Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Personal Works  (Read 210035 times)

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
Re: Recent Format Agnostic Personal Works
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2016, 02:02:01 pm »

Antonio, many thanks.

And yes, I have several in the series that are equally disturbing, so much so that I'm in two minds as to whether I should put them up on my website.

Well Keith if it is a meaningful body of work I don't see why not. Show us more.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2016, 03:38:28 pm »

Well Keith if it is a meaningful body of work I don't see why not. Show us more.
Yes. Please do.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2016, 12:05:35 pm »

I don't see it as the stuff of nightmares, Keith, but I do see it as a very intriguing theme - if you can dig up (no pun etc.) more material like that to flesh it out. Makes me think you went to Haiti... ;-)

Also put me in mind (this second shot) of the famous urinal; however, I guess the guy's facing the wrong way, body-wise, but if a spin can be done in The Exorcist...

Rob

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2016, 01:29:31 pm »

Interesting content here lately!
Rob, great 'magazine', and the though provoking text.
Kieth, I'm not sure if your posts were timed intentionally, but these intriguing photos really have an anti-valentine's day message for me. In a good way though.

Rob C

« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2016, 04:50:43 pm »

Marko -

Thanks for the kind comment; it's being a lot of fun and I hope to expand on it, as time goes by (I feel a song coming on there, but I'll resist), and be sure my ego will make me let the world know if and when!

Keith -

Have you given a thought to the Cape Verde islands? Dr Google has some interesting images of the place, but it's a bit far away these days - well, exactly as far away as ever unless these mini-micro-space tremors folks are getting uptight about have changed anything, but regardless, I've changes a teensy weensy bit, unfortuntely. And that sunshine... not my old best friend anymore.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:39:50 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2016, 06:34:44 am »

Alternative messages.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2016, 04:27:04 am »

Anon. in the city.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2016, 10:59:39 am »

Rob,

Here are some of the things that strike me about all of your recent photos:

They are all so spontaneous: "I saw this, and I felt like capturing it. And I don't give a hoot whether anybody else likes it or is willing to pay money for it. It's just for me."

And yet, your eye is so good that they capture moments of magic, without ever seeming forced.

Many are downright whimsical. I'm thinking of your "Blue Patch" in the Abstracts thread, which made me chuckle the instant I saw it.

Hmmm. Maybe through your recent photos you are actually "teaching creativity," at least to those who are receptive. One lesson might be "Don't let your mind get in the way of your photography!"

Cheers,

Eric

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2016, 11:29:03 am »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2016, 12:30:03 pm »

Hi Slobodan,

Nice image!

Erik

First Baptist Church - Dallas, TX[/url] by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr
Erik Kaffehr

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2016, 12:39:36 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2016, 03:20:32 pm »

Rob,

Here are some of the things that strike me about all of your recent photos:

They are all so spontaneous: "I saw this, and I felt like capturing it. And I don't give a hoot whether anybody else likes it or is willing to pay money for it. It's just for me."

And yet, your eye is so good that they capture moments of magic, without ever seeming forced.

Many are downright whimsical. I'm thinking of your "Blue Patch" in the Abstracts thread, which made me chuckle the instant I saw it.

Hmmm. Maybe through your recent photos you are actually "teaching creativity," at least to those who are receptive. One lesson might be "Don't let your mind get in the way of your photography!"

Cheers,

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the kind comments; thing is, it was pretty much ever so with me: I wasn't really into the long, considered look at anything - in fact, I used to get scared of freezing up, which was one reason I detested the few times an art director or client wanted to be present. By the time they put in their 200% I was lost, feeling absolutely nothing beyond just the ability to press the button for them.

I remember my one muse saying to me in the car one day, after driving about an hour or so looking for something to stir me as a location: "you always wait until the last moment, Rob, don't you?" And so yeah, it's the same thing with my rather ersatz version of street: if I see it I grab it before it goes away, as well it might. In the end, even after a lifetime with something, even someone, you end up alone. Images are the most transient entities of all.

Perhaps that's a reason why I don't believe in the teaching of matters of the soul - art, I suppose, for want of a more appropriate word. It keeps coming back to this: you see it or you do not; you can look all day long and if you can't, you won't. And even when you can you often don't. Like Sarah Moon and others have said: it's a present from somewhere; you don't make it, the photograph, it comes to you. You are just a medium.

Believe me, I've had days when I've gone out with the camera, determined to catch something - anything - and I don't take a single shot. How can that be, if I'm supposed to be in control of it? I suppose the thing about it, wearing the professional hat, is that at the very worst, you have pure technique to take you through and over so that you can deliver. Also, wearing that hat, there is purpose. (I won't quote Terrance Donovan again!) Purpose makes up for a multitude of emotional failures, or even nothing worse than just low-wattage days.

But hey, for me it's always better than just looking at the wall, even if it has some of my own stuff hangin' on for dear life up there!

;-)

Rob

P.S.
Was going to say: Garry Winogrand mightn't have gone nuts at all at the end, with his supposedly thousands of undeveloped cassettes: maybe you come to realize that it's the shooting that's the deal, getting that gift given to you. You know how it's going to look after some time; even with PS making that ever more a matter of chance, the spur of the processing moment direction you decide to take. And know you can alter at any time. Aaah, virginal Kodachrome!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:30:21 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2016, 10:48:14 am »

More new, ancient D200 stuff:

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2016, 09:43:23 am »

A little more massaged D200:

Rob C

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2016, 09:48:27 am »

Which lenses do you use with the D200, Rob?
Instagram (updated often)

Rob C

« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2016, 11:59:34 am »

Which lenses do you use with the D200, Rob?

HI,

I've got 2.8/24; 2/35; 1.8/50 (manual) and 1.8/50 G (af); 2.8/105 Micro; 2.8/135; 2.8/180 (af); 8/500 reflex.

They are all manual bar the two mentioned: the new 1.8G and the 2.8/180. They are all Nikkors. And because of daft, photo-stock-inspired system changes when I was working, I've bought them all several times over. The only ones I never re-bought were the 200mm and a 4.5/300mm IFED.

I have used them all on the D200; the headshot is a crop from the af 1.8/50 G - an af - which works out at about an effective 75mm on the D200. But it's far too short for heads - I wouldn't be happy with anything shorter than 135 on FF if I was doing it for real again. (an 85mm on the D700... ;-) NO!) Much of my photographic problem recently has been vision: had it remained good, I wouldn't have bought the 50mm G. As it is, I override af much of the time anyway, again risking OOF and self-defeats!

All the lenses are designed for FF.

I would perhaps use the D700 a bit more if I had an 85mm lens, but am reluctant to buy anything else these days. As it's all for my personal enjoyment, the website sizes are all I seek, so the old D200 does that quite happily.

Rob

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »

I have to say, I really dig the 75mm equivalent mostly because I tend to shoot always a bit wider (one of the reasons why my "normal" lens is a 28mm).
I started with a 50mm 1.8 Series E, which had to be a stellar copy since it was tack sharp at any aperture. I had to sell it because I needed some quick money, but the 50mm 1.4 AF-D I have now is not bad at all. When you get in the sweet spot, everything is like butter. I need to use the 28mm 3.5 AI more as well.

I have a D7000 as well, but I still prefer shooting with the more ancient camera because of the way it renders warm tones. Maybe one day I'll get down and make a few custom profiles for both.

D200 + 50mm 1.4 AF-D @ 1.4

Rob C

« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2016, 02:35:03 pm »

That's a very nice picture - I also like the sort of colour one can get from the old camera, but do appreciate that it's largely up to the way we process stuff. I'm fond of shallow DOF, but none of my lenses is that shallow wide open - well, at distances I'm likely to be working at.

Rob

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2016, 02:52:12 pm »

After green and red, here's some blue.
A fleeting moment, captured from the comfort of my home. Same setup (6 shot stitch at 5.6).

I've been having a lot of fun with my new phone as well. Yesterday night was very clear and I tried some astrophotography with it.
All shot and processed on the phone. I work with a 3D printer, so I just printed myself a tripod holder for it. No way I can hold a phone steady for 4 seconds (which is the hardware limit of the camera)!

28mm equivalent, f/2.2 4sec ISO64 - Processed in Photoshop Express for Windows Phone

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2016, 11:05:30 am »

Shot as "month's theme"  at the camera club…

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up