Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Hands On Review  (Read 23739 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Hands On Review
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »

Hi,

Yes macro lenses are quite good, when stopped down. But, what I am looking for is a lens that is fully usable at maximum aperture and very little axial chromatic aberration (magenta/green fringes in OOF areas).

I have seen just five older lenses to fill that criteria:

- The two Zeiss Otuses
- The Coastal Optics 60/4 macro
- The Voigtländer  Apo Lanthar 120
- The Zeiss 135/2 APO Planar

Now, I don't need f/1.4, f/2 is quite OK. I am pretty sure that Batis 85/1.8 would fill the bill. But, the 90/2.8 macro will also fill the bill, but it will focus close enough. So I canceled the Batis and ordered the Sony 90/2.8G

This has been normally the case with 90mm or 100mm macro lenses. At f2.8, they make for excellent regular teles, and of course they shoot macro. In my Canon days, the 100 macro L had that role for me, now the 90 macro Sony will probably fill the same shoes.

Erik Kaffehr

Keith Gall

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 01:43:27 pm »

I picked up my FE 90mm yesterday and am currently playing with it. So far, beautiful!

I had read Kevin's review months ago. Doing my initial testing I was perplexed that when I had the lens on the camera, the menu steady shot icon was greyed out (I have it in my Fn menu). I recalled reading his comment regarding OSS and the A7II's 5 Axis stabilization and re-read the review to confirm my understanding. Checking forum I didn't see any update from Kevin regarding his comment that he would follow up.

Taking a shot in the dark, I reached out to Brian Smith to ask how he thought it should work (yes that Brian Smith, Sony Artisan, award winning photographer and author of the Sony a7-Series: From Snapshots to Great Shots book).

I was specific that I was using an A7ii, not A7Rii, and the FE G 90mm Macro. I was quite surprised when he replied within an hour. FYI, here is his response:

"That setting is grayed out in the menu whenever you use a lens with the OSS switch in the lens because OSS is controlled by the switch - not the menu."

Thought I'd share,

Keith

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 01:47:24 am »

Hi,

I had my lens for two weeks. I have not used it a lot, but it is very sharp on a test chart, out resolves the A7rII sensor easily at full aperture. Real world images also look very good, much sharper than my 70-400/4-5.6G at 100 mm.

Here is a test chart shot:

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Sony_A7rII/P45vsA7rII/20150828-DSC00144.jpg

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Sony_A7rII/P45vsA7rII/20150828-DSC00144.dng

I am on travel right now and I am band width limited, but I will publish some more images end of september.

Best regards
Erik

I picked up my FE 90mm yesterday and am currently playing with it. So far, beautiful!

I had read Kevin's review months ago. Doing my initial testing I was perplexed that when I had the lens on the camera, the menu steady shot icon was greyed out (I have it in my Fn menu). I recalled reading his comment regarding OSS and the A7II's 5 Axis stabilization and re-read the review to confirm my understanding. Checking forum I didn't see any update from Kevin regarding his comment that he would follow up.

Taking a shot in the dark, I reached out to Brian Smith to ask how he thought it should work (yes that Brian Smith, Sony Artisan, award winning photographer and author of the Sony a7-Series: From Snapshots to Great Shots book).

I was specific that I was using an A7ii, not A7Rii, and the FE G 90mm Macro. I was quite surprised when he replied within an hour. FYI, here is his response:

"That setting is grayed out in the menu whenever you use a lens with the OSS switch in the lens because OSS is controlled by the switch - not the menu."

Thought I'd share,

Keith
Erik Kaffehr

rosswarner@rosswarner.com

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 08:45:00 am »

Really no need to ask Brian about this. It's in the A7RII Help Guide, page 160:

"If a lens equipped with a SteadyShot switch is attached, the settings can only
be changed using that switch on the lens. You cannot switch the settings using
the camera."

Keith Gall

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 12:53:58 pm »

Yes, I did see the earlier reference to the A7RII Help Guide, page 160.

As Kevin's review was based on using the lens on a A7II (not A7RII), I was wondering about how it was actually "supposed" to work with the A7II, the camera I'm using. There are a few differences between 7II and 7RII and no mention of the OSS switch functionality in the A7II manual. That is why I was seeking more information.

All is good. I think we've put this question to rest  :)

StephenOzcomert

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 03:12:30 pm »

Hi,

Yes macro lenses are quite good, when stopped down. But, what I am looking for is a lens that is fully usable at maximum aperture and very little axial chromatic aberration (magenta/green fringes in OOF areas).

I have seen just five older lenses to fill that criteria:

- The two Zeiss Otuses
- The Coastal Optics 60/4 macro
- The Voigtländer  Apo Lanthar 120
- The Zeiss 135/2 APO Planar

Now, I don't need f/1.4, f/2 is quite OK. I am pretty sure that Batis 85/1.8 would fill the bill. But, the 90/2.8 macro will also fill the bill, but it will focus close enough. So I canceled the Batis and ordered the Sony 90/2.8G

Has anyone compared the new Sony to the Zeiss MP 100 or the Voigtlander APO 125?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up