figured out the cases where this happens, but something to be careful of when shooting for compositing.

On the Contax lenses, I've been mixing them in w/ Nikon nano-coat lenses (PC-E & 14-24).  The Contaxes are sharper in the corners wide open (un-shifted 135 format), and comparable stopped down.  Way better than the older-generation PC-Nikkors.  Color is warmer, more magenta than the Nano-coat Nikkors.  The Contaxes seem more susceptible to veiling flare from broad sources (open sky above, open window to the side.  It's often subtle, and can sneak in if I'm not paying attention, just giving the impression of lower contrast.  Generally though, contrast & color is excellent compared to the Nano-coat lenses, maybe slightly lower contrast but I'm still evaluating this. 

At the moment I'm still waiting on some pieces to allow shifting the Contax lenses, so have no impression beyond the 135 frame yet.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:22:03 am by alan_b »

wallpaperviking

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 09:32:51 pm »

Really interesting thread!  I am also interested in this focal length and have tossed up between the two Contax lenses mentioned..

The 645 has a larger image circle but obviously has the disadvantage of not having aperture control.. 

I already have the Pentax 645 35mm A (older version with manual aperture ring) and find this to be excellent.. I am no expert at all but definitely find it good enough for my needs..

I recently purchased the Hcam Master and have briefly tested it by shifting with the Hcam Master (ending up with a circular image) to show its image circle..  I believe that I am running into mechanical vignetting with the adapter before I am running into any issues with the lens' image circle..

Am happy to do another quick test with this combo (Sony A7R + Hcam Master + Pentax 645 35mm) but am not sure what is the best testing situation to properly ascertain a lenses performance..

Any suggestions? 

To alan_b when you mention some pieces to allow shifting of the Contax 645 glass, are you referring to a Mirex adapter?  Or is there some other part out there to do the job? 

Thanks..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up