Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a new desk lamp for digital processing.  (Read 87553 times)

sgwrx

Re: Choosing a new desk lamp for digital processing.
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2015, 10:13:08 pm »

well, i found an expensive lamp: http://arcadianhome.com/LS-2037-PS  i emailed the company who makes it and they pointed me to this retailer. (EDIT, i emailed them the link to the solux mr16 bulbs and this is what they said would work with it)  i've ordered it and a couple of solux non-black bulbs + diffuser. the price of the lamp doesn't irk me as much as the 50% of total order price for shipping.  really?  solux doesn't offer any information or help when it comes to some type of free standing desk light and the shipping charge is 1/2 the cost of 2 bulbs and a diffuser.  $15 shipping $30 bulbs/diffuser.  i know i shouldn't complain because i did it, but i will :)  anyway, they must just do big commercial projects and probably do consumer stuff because enough people bugged them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:24:12 pm by sgwrx »

RHPS

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2015, 05:13:53 am »

If you've ordered the non-black Solux you may find you need to paint the inside of the lamp housing black. I have the non-black Solux in ordinary flush down-light fittings and I found that the light leaving the back of the Solux was being reflected back through the lamp and "contaminating" the forward beam, reducing the colour temperature.

sgwrx

« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2015, 05:36:47 pm »

pardon the late update!  i got the lamp and the solux bulbs.  lost the diffuser somewhere - it didn't have it's own box. wouldn't have worked because turns out i need the frame to attach it.

anyway... 50 watts is WAY to bright for a desktop lamp. i mean wow.  looks good though!  prints look awesome.  the ott light just isn't as rich looking or something.

the lamp i have definitely has an open back, it's surprising to see how yellow the light is coming out the sides/back.

i'm going to go ahead and order the 4700k 35watt and diffuser.  i'm not sure how that's going to work... the diffuser has a black shield that allows you to attach it over the bulb.  i'm guessing it will work just like the black bulbs would work?  just in case i think i'll order the black bulbs.  i might try the 3500k too. i have one but it's 50w and i haven't tried it yet, i'll do that this week.

sgwrx

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2015, 12:17:11 pm »

I have an update on this.  The lamp I referenced above has an interesting way to mount the bulb.  The bulb attaches to the socket on the top side (back side) of a ring. the bulb then shines down through the ring onto the desk.  The back side of the bulb is exposed and leaks light (so I did order the black backs).

I just received my two 4700k 35watt bulbs and it is MUCH better in that it's not blindingly bright like the 50watt.  I also got the black back bulbs.

The opening in the ring of the lamp is perfect size to first drop in the diffuser, curved side facing down towards the desk.  Then the socket and bulb can slide down on top of that at an adjustable height.  My only concern is whether or not there should be a gap between the diffuser and the rim of the bulb for heat purposes? I'll email solux about that.

I'm REALLY liking this lamp although it's not as tall as I would like it, but it's working out very nicely with the black back mr-16 bulbs!

sgwrx

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »

I've attached a photo of the lamp head/socket with the diffuser and black back bulb.

howardm

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2015, 02:24:49 pm »

how tall is it?

sgwrx

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2015, 02:35:21 pm »

19" from my desk to the top of that little flexible electrical line. at that height, it puts the bottom of the lamp ring at 16" off the desk.  if you tilt the lamp forward fully (which means moving the head assembly further out over the desk) the lamp ring is 14.5" off the desk.  you can't tilt it forward too far.

sgwrx

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2015, 05:28:17 pm »

i just tried a spotread via argyllcms and colormunki.  spotread -a.  these are the results.  the diffuser might have something to do with the CCT being less than 4700 (unless i need to let the lamp warm up?) and honestly i'm not exactly sure i'm doing the ambient light reading correctly.  also, that mounting ring could be coloring the light due it the bulb being reflected on the inside edges.

Result is XYZ: 3661.682140 3776.785013 2606.918954, D50 Lab: 373.193350 3.080063 38.701747
Ambient = 3776.8 Lux, CCT = 4454K (Delta E 6.691731)
Suggested EV @ ISO100 for 3776.8 Lux incident light = 10.6
Closest Planckian temperature = 4324K (Delta E 5.473168)
Closest Daylight temperature  = 4412K (Delta E 2.011641)
Color Rendering Index (Ra) = 96.4

wallyk

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2015, 11:07:08 pm »

I have been surprised that the OTTLITE has not been mentioned in this forum. I find the light a very pleasing addition to my desktop and as it is very reasonably priced in Costco Canada it would likely be much cheaper in the US. It has three levels of brightness 766 Lux @ 5219 K, 308 lux @ 5211K ,and 81 Lux @ 5195 K. Measured by I1Pro 11 and Babelcolor CT& A the spectrum seems reasonably flat and the more detailed specifications are in the attached

AlterEgo

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2015, 11:12:33 pm »

the spectrum seems reasonably flat

does that look "reasonable" ?

AlterEgo

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2015, 11:14:28 pm »

the CCT being less than 4700
voltage...

r010159

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 11:35:09 pm »

I have been surprised that the OTTLITE has not been mentioned in this forum. I find the light a very pleasing addition to my desktop and as it is very reasonably priced in Costco Canada it would likely be much cheaper in the US. It has three levels of brightness 766 Lux @ 5219 K, 308 lux @ 5211K ,and 81 Lux @ 5195 K. Measured by I1Pro 11 and Babelcolor CT& A the spectrum seems reasonably flat and the more detailed specifications are in the attached

What about the Fiilex V70 Color Viewing Lamp? There are 3000K, 4000K, 5000K, and 6500K color temperature selections. It has a CRI greater than 90, whatever this means. And it can be continuously dimmed from 100% to 25% of its light intensity. This viewing lamp also has a diffuser dome attachment. This costs a whole $195 from B&H. I have not measured this with my i1Pro yet. Oh yes, the description states it is good for 50,000 hours of light.

It may not be as accurate as a viewing booth, but it appears to give me an idea of how the print will change with each setting.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:41:09 pm by r010159 »

AlterEgo

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2015, 11:46:42 pm »

What about the Fiilex V70 Color Viewing Lamp?
datasheet with spectrums = http://fiilex.com/pdf/Fiilex_V70_DataSheet.pdf

r010159

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2015, 01:16:03 am »

datasheet with spectrums = http://fiilex.com/pdf/Fiilex_V70_DataSheet.pdf

Thanks for the link!

The lamp has a CRI, on the average, of over 90. I would think that this should make it accurate enough for my purposes. But there are some problem areas, particularly with R9 on their chart, deep red, and R12, deep blue. Interesting. I am not sure this is a good thing. Since the color temperature spectrum goes from more predominantly blue to yellow to more predominantly red, the color lamp is perhaps not that accurate for photo use at the extremes.

I wonder how this will effect real world use of the lamp? I would think that the red and blue components of the spectrum of each temperature would be paramount to its accuracy for use by photographers. At each of its color temperatures, both the blue component and the red component have a CRI well below 90, closer to 70. Most of my use will be toward the blue end of the color temperature spectrum. I wonder where this places the visual accuracy of D65?

This does not make any sense. Why should such a lamp be constructed in this way? What do you think? Perhaps this lamp will only give me an idea of how the photo will change in differing color temperatures. But accurate inspection may only be possible using a different method. So that relegates this lamp to be used for educational purposes.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:33:35 am by r010159 »

r010159

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2015, 01:39:07 am »

does that look "reasonable" ?

Is this a graph of the frequency spectrum for the given light temperature of the lamp? I would not expect the frequency spectrum at a given temperature to be flat. As you move from red to yellow to bluish light temperatures, there is a dominant frequency of color. So there should be the appropriate "spike". But that significant dip and rebound after the "spike" appears to be a problem area.

I am probably thinking about this in the wrong way. :(

As a side note, I wonder if the difference between 5000K and D50 is the actual color spectrum for that temperature of light. While there can be different color spectrums for a 5000K light, D50 specifies one particular color spectrum map for that temperature of light? Interesting. So that makes 5000K represent a Correlated Color Temperature? Sorry guys!

Andrew? :)

Bob
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:22:50 am by r010159 »

AlterEgo

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2015, 02:03:09 am »

So there should be the appropriate "spike".
check solux and try find there such "spike" as you have here

Lundberg02

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2015, 02:27:36 am »

The Lavish 6500K 1399 lumen lamp I bought last month has a four tube bulb. I liked it a lot until the bulb failed today. I'll probably replace the bulb once and if it doesn't last I will try to return it.

r010159

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2015, 02:41:49 am »

check solux and try find there such "spike" as you have here

Thank you for pointing this out.

Perhaps "spike" is the wrong term. Perhaps there really should not be an actual spike. Perhaps a more subtle "peaking" at the color which represents the color temperature in question? I saw a frequency map of a Solux light during my search. There appeared to be a curve that ramped up and peaked through a smaller range of values and then fell back a bit. What do you think? Am I seeing things? LOL Daylight is not perfectly white. It tends toward the blue, correct?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:44:45 am by r010159 »

AlterEgo

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2015, 09:59:04 am »

What do you think?
I suggest this = http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100698.0 ( and this post with graphs = http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100698.msg830255#msg830255 from that topic )... Solux is not the ideal solution some people here will say, but its SPD looks better than the LED you are suggesting... however that might be OK for your purposes
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:01:56 am by AlterEgo »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »

And this is what the Ottlight spectra does to OBA distinctions in paper vs the Solux. The Ottlight is great for hiding OBA's in paper but at the sacrifice of color accuracy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up