Can you provide the complete and direct quote of his entire comments regarding Easter please.
“I’d love to have it open by Easter, OK? I would love to have it open by Easter. I will tell you that right now,” Trump said from the White House Rose Garden, where he and members of the administration’s coronavirus task force participated in a virtual town hall on Fox News. “It’s such an important day for other reasons, but I’ll make it an important day for this, too,” he added. “I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter.”
How's that?
Like several rational people here, I disagree with almost everything Alan has to say about Trump. In fact, I can't offhand think of any exceptions, though there may be some. (Has he ever referred to him as an out-of-control, bloated, narcissistic criminal asshole?) But I do tentatively agree with him that there might be a way to substantially reopen the American economy near-term, as outlined by a Yale doctor both on CNN's Anderson Cooper show and in a NY Times column. He suggests that the overwhelming number of people will survive the virus if they get it, but large numbers of elderly with underlying health conditions and people with suppressed immune systems (recovering cancer victims) might not. He advocates very heavy, widespread testing to determine who is most at risk. The most at risk would be placed in a kind of tranche -- heavily monitored everywhere, all the time. People who are very likely to survive would be allowed to restart their businesses, and, if they get the virus, to self-quarantine. They would also be carefully monitored to make sure they don't get in deep health trouble by being alone. That system would allow a very large segment of society to go back to work, and would, within a relatively short time, create substantial herd immunity created by recovered virus victims. I think this case is arguable -- if you have the testing, and if you create the systems necessary to do this.
The downside is that a lot of people would die. Maybe 1%, and this may be inevitable no matter what we do. If nobody's noticed, if 2/3 of Americans get this, as they might if we simply allowed people back to work, that would be something north of 2 million deaths in the US. 1 percent doesn't seem like a high percentage, but in fact, it's a big pile of bodies. By comparison, 418,000 American soldiers and civilians were killed in WWII, 58000 in Vietnam. We are looking at a shit sandwich.