Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from Acrobat with a custom ICC printer profile  (Read 2920 times)

Printing from Acrobat with a custom ICC printer profile
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:05:00 pm »

Up until recently we've done most of our printing via PS or LR with custom print profiles. Recently we needed to print some native Acrobat vector files and tried to just use that engine instead of rasterizing in PS. Acrobat doesn't have all the print options that either PS or LR have but it does have a color management section with an option to select the color handling (ICC). We select our paper/ink profile and the colors immediately shift the image radically toward a bluish cast. The image prints with this same bluish cast. The same .pdf file prints fine in PS. What are we doing wrong here?

howardm

Re: Printing from Acrobat with a custom ICC printer profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:30:28 pm »

I'd be curious as to the paper you're using and the rendering intent you specified.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:53:22 pm »

The paper is a generic Epson mid level matte. The printer profile works great in PS - spot on in both the proof and output. We used perceptual as the rendering intent.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »

Up until recently we've done most of our printing via PS or LR with custom print profiles. Recently we needed to print some native Acrobat vector files and tried to just use that engine instead of rasterizing in PS. Acrobat doesn't have all the print options that either PS or LR have but it does have a color management section with an option to select the color handling (ICC). We select our paper/ink profile and the colors immediately shift the image radically toward a bluish cast. The image prints with this same bluish cast. The same .pdf file prints fine in PS. What are we doing wrong here?
Off hand, sounds like an Absolute Colorimetric intent is being used which you probably don't want. If everything is setup the same as PS, the output should be identical.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

stingray

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 01:51:35 pm »

Are you using the Acrobat viewer or the full Acrobat version of the software. 

As far as I am aware, there are more print options if you use the full version of Acrobat.  I have created fine art  image layouts within InDesign, using images from Lightroom and got perfect results printing using Acrobat, but spent a lot of time exploring the "save to pdf" settings within InDesign and also the Acrobat print settings.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:03:01 pm »

Off hand, sounds like an Absolute Colorimetric intent is being used which you probably don't want. If everything is setup the same as PS, the output should be identical.

We may not be exploring all the color/print options that Acrobat has to offer. When we go to print we get the initial dialog box and go to Advanced and select the Color Profile (printer ICC) from the box. Unlike PS there is no rendering intent selection there. It may be in another menu. We are using Acrobat XI Pro.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »

Some years ago I tried to print using colour management in an earlier version of Acrobat Pro and was singularly unsuccessful.  I put a lot of effort into it, had long conversations with Adobe, and finally gave up on Acrobat and rasterised PDFs to print through Photoshop.  The trick, I found, to getting good clean edges on vectors was to rasterise at least double the printing ‘resolution’ of the printer.  So for a 300dpi printer I rasterise at 600ppi.

I can’t speak for Acrobat Pro XI since I do not use it, but it sounds like the problem may not have been fixed.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 04:55:58 am »

Any idea how the colors are defined in the file; as CMYK or RGB or a combination of them for different elements in the vector designs? If you rasterize through Photoshop, do you set RGB or CMYK as the assumed color in the file? Maybe a similar bluish effect may show when you assume CMYK in the PS import of the PDF or the other way around. With RGB-device printer profiling, as you seem to use, try to convince your customers to use RGB  color definition in all their designs. You may not succeed with that but nevertheless. I prefer to use Photoshop rasterizing anyway with unknown vector designs, I check both color options and compare the results. Font substitution by another font is also less likely to happen in Photoshop rasterizing. And yes, set the rasterizing resolution as high as possible given the memory limits in both PS and the driver.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

aaronchan

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 05:45:08 am »

Havn't read it yet, but seems like it is related to this topic

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/color-conversion-ink-management-acrobat.html

might help.

aaron

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 10:30:26 am »

We may not be exploring all the color/print options that Acrobat has to offer.
Check out Print Production>Convert Colors.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:20:19 pm »

Havn't read it yet, but seems like it is related to this topic

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/color-conversion-ink-management-acrobat.html

might help.

aaron

Excellent link. We'll give this a shot tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up