Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Apples Color Sync  (Read 10657 times)

dumainew

Apples Color Sync
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:26:54 am »

Printing on an Epson 2880 with Mac OS X- 10.9.5 using a custom printer profile.
In 'Print Mode', under 'Advanced Color Settings' the 'Appropriate Color Sync Profile' shows the generic Epson printer/paper profile. Shouldn't this say the custom profile I gave it in 'Assigned Printer Profile' ? I see no way to change this setting and am concerned I'm double profiling the image. Am confused!
Thanks for any help.
Richard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Apples Color Sync
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 09:32:58 am »

You probably are double-profiling. If you wish to us your custom profile, Printer Color Management must be switched off (in Color Mode>Off (No color management), in which case the Advanced Color Settings tab will say "Epson Color Management is off".
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dumainew

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:42:46 am »

Mark, Thanks for answering. Not sure where 'Color Mode-Off' is. In printer module I have PS handles color and printer profile is the custom setting. Richard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:45:54 am »

What application are you printing from? Photoshop or Lightroom? This information would help point to the route for getting the settings accessed and correct.

dumainew

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 09:47:51 am »

Sorry not to give info. Using PS.

howardm

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 09:53:46 am »

Once you get past the Photoshop dialog where you select PS manages color and the appropriate printer/paper profile, you enter the Mac's printer dialog by clicking 'Print Settings' at the top of the PS print dialog.  Under that, in Printer Settings, you find the option to turn off the printer driver's color management (see image).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 09:54:08 am »

OK. When you trigger Command>P (Print) the Photoshop Print Settings dialog should appear. If your driver layout looks like mine, in the center Color Management" section, there should be a dropdown called Color Handling where you can select Photoshop Manages Colors. And below that you select your own profile. Having done that, go into the upper box and trigger the Print Settings dropdown. In the middle of that select "Printer Settings". You should see for Color Mode > Off and grayed out. If so, you're fine. The if you go into Advanced Color Settings it will say Epson Color Management Off. All this if the layout of your driver version is similar to mine. There could be differences.

dumainew

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 10:08:41 am »

Mark,
I'm still kind of lost.
In 'Print Settings' I see 'Color: color (greyed out).
Below it in 'Color Settings' I see 'Off' 'greyed out.
Is this correct ?
R.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 01:49:04 pm »

The screen grab shows the settings for the Epson driver (Epson 4900 version). Not sure how much different your's looks, but if you can infer from the screen grabs to yours, much the same controls and settings should be available.

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 02:16:12 pm »

Using Lightroom or Photoshop with any recent version of the Mac OS, it is almost (if not totally) impossible to double profile. When you turn on color management by Lr or Ps, it is automatically turned off in the driver.

Brian A

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 02:28:09 pm »

Regardless, it seems to be not impossible, because when you select application manages colour we get a warning sign to make sure printer colour management is turned off. Maybe a relic of history, I don't know, but it is useful to check both the driver and application settings to make sure all is coherent and correct.

hugowolf

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 06:25:27 pm »

Regardless, it seems to be not impossible, because when you select application manages colour we get a warning sign to make sure printer colour management is turned off. Maybe a relic of history, I don't know, but it is useful to check both the driver and application settings to make sure all is coherent and correct.

Yes, I think a relic. But definitely worth checking.

The Adobe/Apple thing, unfortunately makes ABW profiles useless.

Brian A

dumainew

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »

Thank you all again for your good help.
I've gone thru the settings many times and it still gives the generic printer profile even as it states PS is managing the file.
Now when I print a test sheet the print module shows the reds are out of gamut, even tho the print itself comes out true to the screen view. And what perplexes me most is the lack of red in prints from my own files. I've run a bunch of them and they're all deficient in red. I ran a thorough printer cleaner, but that didn't change anything.
What's the best thing, would you say, for me to do now ?
Richard

howardm

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 02:45:54 pm »

lets clarify something..........

the ONLY (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) place you will see any reference to the custom printer profile you made is in Photoshop's print dialog (first thing after cmd-P).

The Mac printer driver ONLY knows about Epson papers.  When you printed the targets for the custom profile, you *must* have selected an Epson paper, that serves as the base type and is what you need to re-use when you use the custom profile.

This is exactly the same situation if you were to be using some 3rd party paper (say Canson).  On Canson's website, not only is there the profile for the paper in question but some additional 'instructions'.  Those instructions contain the important 'media type' you would select (in addition to resolution, high speed, etc etc).

dumainew

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 03:31:28 pm »

Howard,
I think that's what I'm getting.
And if I understand you correctly, I am entering into the settings space AND using the same specified paper.
In this case it's Epson Luster.
Richard

howardm

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 04:31:53 pm »

If you installed the custom profile correctly (in the correct folder), then Photoshop should make it available on its Print dialog and that's what you'd use (and Photoshop manages color).  In the next step, in the Mac's printer driver, you'd use Prem. Lustre  (and no color management)

dumainew

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »

So far, what you'e described is just what I've done- used the custom profile with the designated paper. But here where it gets confusing: printing Andrew Rodney's test sheet gives good results, but printing from my own fotos gives poor results. They're lacking in red, altho they're OK in luminosity.
I've tried files from 3 different cameras and they all lack red. Could I have somehow desaturated red somewhere in the print pipeline ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 05:08:17 pm »

lets clarify something..........

The Mac printer driver ONLY knows about Epson papers. 

And to clarify even further, there is no Mac printer driver. It is the Epson driver.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:38 pm »

.............. In the next step, in the Mac's printer driver, you'd use Prem. Lustre  (and no color management)

You are still in the Epson driver, different section.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 05:15:09 pm »

Thank you all again for your good help.
I've gone thru the settings many times and it still gives the generic printer profile even as it states PS is managing the file.

Richard

Richard, could you please post screen grabs of your settings, much as I did several posts above. I would like to see exactly what's going on in your Color Management/Print set-up before commenting or suggesting further.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up