Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2015.1 / 6.1 / Lightroom mobile iOS 1.5 Released  (Read 32204 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Lightroom CC 2015.1 / 6.1 / Lightroom mobile iOS 1.5 Released
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 03:28:08 pm »

"The Dehaze technology is based on a physical model of how light is transmitted, and it tries to estimate light that is lost due to absorption and scattering through the atmosphere"

LOL...that's exactly what Eric said it did...but it's a bit deeper than that. This is what Simon Chen added:

Conceptually, Dehaze estimates two quantities from the original photo
1 a constant haze color (AKA the airlight color
2 a light transmission map which acts as a per-pixel blending parameter between the true image (without haze, not observed) and the estimated haze color that leads to the observed image (with haze).

With these estimates, one can run the process of removing haze and adding haze.

What does this mean? I have no friggin clue :~)

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 10:30:59 am »

I’m sorry to post this question again, but does anyone here know if one can download Lightroom 6.1 directly; that is, not via Lightroom’s Application Manager (Help/Updates)? I’m really at my wit’s end. The Application Manager consistently claims my version of Lightroom (V 6.0/standalone) is up-to-date! I’ve sought help from Adobe and several suggestions were made including installing a ‘Patch Installer’ app which fails every time. Its ‘error log’ reads:

Lightroom CC/6 update – June 2015
Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M2P2

Another Adobe agent with whom I chatted suggested deleting the Adobe Extension Manager, emptying the trash, re-booting, and reinstalling the Extension Manager which I downloaded from a link he sent me. Same result...nothing! What I find so strange is that Lightroom’s Application Manager quickly found and installed the ACR 9.1 (CS6) update. Why problems only with Lightroom? It gets even better. Though my main workstation is a Mac Pro (2009), I also have Lightroom 6.0 and Photoshop CS6 installed on a MacBook Pro, and here the problems are identical. Photoshop updates perfectly but Lightroom insists I already have the latest version.

I know there are some very savvy LR experts on this forum. I really would appreciate any help I can get on this. Even if the update for the standalone version is crippled, the bug corrections are certainly worth having (not to mention the support for new cameras and lenses). Thank you in advance for whatever help you may offer!

Larry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 11:07:50 am »

Have you tried going to Adobe's Lightroom page and clicking the big blue Download button?

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 01:17:22 pm »

John, thank you for responding! When I click on your link I can't find any "big blue Download button". I do find, however, quite a few big blue "Buy Now" buttons! Adobe offers a trial version, but I'm afraid it's a CC version and probably can't be converted to a perpetual license version. Is it really not possible to directly download LR 6.1 like it used to be in the 'good old days'? Thanks anyway for the link!

Larry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:47 pm »

Larry,

Try not to think of separate versions. There is no "CC Version" or "perpetual license version". It's one program that behaves one way and with 6.1 branding if you install it and enter a serial number, and another way with CC branding if it's authorised by subscription.

It looks to me like Adobe's site displays Buy Now buttons if you're not signed into Adobe.com in your browser. I was logged in, and I see Buy Now very briefly before it changes to Download. Aren't they making it tough?

So, if you click the search box on that page and search for Lightroom, do you see "Download free trial" as a link?

John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 02:19:53 pm »

Try not to think of separate versions. There is no "CC Version" or "perpetual license version". It's one program that behaves one way and with 6.1 branding if you install it and enter a serial number, and another way with CC branding if it's authorised by subscription.
Not any more. Have you not read the other threads here ?
LR 6.1 has different features to LR CC. The latest perpetual version 6.1 denies some features of CC from purchasers, notably dehaze and black ad white sliders in local adjustments.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2015, 02:41:58 pm »

Not any more. Have you not read the other threads here ?
LR 6.1 has different features to LR CC. The latest perpetual version 6.1 denies some features of CC from purchasers, notably dehaze and black ad white sliders in local adjustments.

Yes, I have read it and I'm well aware of the situation. Re-read what I wrote - I used the word "behave" - and it's one lump of code that behaves slightly differently depending on how it's licensed. There are not separate versions and it's not helpful for Larry to imagine that there are.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:06 pm »

...... productized.....?.

Good one; I'm all for workmanlike vocabulary - got it.

One thing I don't get though, and perhaps you or others could help: When I installed Lightroom CC in April, it picked up everything I had in LR 5.x including the plugins very nicely. And LR5 still sits there, though I doubt I'll every go back to it. I took advantage of the upgrade to CC to also consolidate three previous catalogs into one master that holds everything from the past five years - very practical thing to do. Today I got the CC Update notice from Adobe offering LR CC Updated (I guess meaning 6.01). If I click that Update button, what happens? Will it keep everything I now have in April's CC version (catalog, plugins, prefs, you name it) whiling giving me the new stuff, or will it erase a bunch of previous structure and require that I repopulate the plugins, reset the prefs, (I assume it would leave the catalog intact?)?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2015, 03:27:59 pm »

...it's one lump of code that behaves slightly differently depending on how it's licensed...

You are of course right about it being the same code that configures itself differently depending on the licence applied.  Which leads me to think that if someone downloads the free trial today they presumably will get to use all of the LR CC functionality, including dehaze, for the duration of the trial.  If they then decide they want a perpetual licence, when they apply the licence code the “enhanced” features of the CC code will presumably be disabled, so the dehaze and local Whites/Blacks adjustment sliders will no longer be accessible in the product.  That is likely to cause some confusion to people not familiar with the CC/Perpetual differences.

Which leads me to another thought, as LR CC and LR 6.1 are the same executable, I guess the “ACR engine” can process the dehaze commands whether the slider is present or not.  So a perpetual licence user could perhaps run the CC trial and create some presets for dehaze (say, 0, + 5, +10 etc) and save them, then import those presets into a perpetual licenced version and have access to the dehaze functionality.  Haven’t tried it as I’m a happy CC user, but it might work.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2015, 03:38:47 pm »

Which leads me to think that if someone downloads the free trial today they presumably will get to use all of the LR CC functionality, including dehaze, for the duration of the trial.  If they then decide they want a perpetual licence, when they apply the licence code the “enhanced” features of the CC code will presumably be disabled, so the dehaze and local Whites/Blacks adjustment sliders will no longer be accessible in the product.  That is likely to cause some confusion to people not familiar with the CC/Perpetual differences.

Correct. The CC-only sliders will be disabled, but the perpetual licenced software will understand the new adjustments whether they had been made with the sliders or via presets (which you can write in Notepad or TextEdit). I've already seen a few presets for dehaze and doubt Adobe are particularly worried about their existence.

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2015, 03:59:18 pm »

Correct. The CC-only sliders will be disabled, but the perpetual licenced software will understand the new adjustments whether they had been made with the sliders or via presets (which you can write in Notepad or TextEdit). I've already seen a few presets for dehaze and doubt Adobe are particularly worried about their existence.

I too doubt that Adobe are losing any sleep over them.  The fact that the preset files are plain text would mean you don't even have to run a copy of the CC version to create them providing you know the internal format that's required, and I suspect a bit of light googling would reveal that.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2015, 04:08:09 pm »

Yes, I have read it and I'm well aware of the situation. Re-read what I wrote - I used the word "behave" - and it's one lump of code that behaves slightly differently depending on how it's licensed. There are not separate versions and it's not helpful for Larry to imagine that there are.
Come on, be honest. CC now has extra functions beyond the cloud sync stuff, so CC has a greater feature set than LR6.1 CC is now Lightroom Plus(ultimate/extra/ghia/whatever the marketing people would think appropriate).

Adobe have made it abundantly clear through their actions that the perpetual licence version is a less well specified version. Let's just be honest about that policy from now on. They ARE different.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2015, 04:43:38 pm »

Which leads me to another thought, as LR CC and LR 6.1 are the same executable, I guess the “ACR engine” can process the dehaze commands whether the slider is present or not.  So a perpetual licence user could perhaps run the CC trial and create some presets for dehaze (say, 0, + 5, +10 etc) and save them, then import those presets into a perpetual licenced version and have access to the dehaze functionality.  Haven’t tried it as I’m a happy CC user, but it might work.

Hi Dan,

Since you brought it up here, apparently that does work ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AlterEgo

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2015, 05:04:39 pm »

certainly... moreover - Adobe's DNG Converter for example has the fully functional ACR/LR raw conversion engine inside (because as you know it has to be able to recreate embedded JPG thumbnails according to the raw conversion settings done in full ACR/LR) - so it is naturally driven by parametric parameters stored for example in .XMP files... so one can just play with that data

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2015, 05:17:32 pm »

Come on, be honest. CC now has extra functions beyond the cloud sync stuff, so CC has a greater feature set than LR6.1 CC is now Lightroom Plus(ultimate/extra/ghia/whatever the marketing people would think appropriate).

Adobe have made it abundantly clear through their actions that the perpetual licence version is a less well specified version. Let's just be honest about that policy from now on. They ARE different.

Sorry, but I can't be bothered arguing about the meaning of the word "version" in other contexts. I was helping Larry who was "afraid [the downloaded software]'s a CC version and probably can't be converted to a perpetual license version", and he shouldn't be. In that context, there are no separate versions, just one program that exposes different features depending on the chosen licence method. Technically you know that's absolutely correct, don't you? And yes, the v word is flexible enough to be used as you do, and in that sense no-one would deny the existence of "versions". Hold the front page....

jnewell

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2015, 08:45:12 pm »

Have you tried going to Adobe's Lightroom page and clicking the big blue Download button?

I may be a cretin, but I can't get that blue button to give me anything other than an option to purchase a CC plan.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:11 pm »

Actually, if you scroll down a bit, a new header shows up that offers a Download.

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2015, 02:37:33 am »

John, I’m sorry you’re having so much strife with other members of the forum just for using  a word I used - namely ‘version’ - while trying to help me with my problem.  Just a quick update; your suggestions worked!  Though I was logged in at Adobe, the ‘Buy Now’ buttons remained as they were. However, your suggestion with the search function was the key to the solution! There I found a download link after entering the search word ‘Lightroom’. I downloaded the ‘Lightroom CC’ file (I’m reluctant now to use the word ‘version’) but didn’t install it. What did get installed however was a new CC updater (I’m quite certain Adobe has another name for it). This morning, after booting up my computer, the updater showed a new update for Lightroom which I installed. To my surprise (and delight), my ‘perpetual licensed’ Lightroom was now at version 6.1!  And so, I thank you kindly for your help and hope the other members of the forum cut you a little slack with the use of a word which I apparently used incorrectly.

With best wishes,

Larry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2015, 03:14:42 am »

Great, glad it worked. For all I care, people can now get back to using the v word as loosely as they wish - and I'm sure I will do so too.

jnewell

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:40 am »

Actually, if you scroll down a bit, a new header shows up that offers a Download.

Thanks - got it (all the way down at the bottom).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up