Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Personal Works  (Read 210097 times)

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
Re: Recent Format Agnostic Personal Works
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2016, 09:50:13 pm »

Around the house. Sony A7R2 + 40mm Canon

Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2016, 11:41:11 am »

Okay, been spending some time snapping at friendly non-models:

http://www.roma57.com/interrelate.html

It's a brief series: can't post a pìcture or it makes no sense.

Passes the time, and makes the ancient D200 seem less a waste of money.

Rob C

Wonderful to see you working again, Rob. And the product is wonderful. Hope you'll keep it up.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2016, 03:06:35 pm »

Wonderful to see you working again, Rob. And the product is wonderful. Hope you'll keep it up.

Wonderful  :)

Rob C

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »

Thank you for the kind comments, people, it's good to be able to play around with younger (much!) people a little bit, if only because it brings back personal memories of life at that sort of age.

I suppose that it's never easy for a person who's only known one for around an hour to loosen up, especially when that person isn't from the same sort of 'industrial' ethic or background - not that the industry of photography is much of an industry, so to speak, but you probably know what I mean. I think she did rather well considering it's her very first experience, and she's a professional in an entirely different field.

Perhaps I have only once found a girl who was 'right' for me literally from the very first roll of Rolleiflex film shot with her. And thank God for that chance model test session. Truth to tell, it went on to be the making of both of us in our careers, even though hers ended prematurely (from my point of view!) through her marriage and consequent motherhood. And why did it work? If I may refer to Slobodan's thread about child prodigies, elsewhere in LuLa, I put it down to enthusiasm born not of pressure but from desire. She had no financial needs whatsoever; it was the whole thing about fashion and the creativity it can offer people. We did lots of non-payment stuff together on top of the assignments, and that's probably where we taught each other all we ended up using for real. And the wonderful thing you develop with one another is a silent shorthand - intuition, and the joy of not wasting time in blind alleys.

Of course, we were both avid readers of the business literature: Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Nova, and all of those great productions; many greetings didn't reach "Hi!" but were instantly into "did your Vogue arrive yet?". It never happened again for me with anyone else. Looking back at those days, most of the people I respected were the same: Bailey/Shrimpton; Parks/wife/Celia Hammond; John Cowan/Jill Kennington; Terence Donovan/Celia Hammond too, and so on. Why? Rapport. You can't buy it, and hiring it isn't guaranteed either. Those same players could, and often did interchange, but it never meant similar photographs. Thing is, given experienced players, and ones that respect each other, things have a way of working pretty well. I believe that with all my heart and I write as much in my website:

"Most of it was fun, all of it hard work, but I'd happily do it again.

With a proviso: that a new client understands that whilst the abilities of the people on both sides of the camera are crucial, the fact remains that it's the person in front of that machine who ultimately makes or breaks an entire shoot. If you don't see that, and all you really need is a button pusher, you might as well do the job yourself.

Sounds fairly obvious, but you'd be surprised how easily that can be subverted, if you let it.

The right to create the list of models invited to a casting has to be the photographer's.
Clearly, the client is entitled to final choice from that selection of candidates."

No idea how that mantra might fly today, but it was how it generally panned out in my own case. Great times.

Sorry for the diversion, but hey, life's like that!

Rob C

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2016, 05:44:29 pm »

Hi Rob, wonderful project. It's easy to tell you have an affinity with the model. Bring us some more.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:26 pm »

Very wise words, Rob.

For instance: "Rapport. You can't buy it, and hiring it isn't guaranteed either."

In so many photos of people these days it looks as if the photographer thinks of the subject(s) as object(s) rather than as human beings. even your coke bottle portraits show more humanity, and rapport, than much that I see.

Your present comments are a good start on the essay that Russ has asked for. I would love to see you expand this to several pages and have LuLa publish it.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kaypee

« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2016, 08:05:17 am »

Nice work. is there much difference between the two cameras?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2016, 08:43:08 am »

Hi,

This was shot yesterday:

The image is stacked from three shots.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2016, 01:59:04 pm »

Hi Rob, wonderful project. It's easy to tell you have an affinity with the model. Bring us some more.

Thanks, John. Yes, the intention is to shoot much more, but it depends on factors such as her working life, and weather, if outdoors stuff. The only factor wide open is myself, just as long as nobody expects anything to happen before lunchtime!

The format - imaginary magazine/book - lets me simply add pictures as they might come. Just another way of presenting a little gallery, really, but allowing the marriage of images and copy which I quote enjoy do¡ng. For better of for worse. Which reminds me of St Ansel who reputedly, on the matter of heasdstones, said he'd like: "Here lies Ansel Adams, for bettor or for worse, but he's gone, for good." I might be misattributing that one.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2016, 02:09:45 pm »

Very wise words, Rob.

For instance: "Rapport. You can't buy it, and hiring it isn't guaranteed either."

In so many photos of people these days it looks as if the photographer thinks of the subject(s) as object(s) rather than as human beings. even your coke bottle portraits show more humanity, and rapport, than much that I see.

Your present comments are a good start on the essay that Russ has asked for. I would love to see you expand this to several pages and have LuLa publish it.

-Eric

You certainly have a point with the idea of subject as object: never more so than in contemporary fashion magazine covers. There's so much PSing going down that the personality is lost. There always was retouching, as everybody knows, but usually they let the model's personality shine through. I wonder if Jean Shrimpton would have become the person she became (as model) had she been tweaked into the ubiquitous blank, plastic face of today... ditto Twiggy and all the famous people before her such as Suzy Parker, Dovima etc. etc. Why in hell remove the very reason that you hire these people - their individuality?

I think the answer has to be: because it's there (PS), and folks can't resist using it and playing God.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:10:27 pm by Rob C »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2016, 02:58:20 pm »

I think the answer has to be: because it's there (PS), and folks can't resist using it and playing God.
Well, if they're playing God they are doing a bad job. When I look around on the street there's plenty of evidence that He has good taste, which these PS artists lack.
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2016, 03:18:21 pm »

Well, if they're playing God they are doing a bad job. When I look around on the street there's plenty of evidence that He has good taste, which these PS artists lack.

More proof that Satan exists ;)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2016, 04:21:40 pm »

+1

I lost track if such responses are allowed, preferred or forbidden here these days, but you know what I mean  :-\
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2016, 04:32:34 pm »

Well, Slobodan (smiley noted), I'm not sure about that since I don't accept that belief in the existence of God necessitates belief in the existence of Satan.

Of the former power, I am more sure every day. As I look backwards I see things happen totally outwith my ability or intention of making them happen; I see sequences of events leading to situations that have been amazing and long-lasting in their effects.

I feel I've been exceptionally lucky, far beyond my abilities and certainly beyond any sense of personal worthiness of good fortune. It's as if there is a plan, long-established, a script you might say, the final part of which only makes sense then, in the final chapter. But if there really be an end, post this life, then the present no longer makes sense anymore. It's not in the nature of things for so much effort to be expended over nothing; only man does daft things like that.

I think that the concept of 'free will' does more than enough to allow for the behavior that might indicate the existence of a devil; the granting of such a will provides the power for the evil some do: only the imbalance of, or perhaps predisposition of the individual makes the evil happen. There's no need for external catalyst: the ability is already there in the powers of the human brain - it's what the person chooses to do that makes it happen or not. Destruction is easy and simple; doing good takes time and usually some form of external co-operation. That's probably why there is less of it than the other.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2016, 05:54:32 pm »

For Rob (who often likes to insert commentary via YouTube music himself)

https://youtu.be/mQjPOrhRZro

My apologies in advance if the clip is not playable in certain countries (or if there as an ad preceding it)

By the way, the above is, in my humble opinion, one of the best musical intros to a TV series ever (Boss, with Kelsey Grammer as Chicago mayor).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:03:36 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

BobDavid

« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2016, 01:55:17 am »

Noon and Midnight

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2016, 02:54:49 am »

Hi,

Just a pair of shots from where I live:

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2016, 05:18:18 am »

Playing around with a headshot of a young lawyer I met recently.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:30:59 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2016, 11:33:37 am »

Aha, Keith: the new Leica 6x6 at last!

;-)

Rob

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:58 pm »

Leica M240, Zeiss 50mm C-Sonnar ZM, 1/4000 sec F1.5.

Keith, amazing photo. Kind of creepy, like voodoo or something..
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up