Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Personal Works  (Read 210046 times)

AFairley

Re: Recent Format Agnostic Personal Works
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2016, 04:53:35 pm »

With a nod to Keith's opening shot  ;)

Richowens

« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2016, 02:05:16 am »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:27 pm »

Hi,

Experimenting with tilt on the A7rII using a Contax 35-135/3.3-4.5 I bought on E-bay. Very nice lens!

This lens was bought as a travel lens for using tilts on my HCam Master TS II. It was chosen because I needed a manual aperture and the MTF curves published by Zeiss are very nice in the long end. Just to say, the 28-85/3.3-4 version may have been an even better choice.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

BobDavid

« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2016, 01:25:31 am »

Borrow money to pay interest on air.

Rob C

« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2016, 09:31:36 am »

Had a little trip down memory lane yesterday, having decided to have a bash at recreating the 60s/70s ethic of shooting people with wides, something I don't think I'd really espouse anymore; it was quite fashionable to introduce a bit of distortion at the top and bottom of the vertical frames, back then, with elongated heads and feet being, I suppose the main idea. No, can't tell you why, other than it reflected the sheep philosophy prevalent even in those distant days...

All one can add is that it's easier to dodge faces, in an exactly repeatable manner with a computer, rather than it used to be in the wet when making sets of fifty or more 8" x 10" prints for PR.

However, girls still seem to fnd it difficult to keep their eyes open wide, even with the sun pretty much behind 'em. Some things don't change much.

Oh yeah, there is something to add: my body can't do the same as it used to be able to do: for the technique to work reasonably well you really need to keep the camera level no higher than the middle of the subject, splitting the distortion equally... without a "director's" chair, it's just not possible for me to hack these levels anymore. We often used to drop lower, with the lens about level with the hem of the skits - made legs longer - you just tried to avoid showing the back of the skirt hanging lower than the front. Never imagined I'd stiffen up in this manner. I should have known: cutting my toenails is difficult enough, and that's done sitting down!

Ain't life a gas?

Rob C

Image deleted.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:39:08 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2016, 09:35:36 am »

Hi Keith,

Have you developed a sudden death wish?

Fifty years ago I would probably have thought I might do that too... today I won't do it even with any of the many of them here in Spain.

Braver man than I, Gunga Din!

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2016, 09:30:28 am »

Thanks, Keith. Memory Lane is a not-so-distant cousin to Penny.

This one's with the 180mm, and about forty-five minutes later I manged to rip the plastic undertray from beneath the engine as I drove us back out of the finca. It happened at a cattle-grid at the gates of the property - didn't notice the upright gate stopper... anyway, left the car at Ford's Saturday morning, and today, after some frantic 'phone calls, they got it fixed: no engine damage, and the tray could be repaired with some handiwork... less than a hundred euros the lot! I expected much worse. But I would, wouldn't I?

;-)

Rob

Image deleted.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:39:47 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:13 am »

Hi Rob,

I've probably said it before, but I feel safer in Morocco than I would in Glasgow or Magaluf.

Wait untl you hit my age: you won't feel safe anywhere, not even in your own bed!

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2016, 09:45:04 am »

Rob, you've certainly captured that 60s/70s look using wides when shooting people.

My own shoot in Morocco saw me using a 21mm almost exclusively, but for reasons that had more to do with available space than look.

Keith -

Well, being firmly of the era, it would be difficult for me to be doing anything else! Old dogs, new tricks...

JeanLoup Sieff used a 21mm on an M4 very, very often shooting fashion, and to fantastic effect, too! That's the only focal length of Leica (on M3) that I know anything about: my final employer used it for room sets up at the BBC's Glasgow studios. I don't remember if it was a Leitz or a Schneider SuperAngulon, though, but I can assure any sceptics that printing negs from it was different: they did have a look peculiar to Leica, same films and processing as everything else on 135 format. The F Nikon had nothing could compete, according to the boss, who owned both systems.

I realise that a rangefinder would be a great advantage for my 'blur' series: I could still see where I was panning etc. instead of just looking into the depths of a black hole for the better parts of a second!

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »

Rob, I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but could it be your new muse has a passing resemblance to Ann?

Now that set me back! Not any problem with the idea, so don't worry on that score; it's just that I never thought about it before. The hair is certainly similar - she wore hers very long too, as a young woman, and used to get miffed when I would coax her not to cut it as she grew older. She would never visit hairdressers - hated the experience. The partings are worn exacty the same way. The jawlines are fairly similar too - not weak. I think Ann had better teeth, not that this one's are bad.

But that's about it: this girl is as tall as I am, Ann was about 5'4" on a good day! But one other thing is common to them both: I never felt the least ill at ease meeting either the first time. Mentally, however, they are chalk and cheese.

Funny thing: the bank lady I once mentioned to you is the adult double of my one and only real model muse, who was, I think, seventeen when she entered my photographic life... how much I took for granted in those years. Nothing replaces a girl with the right mindset, doesn't need spoon-feeding...  find that need cripples me creatively: it just has to be give 'n' take and mostly just adapting what's offered, assuming anything's offered in the first place. I can't keep up being both sides of the photo act for very long; it saps my interest and I want to go home.

I gotta think this one through!

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2016, 03:04:09 pm »

Nothing replaces a girl with the right mindset, doesn't need spoon-feeding...  find that need cripples me creatively: it just has to be give 'n' take and mostly just adapting what's offered, assuming anything's offered in the first place. I can't keep up being both sides of the photo act for very long; it saps my interest and I want to go home.

I gotta think this one through!

Rob
Rob, that attitude helps explain (to me anyway) why your portraits and your recent abstract snaps all feel so honest and genuine.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2016, 04:08:34 am »

Rob, that attitude helps explain (to me anyway) why your portraits and your recent abstract snaps all feel so honest and genuine.

The abstracts are delightful to shoot because they come by themselves, and are completely instinctive, in the sense that I try to keep an open door for them to walk right in, and quite often that's just what they seem to want to do! I also enjoy the light tension of wondering just how they will eventuall pan out once they find themselves inside that programme. Poor sods.

With people, it's a different story. Unless I'm lucky, I find it similar to drawing teeth, not that I've ever been a dentist to know, but there is currently little sense of enthusiasm inside me, more a sense of determination to see if it still works, knowing, the while, that I can't do it on my own, that I need the absolute co-operation of the person in front of me, and that when that person has no idea of how to give that, despite an almost deperate desire so to do, it becomes a grim task indeed. And I only have myself to blame for making the situation arise. How wonderful it was to be with people who could give so much so easily, and with the same vested interest in making the thing work.

I've said it before, but it's obvious from the many almost permanent model/snapper relationships that once flourished, that for great stuff to happen you need to share the personal shorthand. It saves time, wasted effort and concentrates the effort on what's going to work and get better. Then, one day, the fire goes out; it's done.

Rob

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2016, 04:34:11 am »

From an ongoing series on fabric and bodies. For those interested, Canon 5dII and 85mm 1.2 (virtually the only lens I use).

Rob C

« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2016, 05:25:57 am »

From an ongoing series on fabric and bodies. For those interested, Canon 5dII and 85mm 1.2 (virtually the only lens I use).

Beautiful stuff!

As ever - simplicity is king.

Rob C

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2016, 06:15:06 am »

Rob C

Thank you - I could not agree more!

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2016, 08:07:38 am »

Beautiful stuff!

Rob C
+1.

Rob C

« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2016, 03:18:48 pm »

Nice to be inside.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2016, 03:25:03 pm »

Nice one, Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2016, 04:10:15 pm »

Thanks, Slobodan; needed some weather to cheer me up!

;-)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2016, 08:08:39 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up