Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael Tapes Sony review  (Read 28415 times)

cengell

Re: Michael Tapes Sony review
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »

Also I am looking forward when Sony brings out the true 14bit uncompressed and hope Michael will retest as I expect the Sony to be even better!

I know Michael personalty and is a class act as well are his products! Looking for Part 2 and Part 3 (with new FW & 14 Bit uncompressed)

Thanks Michael for your hard work!
Christopher

MarkL

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2015, 05:23:50 pm »

Here's a real world example from a shoot yesterday in Florence.

Posted for fun with no implications. I just thought it might be worthwhile to remember why it is that we fuss over technical arcana.

Sony A7R II with 16-35mm f/4 @ ISO 100

How well did the EVF deal with the scene?

risedal

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »

There are some errors in the test due to Adobe raw converters
first of all Adobe has problems with the black point and high iso and regarding d810 and the sony camera
my results are  presented here by links , Adobe raw converter and profiles are twisting the results in lower levels, and high iso=low signal and estimating black points
My conclusion are, the reddish results are not corresponding with the S/N from Sony and Nikon, get rid of the reddish due a new grey black point the results will be  different, or use a different raw converter . I can be called newbie here but not at dpreview.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56521457
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56521572
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:32:25 pm by risedal »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2015, 12:07:43 am »

Hi,

My experience with HDR in LR is a very positive one, but I seldom resort to it because my cameras have a good DR. The nice thing with HDR in LR that it can be tone mapped using LR's tools. It is the best HDR tool I ever used.

Best regards
Erik

I also wondered a bit about Michael's remark about the HDR from LR, not looking as good as a pushed version. But since I'm not a subscriber to LR CC, I cannot test that myself. My experience with other HDR tonemapping software, suggests that very realistically tonemapped results are certainly possible based on HDRI source files, some even better than the real thing because they overcome the physical limitations that we work around with our eyes/brain by constantly accommodating for the average brightness differences in a narrow angle of view.

But since he's traveling, maybe he just didn't get the opportunity yet to do a better HDR tonemapping job.

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2015, 05:45:44 am »

Hi,

My experience with HDR in LR is a very positive one, but I seldom resort to it because my cameras have a good DR. The nice thing with HDR in LR that it can be tone mapped using LR's tools. It is the best HDR tool I ever used.

Best regards
Erik

Absolutely and it made lesser DR cameras a lot more useful in extreme situations. So actually the best thing that happened since LR 4 where we got the new tone mapping controls which was also a revelation IMHO. I still have to see the faults in it for landscapes and other situations where there is obstacles like moving elements that can't be handled well with the deghosting option. Landscapes are good targets for this. Seascapes a bit less so with waves crashing. See you soon :)

Deardorff

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2015, 11:12:11 pm »

Michael, can you post a printed summary of the results? Slow internet in rural North Dakota makes looking at video impossible or very difficult at times. Waiting three to four hours for a 12 minute video to play with all the start/stop/buffering is not worth it.

HansKoot

• HKPHOTO
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2015, 05:31:17 am »

There are some errors in the test due to Adobe raw converters
first of all Adobe has problems with the black point and high iso and regarding d810 and the sony camera
my results are  presented here by links , Adobe raw converter and profiles are twisting the results in lower levels, and high iso=low signal and estimating black points
My conclusion are, the reddish results are not corresponding with the S/N from Sony and Nikon, get rid of the reddish due a new grey black point the results will be  different, or use a different raw converter . I can be called newbie here but not at dpreview.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56521457
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56521572

Since my own (very limited by eye) comparison I don't trust Adobe raw converter a lot anymore too, certainly in difficult exposure situations. I agree with you it at least needs a closer look as this test was performed at the limits of the raw converter as well. See my previous post about this (actually with strong blue cast on an adobe DNG ) http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102371.0 .
"Its better to create something that others criticize than to create nothing and criticize others" (Ricky Gervais)

svein

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2015, 02:39:40 pm »

Interesting and well executed test IMO. It would be interesting to see if uncompressed RAW from the a7rII change the results significantly.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2015, 04:41:45 pm »

Interesting and well executed test IMO. It would be interesting to see if uncompressed RAW from the a7rII change the results significantly.

Hi,

The expected differences are probably limited to high contrast edge and line detail, not overall visual noise.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2015, 09:10:13 pm »

Same thing here in Tulum, Mexico. This afternoon I tried to watch Michael Levin's Koyo video and couldn't. Perhaps later tonight I'll have more speed.
Thank you very much.
Eduardo

Michael, can you post a printed summary of the results? Slow internet in rural North Dakota makes looking at video impossible or very difficult at times. Waiting three to four hours for a 12 minute video to play with all the start/stop/buffering is not worth it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:16:08 pm by uaiomex »

rdonson

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2015, 10:45:46 am »

Here's an interesting piece for this group to chew on and argue about....

http://www.strollswithmydog.com/information-transfer-non-iso-invariant-case/
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up