Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Hands On Review  (Read 23740 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Hands On Review
« on: July 15, 2015, 12:41:29 pm »

Kevin,

Good review on the new Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS with some great sample photos.

As I mentioned to you yesterday I have had this lens since last Friday and have enjoyed the heck out it. Like you mentioned you get real crisp sharp images. Even though the A7M2 has the image stabilization feature I found I do best with Macro when mounted on a tripod and using focus peaking feature. Really looking forward to using it with the new A7RII being released next month which I do have on preorder. In my opinion that is going to be top mirrorless camera.

Stu

rosswarner@rosswarner.com

Re: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Hands On Review
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:28:34 pm »

Kevin, were you actually able to confirm that you were able to turn off OSS on the lens, but activate SteadyShot on the camera body? With the Sony 70-200 f4 lens, OSS and IBIS work together -- you cannot turn one on, and the other off.
The A7II PDF does not mention this, but the PDF for the upcoming A7RII says specifically, "When a lens with a SteadyShot switch is attached, the settings can be changed only by operating the switch on the lens. You cannot change the settings on the camera." (p. 65.) Also, with an OSS lens like the 24-70 on the A7II, if you turn off SteadyShot (IBIS) on the camera, the lens does not use OSS. If you turn on SteadyShot, the lens and IBIS work together (both are on).

Is this really different with the 90mm Macro lens??

-Ross
http://rosswarner.com

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:52:40 pm »

Kevin, were you actually able to confirm that you were able to turn off OSS on the lens, but activate SteadyShot on the camera body? With the Sony 70-200 f4 lens, OSS and IBIS work together -- you cannot turn one on, and the other off.
The A7II PDF does not mention this, but the PDF for the upcoming A7RII says specifically, "When a lens with a SteadyShot switch is attached, the settings can be changed only by operating the switch on the lens. You cannot change the settings on the camera." (p. 65.) Also, with an OSS lens like the 24-70 on the A7II, if you turn off SteadyShot (IBIS) on the camera, the lens does not use OSS. If you turn on SteadyShot, the lens and IBIS work together (both are on).

Is this really different with the 90mm Macro lens??

-Ross
http://rosswarner.com

Ross,

You maybe correct as I have the 90mm since last Friday and still learning the ins and out with the lens. I did notice the only way to turn it off was via the lens. When I do that the In camera steady feature does not work with the A7M2. Meaning I am unable to used the feature. So unless I am missing something here the 5 axis feature is not working when I turn off the switch on the lens. Maybe Kevin can explain out it works?

Stu

shuntakano

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:13:37 pm »

Thank you for the review of this lens.  I'm wondering if you've had the chance to try out the Zeiss Batis 85mm.  Since I do more macro shots than portraits, I purchased the FE 90mm, thinking it should do a decent job as a portrait lens.  Other than the fact that that Batis can go to f/1.8, is there something inherent about the design of a macro lens that won't quite work well as a lens designed as a portrait lens?

cengell

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:15:13 am »

Hello all, also you will notice with the Sony 90 Macro and the Sony A7MII in the AF-C mode at F/9-F/22 it will hunt in and out over and over, even with good light and contrast, I don't have an A7 series body's anymore so I don't know it could have the same issue in AF-C mode, but if you change to AF-S mode it works great at F/2.8-F/22 and not hunting!

I hope maybe Sony will have an FW to fix the AF-C mode at F/9-F/22 as I think it's bug?

Great lens and thing it's very costly but I am happy with it!

My images with the Sony 90 Macro, overcast light, handheld and image processing-just RAW to Jpeg.

Christopher

P.S when you turn off the OSS switch on the lens then OSS & IBIS is off on the A7MII.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:39:43 am by cengell »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:10 am »

We haven't tested the Batis lenses yet but expect to do so in the coming week.  The 90mm lens does a fine job for portraits.  85mm - 135mm is my favorite focal lengths for portraits.  The 90mm lens wide open delivers a great look. You won't be disappointed.  

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 12:22:16 am »

Regarding the OSS and IBIS question above.  I'll look into this and talk with a person I know will be able to answer this correctly.  I'll reply back here confirming one way or another.

I have also read that when the lens OSS is on the IBIS only works to compensate for what the lens doesn't compensate for.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 06:21:27 am »

The lens looks good but I have to question Sony's pricing strategy nearly £1000 for a macro lens? Certainly the build looks good, it's sealed and looks very nice optically. On the other hand one can acquire a newer Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro also sealed, not as nice build but optics are first class for almost a third of the cost. If you don't mind the older one (which isn't sealed but much smaller and lighter, again "tack sharp" just as sharp you can buy over 4 of these for the price of one Sony 90mm

It just doesn't make sense Sony's prices are quite outrageous on E mount

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 09:20:44 am »

Well, the price is similar to the likes of the Canon EF 100 f2.8 IS L, and the Nikon Micro 105 f2.8 VR.

Of course 3rd party lenses are often as good options, and cheaper.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 09:45:08 am »

Well, the price is similar to the likes of the Canon EF 100 f2.8 IS L, and the Nikon Micro 105 f2.8 VR.

In the Netherlands the Canon and Nikon are about 25% cheaper at the moment (and so is the A-mount Sony 100/2.8 Macro).
However street prices will probably converge after some time. I hope they get a lot closer soon ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 11:03:16 am »

In Europe the Canon and Nikon lenses sell for around £600
If I compare the A mount Zeiss 16-35mm F2.8 the cost is almost the same for the Zeiss 16-35mm F4 for E mount that alone is quite shocking with the 1 stop speed difference

peterottaway

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 10:23:25 pm »

Same old argument and same old suspects, usually. A recently introduced good quality lens is going to cost more for the first few years - just look at the prices of the recently introduced Nikon telephoto lenses. Even something as mass market as the 300mm f 4.0.If memory serves me correctly the Nikon Macro /Micro 105 mm lens was introduced in 2006 rather than 2015.

I won't bother commenting on the argument that somehow Sony lenses should cost no more than Tamron.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 08:17:26 am »

Same old argument and same old suspects, usually. A recently introduced good quality lens is going to cost more for the first few years - just look at the prices of the recently introduced Nikon telephoto lenses. Even something as mass market as the 300mm f 4.0.If memory serves me correctly the Nikon Macro /Micro 105 mm lens was introduced in 2006 rather than 2015.

I won't bother commenting on the argument that somehow Sony lenses should cost no more than Tamron.

Don't comment then ;-)
The comparison with an established third party lens maker is ultimately what happens when the meat hits the grinder ie optics and I'd be surprised if the Sony is optically better than the other lenses or the tamron. If you subscribe to "let's pay more for a brand name stamped on a product" that's great, it's just an example  of rip off OEM pricing. Yes it's a new lens but even so rather high on the price.

Maybe you'd comment on the 16-35mm price variance? Let's mix things up a bit why not directly compare it to the Canon 16-35mm F4 IS L? Quite a new lens and the price is vastly cheaper than the E Mount Sony lens which has been out for a while. Hard to really defend such pricing strategies isn't it?

Herbc

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 09:58:19 am »

I too have an 85 Batis on order.  My zeiss 100 mm will make a good comparison for the 90mm Sony.  I am interested in the Sony, but the test images  in your report seem a little muted, ie. low contrast and not snappy. Could be the lighting?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 11:21:17 am »

Trust me the images from the 90mm are excellent and snappy.  Yes, lighting could have something to with the feel but so can processing and I did not do anything in processing to alter the images.  Shots I did yesterday non-macro were amazingly crisp, nice contrast and sharp.

We just received the Batis lenses today and will start testing this weekend.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Herbc

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 04:17:29 pm »

Thanks.  my local guy has one in stock, I will check it out. 8)

GrahamB3

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 09:52:58 pm »

I'd appreciate user impressions on the Sony 90 macro vs the Tamron 90 macro. I'm not too interested in autofocus, just IQ (used as a macro lens).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 01:32:20 am »

Hi,

Thanks for posting the Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS review. I try to choose between the Batis and the 90/2.8G Macro.

LensRentals did run a short test on Sony 90/2.8G Macro, and it was amazingly good. Now DxO-mark has tested the 90/2.8. This gave me the opportunity to compare it to the probably best lens in that range, the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4.

The image below shows both lenses at f/4 which is probably best aperture for both.

Now, stopping the Otus down to f/5.6 essentially makes the curves overlap, as the Otus is a bit limited by diffraction. The Sony is still at f/4, so it is less limited by diffraction.

This says that the Otus is the better lens, but the Sony 90/2.8G is pretty close at optimal apertures.

For me it seems that the Sony 90/2.8G may be the best 85-90 mm option if f/1.4 - f/1.8 is not needed. I guess that I cancel my order for the Batis and buy the Sony 90/2.8G macro instead.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 03:44:32 am »

The lens looks good but I have to question Sony's pricing strategy nearly £1000 for a macro lens? Certainly the build looks good, it's sealed and looks very nice optically. On the other hand one can acquire a newer Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro also sealed, not as nice build but optics are first class for almost a third of the cost. If you don't mind the older one (which isn't sealed but much smaller and lighter, again "tack sharp" just as sharp you can buy over 4 of these for the price of one Sony 90mm

It just doesn't make sense Sony's prices are quite outrageous on E mount

Thankfully, you can buy much cheaper 90mm or 100mm macro lenses that can be mounted on the Sony A7's. Be it Tamron, Canon, Nikon, Sigma, whatever.

Nobody forces you to buy Sony.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 03:47:35 am »

For me it seems that the Sony 90/2.8G may be the best 85-90 mm option if f/1.4 - f/1.8 is not needed. I guess that I cancel my order for the Batis and buy the Sony 90/2.8G macro instead.

Best regards
Erik

This has been normally the case with 90mm or 100mm macro lenses. At f2.8, they make for excellent regular teles, and of course they shoot macro. In my Canon days, the 100 macro L had that role for me, now the 90 macro Sony will probably fill the same shoes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up