Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enthusiasts - favorite pocket camera (besides phone)?  (Read 11771 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Enthusiasts - favorite pocket camera (besides phone)?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 01:46:53 am »

Bernard, did you get an advance look at the Nikon DL24-85?

Yes, I had the chance to play with one a few months ago and saw several prints from it. Image quality seems similar to that of the RX100, with perhaps a slightly better optics.

But the killer is AF, it appeared very close to Nikon 1 series perfo which is the closest thing in mirrorless to a DSLR.

Lack of EVF is a bit annoying for some situations, but the latest RX100 is just too expensive for a compact that I won't be using that much from past experience.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 06:49:10 am »

I had the RX100 mk1 and mk2, which I never really liked. now I got the mk4, which is brilliant. it is the perfect companion for both a phone and any high end camera, as it does, what both the others can't. Films quite well, too.

I had a RX100 original ($300) and had the most fun I've ever had with a "family" camera for a week until it started buzzing like an electric razor. Store swapped it, but the next made inadequate images, sold it. Guy at the ship told me he went through 4 of them before getting one that worked.

While working with the RX100 I realized that in fact much of the quality is due to digital image correction which doesn't work when the camera is too far out of specs. Sony has become very good at codesign, where the firmware corrects the issues of the hardware, which allows them to use lenses which couldn't be used on a classical camera.

The only real problem of the RX100 was that it's not very good indoors in bad light. Presumably Sony wants to sell other cameras to be used at high ISO.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

dwswager

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

Having "lost" my RX100 first gen, I have a Nikon DL 24-85 on order.

It has IMHO the best AF of any compact and the best price/performance ratio among the premium compacts.

Back to Nikon compact after many many years with Canon and then Sony.

Cheers,
Bernard

I don't have a middle ground so I either don't care and use my Nexus 6P phone or use my D810 or D500.  But I will probably look at the DL 18-50mm or 24-85mm.  They are somewhat intriguing.

The last pocket camera I bought was a Canon S95.  Nice camera, but as a point and shoot, not much different than cheaper alternatives and if you got to using the functionality, I might as well be using a DSLR. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:31:00 pm by dwswager »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 08:06:11 pm »

I consider my RX1003 outstanding in low light for a sensor this small. It's not an A7S2 of course but light years better than any smartphone out there and quite possibly the best IQ in its class.
Besides the glass is so good, it rarely needs any sharpening, keeping noise down.

I had a RX100 original ($300) and had the most fun I've ever had with a "family" camera for a week until it started buzzing like an electric razor. Store swapped it, but the next made inadequate images, sold it. Guy at the ship told me he went through 4 of them before getting one that worked.

While working with the RX100 I realized that in fact much of the quality is due to digital image correction which doesn't work when the camera is too far out of specs. Sony has become very good at codesign, where the firmware corrects the issues of the hardware, which allows them to use lenses which couldn't be used on a classical camera.

The only real problem of the RX100 was that it's not very good indoors in bad light. Presumably Sony wants to sell other cameras to be used at high ISO.

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:11:35 pm by uaiomex »

scooby70

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 06:09:23 pm »

I have a Panasonic LF1 and it is truly pocketable. You can do everything manually and although it's obviously a bit fiddly it can be done and at ISO 3200 the pictures are fine for whole image screen viewing or reasonably sized prints and that wasn't always so true for APS-C DSLR's not so long ago. It has a useable EVF too.

My only real complaint is that it's too easy to turn it on when picking it up.

I tend to take it with me when even a MFT camera would be too conspicuous and I do prefer using it to taking pictures with my phone.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 11:43:35 am »

And another vote for the 1st gen Sony rx-100.  I still love this camera.  The images from the sony 1 inch sensor in good light are fantastic - given the size of this camera. 
A fixed viewfinder would be a most welcome addition. I bought and quickly returned the Gen 2 or 3 because I didn't like the reduced lens zoom (original is 28-100) and the 2 stage viewfinder activation was a PIA.  Also, going from 8 Oz to 10 or 11 made a difference for me.  I ski, bike and hike with this camera in a pocket much of the time.  The added weight was not welcome - especially with the viewfinder being so fiddly and the zoom limited to around 80mm.  The new Nikon looks nice but its almost 13 Oz

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 10:18:13 am »

X100 v1

-great 35mm f/2 lens
-leaf shutter
-surprisingly good fill flash for onboard, in fact it's the only onboard flash I ever consider using
-3-stop ND filter at the push of a button
-evf and ovf
-feather weight
-thin body and lens combo
-decent macro mode for a 35mm lens

I almost always have one around even just as a backup.  It's an amazing tool that is actually pocketable.  Large pocket.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 07:46:17 pm »

I once started a whole thread on subj, you may want to have a look...

Still using RX100m2, but I somehow start feeling it's days are numbered -- more and more often it feels not up to the job. What am I missing?

1. I need to very quickly draw it, "aim", and shoot when I happen to see a worthy scene. And RX100 is lethargic. I was originally very enthusiastic about the ability to set zoom ring to zoom to FF equivalents, in steps (28/35/50/75/100), but quickly realized it's next to worthless -- you have to always rotate the ring twice before it starts to react ("oh, you really wanted to zoom, oh, ok then... I guess, I'll zoom then... I guess I really have to... zzz". It does not remember last zoom position.

2. AF speed. CDAF is CDAF, there is no workaround for it.

3. Connectivity. WiFi is a battery juice hog, so I almost always have it in "airplane" mode. Nikon is IMHO on right track with their Snapbridge that mainly relies on Bluetooth, but they managed to screw it as is often the case with them these days...

4. GPS. Unless I shoot in my home city (and somethimes even then), I want to know where exactly I was when I pressed the shutter, goddamnit! So sometimes I end up pulling out cell phone and taking another shot (if I'm not moving too fast...) -- solely for the sake of geotagging. Again, Nikon seem to solve that as well with their Snapbridge -- at least, to a degree.

So... My next camera might be a Nikon DL, as it checks 3 out of 4 (2: PDAF, and Snapbridge covers 3 and 4), but big question mark is their size -- will it fit my current, or a bigger belt pouch? Plus, of course, general responsiveness. If I can't take a shot when opportunity presents itself, all that S/N and DR cr@p just does not matter.

Even my current phone, LG V10, is better than RX100m2 in 3 out of 4 items -- everything except AF. Well, I will then have to expand the list, also including bokeh and zoom per se (where RX100 would have upper hand, of course), but that's a different story. V10 is amazingly quick to draw: I put hand in the pocket, index finger immediately falls on the volume rocker that is on the back of V10; as I draw it, I press "volume down" twice; voila, by the time phone is out, camera is ON.

My dream camera would be something with mechanically-coupled zoom ring around the lens. Once you turn it, the camera is powered and lens goes from collapsed state to, say, 24/28 position. You turn it further, it clicks and is in 35mm position, etc. Why no-one made something like this? I do not know... I do have some hope left though: for years, I was wondering why no-one made a point-and-shoot with WA lens? Turned out, it wasn't me being irrational, it was manufacturers being dumb -- DL 18-50 seems to be the hottest of the DL bunch. So, who knows, who knows...

NancyP

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 11:44:06 am »

Thanks, Zorki, for the link. Thanks, everyone, for their input.

John R

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 05:54:24 pm »

Hello Nancy. About three years ago I wanted and bought a discounted Pentax MX1 that was a return. I wanted it much for the same reasons as everyone on this thread, as a carry-everywhere camera that I could afford to lose, drop or get stolen from my car. It had a small sensor, just under the one inch. Built like a tank, it functioned beautifully and looks like a miniature DSLR, with 28-105 equivalent lens @ F2-4. Had a tilt screen and was snappy- fast than most all the other compact I tried. I regret taking it back. Had temporary finance woes. I paid $400 then. I see it is now selling for close to 1000 dollars. Just ridiculous. See here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOpygcOVJE

I can recommend one more with a bigger sensor and that is the Canon GX1. Now discontinued. It has a sensor almost the size of 1.5 crop, and has many features. I hope I can get my hands on a used G1X-ver2 (or G2X), it's successor. It still has the larger sensor and focuses closer than the G1X. All the newer models have smaller 1-inch sensor, from Sony (what irony!). Slowish, but just look at the quality of this image shot after I painted the house and saw abstracts in a new light.

tonyhowell

• https://www.tonyhowell.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:21 am »

Would highly recommend the RX100 II; I'm a pro and I was surprised at how large it would print (30in +) and still be sharp!
Tony Howell

Otto Phocus

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 07:59:04 am »

I don't carry a cell phone.  While I like my FF rig, it is big, heavy, and inconvenient to carry around casually.

I have been coveting the Fujifilm X100T as a camera that I could carry around.

For some strange reason, my leaving my FF rig on the shelf is not improving my photography techniques.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 01:33:30 am »

I got a Fuji X30, I really like it, not as small as some cameras but nice images from it. I originally got it to replace my work camera which is a really old Canon point and shoot (>6years old) and I decided to keep it for myself instead of getting reimbursed. My work uses are not very critical but sometimes require low light capability. Mostly use it at work to document parts that heavily damaged as they come off airplanes, or on the verge of failing. Simple jpgs, but the Fuji is like a mini X-t1 camera, great image quality in a small sensor. For my uses it is great. I also really like the Galaxy S7 camera, that is game changer in the world of phone cameras at least for me.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

AlRohrer

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »

iPhone 6+ > Canon G1X MkII > Canon 5D MkIII. Always toting at least one of the three.

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »

I sold my Nikon 1V1 and I regret it. It was smaller than a Nikon P7800.

I'm now carrying a Sony RX100-2, with electronic viewfinder. Both were bought used, because they cost too much.

I added Richard Franiec's grips to both of those cameras. That solved ergonomics issues. (I was prepared to sell my RX100-2 before I added the grip. It was that bad!)

When I had a small photo business I used. a Leica M3 as lightweight kit

Dave Lynch

NancyP

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 11:59:02 am »

Thanks. I understand that the Nikon DL24-85 release date is now in 2017. The iPhone 7+ sounds interesting. I will be looking for comments from users.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 12:22:49 pm »

The iPhone 7+ sounds interesting.

It certainly does. If it was an Android phone, I'd buy one in a heartbeat...

I thought LG V20 might be my next phone, but then found out they got rid of rocker switch on the back (double click on "volume down" on my LG V10 activates camera; very handy: by the time you pull phone from the pocket, camera is already On). On V10, they made it flat (with horrible tactile feedback compared to G2), and now this. From LG G2, they just get worse and worse.

No-one wants to build a perfect camera/phone for me... <sigh>
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up