Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Picture is Worth a Thousand Words  (Read 85590 times)

Diego Pigozzo

Re: One Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »

That is the mature attitude to have.
It's not mature: it's just sterile.
Saying that "just some photos need words and some others don't" stop you from asking what kinds of photo need words and what kind don't.

Unfortunately, there are some who only want to deal in absolutes.
Winogrand is one of that guys.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »

... there are some who only want to deal in absolutes.

There are only absolutes in the world of digital... 0s and 1s. Some remain stuck in that mode when discussing photography, though. ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 12:25:39 pm »

... what kinds of photo need words and what kind don't...

How long is a piece of string?

Isaac

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 12:01:20 pm »

But for a significant number of images I exhibit, most of which are not context related, the questions come hard and fast, "who is this, where is this, what is this?".  These questions may help understand the context of the image, but to my mind, contribute nothing to the understanding of the image itself.

Perhaps those people wish to show some interest, to be polite; although they are not interested in "the image itself" they feel they should say something, and they feel comfortable asking basic questions about the content.

Perhaps they wish to be entertained by a story about the photograph. Perhaps they wish to have a story about the photograph which they can use as an anchor to hold onto the feeling they have about it.

Perhaps they wish to understand what moved you to take the photograph and do wish to understand "the image itself" but do not wish to reveal that they do not understand "the image itself" -- that would be embarrassing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:00:51 pm by Isaac »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 02:39:46 pm »

Good photos don't need a description, but buyers often do (need a description of a photo).

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 03:49:00 pm »

Good photos don't need a description
So you're saying that nobody, nowhere in the world, will have his/her photographic fruition made better improved by words associated with a photo?

I'm asking because I can think quite a few example of the contrary, like the following two.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:07:05 pm by Diego Pigozzo »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 04:57:19 pm »

because … ?
I'm just stating my opinion, and it's a generalization subject to exceptions.  IMO, a good photo does not require a description to resonate with the viewer. Once it does so, however, the viewer may want to know more, but supplying more is not a requirement unless you hope to make the viewer a buyer. Buyer's often have a desire to have some sort of connection to the art they've purchased - a description of what was occurring, what the photographer was experiencing, etc. Just my opinion. I've no desire to argue my subjective personal opinion because that's all it is. :)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:10:27 pm by pcgpcg »

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 05:08:25 pm »

I'm just stating my opinion, and it's a generalization subject to exceptions. I've no desire to argue my subjective personal opinion because that's all it is. :)
On what is your opinion based?

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 05:14:16 pm »

On what is your opinion based?
My opinion that a good photo does not require a description is based on the fact that my favorite photos have no description, or at least none that I have read. For example, I like the photo of the cat that you posted very much. It has no description and I doubt that my reading a description would alter how the photo impacts me. I don't care for the second photo and reading a description wouldn't change my mind.

My opinion that buyers want descriptions is based on my experience selling my artwork.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:22:34 pm by pcgpcg »

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 05:20:25 pm »

My opinion that a good photo does not require a description is based on the fact that my favorite photos have no description, or at least none that I have read. My opinion that buyers want descriptions is based on my experience selling my artwork.
So what you meant was "the photos I like does not need description", which is a little different from "good photos don't need description".

Could your opinion be just an expression of your personal taste?

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 05:25:00 pm »

So what you meant was "the photos I like does not need description", which is a little different from "good photos don't need description".
Of course, that's what opinions are. Art is subjective. I consider art good if it speaks to me. :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:28:08 pm by pcgpcg »

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 05:31:18 pm »

Of course. :)

So your phrase "Good photos don't need a description" has the same universal value of the phrase "chocolate is better than strawberry", that is absolutly no universal value.

I like the photo of the cat that you posted very much. It has no description and I doubt that my reading a description would alter how the photo impacts me.
Don't you think that someone else could be impacted by the description of the photo?

I don't care for the second photo and reading a description wouldn't change my mind.
Again: don't you think that someone else could be impacted by the description of the photo?

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 05:40:57 pm »

I've no desire to argue my subjective personal opinion because that's all it is. :)

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 05:43:26 pm »

I've no desire to argue my subjective personal opinion because that's all it is. Smiley

I'm not asking you to discuss your personal opinion: I'm asking you if you think they have any universal (or even general) value.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 08:08:13 am »

Perhaps you are not sure of the definition of an opinion?  Opinions are always biased and reflects the feelings and impressions from the standpoint of the person making the opinion.

No one has ever said that an opinion has to be universal and a moment's thought would indicate that an opinion can't be universal.

An opinion is, by definition and its very nature, subjective.

One can agree with someone's opinion without being right.
One can disagree with someone's opinion without being wrong.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 08:19:53 am »

Perhaps you are not sure of the definition of an opinion?  Opinions are always biased and reflects the feelings and impressions from the standpoint of the person making the opinion.
So you're saying that "opinion" and "taste" are synonyms.

No one has ever said that an opinion has to be universal and a moment's thought would indicate that an opinion can't be universal.
You said it, with your choice of wording, because "Good photos don't need a description" is VERY different from "The photos I like don't need a description".

An opinion is, by definition and its very nature, subjective.
Your choice of wording suggested quite a different thing.

BobDavid

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 12:10:36 am »

I like pictures that stand alone as pictures. I like text accompanied by pictures and vice versa. As far as fine art photography goes, it all depends on the intent of the artist. Some artists are masters of combining text with images, others struggle with it, some fall flat on their faces.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up