Interestingly, Sony also created Blu Ray disks. Movies were used on these if not the old Betamax. So they eventually got their product used too. But now B-R is mainly gone, and many storage types are not being used as people favor streaming. Time marches on thanks to free markets, not the government.
When did the government ever try to dictate electronic data storage standards? What are you talking about? I think you've lost track yourself of the point you were trying to make.
Maybe you need to have 3 or 4 governments competing with each other, then the marketplace could decide which one was doing the best job and they'd win, just like VHS did. Trouble is once one of them got to the top job, how could any other government startup ever try to compete with them. So I don't think that idea is going to work. I withdraw the idea.
When I heat my house, I am able to decide which of the many gas companies delivers gas to my house. There used to be just one such company, not sure why we need so many of them now, but I'm sure someone knows. Eventually, the best one will win and the rest will disappear and we'll be back to one company. One thing that confuses me is how in the hell they can decide which gas molecules belong to which company or how to get those molecules to divert to my house. It's an amazing thing. Only the free market could design something like that, no government ever could, I'm sure.