Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: The Changing Landscape  (Read 74263 times)

jed best

Re: The Changing Landscape
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2018, 06:02:04 pm »

I do not know Josh so I will reserve judgment on his potential stewardship. However, I have know Kevin and Chris since the very first Antarctic Expedition that Michael ran. We were all on the ship together and I got to know these two gentlemen as well as Michael pretty well. Kevin and Chris have kept Michael's flame blazing since his passing and to find out today and in the manner in which it was announced is clearly unsatisfactory.

I personally wish Kevin and Chris great success in whatever they choose to do.

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2018, 06:29:53 pm »

I second what Jed said above. I too was on that first Antarctica trip in 2005 with Michael, Chris, Kevin and Jed. It was unforgettable, and so full of character and wonder. All the best to the outgoing folks - Chris, Kevin, thank you for the years of work both with Michael and subsequent to his passing.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 06:31:31 pm »

Like everybody else, I will miss Chris and Kevin dearly, and I wish them both the very best in the future.
I look forward eagerly to see what Josh can bring to LuLa.
May Michael's spirit continue to guide us all!

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 07:00:48 pm »

Watching a Netflix series "Bad Blood," about a Canadian mafia clan. When the mafia boss goes to prison, his son tries to take over leadership from a loyal lieutenant, based on his birth right, with disastrous consequences.

Any similarity with the current events is totally coincidental  ;)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:04:20 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Jacob Buchowski

• JMB Photography
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 07:19:42 pm »

Although I have not contributed much to this forum, I was a subscriber to LLVJ since the near beginning and have been a frequent visitor to the website for ~15 years. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Chris for the work he has put in. Chris, even though you were mostly behind the scenes, you have had a tremendous impact on my evolution as a photographer. Kevin, I also wanted to thank you for all you’ve done since taking over this site. The transition could not have been easy and I appreciate all you have done. Good luck to both of you in your future endeavors.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 07:30:39 pm »

Sad news indeed, and surprising.

A fond farewell to Chris, who did so much behind the camera and, I suspect, behind the scenes to keep things running.

Allow me to second that. I know that keeping an operation running smoothly (mostly out of the limelight), without claiming one's personal role too overtly (or at all), is the sign of true class. Chris, much appreciated. For what it's worth, you've certainly been noticed for your restraint in moderating (which often has been tested), and your production craftsmanship!

And a grateful thanks to Kevin: stepping into Michael’s place could not have been easy. What cannot be denied is your good nature and your tireless enthusiam for photography. Your love of the craft came through in every video and article ... even if not every camera was a DP Quattro Pro :)

I agree (although not about the Quattro ;)). It would have been hard to fill Michael's shoes for anybody, but Kevin gave it his áll. That much can be said.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:10:26 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2018, 07:42:21 pm »

Watching a Netflix series "Bad Blood," about a Canadian mafia clan. When the mafia boss goes to prison, his son tries to take over leadership from a loyal lieutenant, based on his birth right, with disastrous consequences.

Any similarity with the current events is totally coincidental  ;)

Hi Slobodan,

Although your style of humor requires an at times significant level of restraint, do consider if (in the absence of Chris') you're just trying to test Josh's, or not ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 07:46:43 pm »

...do consider...

I did.

My style of humor matches nicely the subtlety of the coup d’etat style ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:53:18 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2018, 08:36:07 pm »

I did.

My style of humor matches nicely the subtlety of the coup d’etat style ;)

Maybe, maybe not ...

It is all relative, as Albert Einstein (who knows) might have proposed.
It depends on one's frame of reference.

Cheers,
Bart

LarsR

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2018, 09:32:14 pm »

I wish Josh and everyone coming on board the best and am looking forward to the changes that are coming to the site, especially "an enhanced mobile-friendly site and forum." I think it's exciting that the next generation is taking up the reins. I just hope that Kevin will continue to produce content, if it's not here, then somewhere else. I've really enjoyed and learned from your articles and more recently videos over the past few years. Will "On the Rocks" (or something similar) continue? You were just starting to build an audience, and the chemistry (not just the ethanol) between the panel members was great! Thank you.

irene.cortes

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2018, 12:04:30 am »

Thank you, Chris and Kevin, for these good wishes, and for guiding us through this transition. We are also very grateful to the contributors and authors on the site - all of whom we plan to remain in collaboration.

Our only intention is to honour this prodigious production by learning from those who have come before us, continue the legacy and to enhance its experience for you - the LuLa community - and a future cohort.  I’m personally excited to bring my experience and passion for technology to the site and look forward to building state-of-the-art content, delivering the quality curriculum LuLa is renowned.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions, requests, or photography-related news you’d like to share. We want to get more of you hidden Masters of the forum onto the site!

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2018, 12:07:19 am »

Thanks all for the well-wishes and welcoming! I’m truly grateful and honored to be here. There is much to say and respond to. I can't add any details about this transition, and if it seems shocking or inelegant please trust that LULA's continued vitality has been our priority. We are exceedingly excited to step into this opportunity to offer our voices to the community. I view the forum as a beast working in concert with the content to make this site what it is for the photographic community- a true home where photographers can learn, commune and grow.

Some questions answered:

Yes, authors and writers will absolutely continue on and we will be in touch, please feel free to reach out.

What will happen?

In the coming months, we will introduce a new batch of professional photographers, writers, gear reviewers, and just as importantly, new formats for presentation.

Some examples:

-     Photographer’s profiles with a consistent set of questions - 15 &15 (fifteen questions and fifteen images). This is open to submissions or elections (starting now). Those working in the field with a unique vision are the focus.

-   Filmed podcast interviews - “We Just Clicked”. This will be me interviewing professional photographers about a life of pictures. I'm funny. It'll be informative....and funny.

-    Monthly editorial investigations on innovative processes - with an emerging tech angle (ie. unique rigs; customized Camera/Computer setups) Suggestions welcome in this sphere as well.

-    On-going field testing of new gear in activated contexts. Because content can be generated so quickly now, we will remain agile and post more frequently. The age of information is not slowing down.

-    Explorations into the artist’s eye. The act of seeing beyond the gear or the goal; the intention and spirit of perception itself. This is where I’ll offer my experience as a meditation teacher.

We have been constantly conjuring and there is much to reveal.

Thank you all again!

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Manoli

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2018, 04:40:21 am »

There is much to say and respond to. I can't add any details about this transition, and if it seems shocking or inelegant please trust that LULA's continued vitality has been our priority.

Sounds to me, as in those old cowboy movies, the cavalry have arrived and just in time.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2018, 06:12:01 am »

Josh,

If you want my advice (for what it is worth and I also realise you will probably be drowning in supposedly 'good' advice at the moment), then by all means try to instil a freshness to the site, but at the same time do also try to remember how your father built up this community (for that is what it has become), by doing what he did with Chris by his side for so many years, such as the series of much loved LLVJ's that were shot in interesting locations around the world, high end product reviews and discussing in-depth photography related techniques etc., and of course the forum.

As it is these core elements of the Lula site that brought us all here in the first place, so my advise would be that you do not change these fundamentals too much from what your dad created, but perhaps add a new layer or two on top of them. That way you keep all us old members happy and coming back for more, as well as hopefully bringing in lots of new members at the same time.

The internet is awash with photographic review sites these days, but Lula is and always has been different and head and shoulders above the rest, so I would hope this continues for many years into the future and it doesn't just turn into 'another' general on-line photographic magazine type of site.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:15:28 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2018, 06:29:49 am »

Thank you Dave,

Appreciated.

Your advice sits perfectly with our goals. The balance you suggest is exactly what we wish to create. If it ain't broke....
I'm acutely aware that watering LuLa down into some generalized space pandering to all and no one would be silly and that review "sites" or channels are now manifold and partially redundant. It is the unique blend of analysis, how to, college-level curriculum, locations (!) and personality which buoys the site. We will be adding new features and certainly, my tone will differ. More contemporary artists and makers, a look at DOP's (I'm in film) and said tech angles will add something which I think fits nicely.
In any event, I'm aware that we can't please everyone and I'll be simultaneously offering something fresh which may test the boundaries here. But... gently at first.

Best,

Josh

Rob C

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2018, 08:54:21 am »

Thank you Dave,

Appreciated.

Your advice sits perfectly with our goals. The balance you suggest is exactly what we wish to create. If it ain't broke....
I'm acutely aware that watering LuLa down into some generalized space pandering to all and no one would be silly and that review "sites" or channels are now manifold and partially redundant. It is the unique blend of analysis, how to, college-level curriculum, locations (!) and personality which buoys the site. We will be adding new features and certainly, my tone will differ. More contemporary artists and makers, a look at DOP's (I'm in film) and said tech angles will add something which I think fits nicely.
In any event, I'm aware that we can't please everyone and I'll be simultaneously offering something fresh which may test the boundaries here. But... gently at first.

Best,

Josh

Everyone's experience differs, of course, but for myself, there have been two main attractions to LuLa:

1. This is a wonderful resource of pretty expert advice regarding digital processing, and before you get to that, setting up monitors and calibrating the things. Help of this type from this site was very much required, in my case, because I live outwith any sort of tech. community where personal advice is possible. Digital came at a time that pretty much coincided with my retiring from the pro photographic life;

2. I have come across some very good photographers and seen some really interesting photography here. Where I do feel a bit disappointed, is in the way that photographer interviews/articles are formatted: the focus appears to be on how-to stuff, and this leaves me pretty cold. My interest is in the people, how they decided to do what they did, what drove them to embrace the career etc. - you can see photographs in a zillion places, but you can't get into the souls of those people so easily, and that's where I always felt LuLa could excel, but seldom seemed to want to go.

Maybe you have that entrée. I hope!

Good luck in keeping all the different balls up in the air!

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2018, 09:27:45 am »

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

AlexG

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2018, 10:06:40 am »

I just found out of the changes taking place at Lula. I am somewhat shocked the way it came about. I am also certain that came for a reason. I have mixed fealings and hope for the best!

I have been a reader from the very beginning to include all the LLVJ since #1. Most of my matured photography learning I owe it to Lula and a few books...

I wish Chris and Kevin all the best on whatever endeavors they will continue. One sad thing is that I intended to visit Lula personally as I live in the Indy area. I wonder if Lula will remain in Indy or move to a different area?

Josh, I can only wish you good luck and all the best carring the continuity of Lula. You are stepping in some big shoes...

Happy new year to everyone.

Alejandro

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2018, 11:31:08 am »

Thank you Rob C

This:

the focus appears to be on how-to stuff, and this leaves me pretty cold. My interest is in the people, how they decided to do what they did, what drove them to embrace the career etc. - you can see photographs in a zillion places, but you can't get into the souls of those people so easily, and that's where I always felt LuLa could excel, but seldom seemed to want to go.

What you mention here is perhaps my main inspiration for what I can personally bring to LULA. I agree, windows into one's experience and the photographer's impetus to create are paramount! Interviews and psychological /personal investigations into the artist's POV's are very high on the list and are in production right now.

kerkula

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2018, 12:03:20 pm »

Welcome Josh,  It must be an honor stepping into your father's shoes; I wish you well.  Like others, I am saddened and puzzled by the sudden departures of Kevin and Chris.  I can only assume you did not part ways on the friendliest of terms.  My wish for the new year is that this site which has meant so much to me, will continue to educate and inspire.
Best, David
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up