Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shots taken with a camera that is always with you  (Read 16995 times)

Zorki5

• AOLib
Shots taken with a camera that is always with you
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:15:09 pm »

I never ever leave home w/o a camera in a small holster on my belt. These days, it is Sony RX100II, and before it it was Fuji F200EXR, and before it it was Fuji F31fd. Somewhere in between I used a small Panasonic, which got lost along with its holster (presumably) when I was getting into a car and costed me images from one of the US trips... But well.

Anyway, every now and then having these little cameras grants me an image I wouldn't have taken otherwise. Below is one such picture, taken with RX100II during evening walk on Rhodes. BTW, EXIF says focal length was at 37.1mm, or 100mm in FF terms (i.e. fully zoomed in), and ISO at 6,400; so cell phone just wouldn't do it.

Do you have a camera that is always with you, except for the one in your smartphone?

If so, please share images taken with it in this thread.

Michael West

Re: Shots taken with a camera that is always with you
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:16:14 pm »

I never ever leave home w/o a camera in a small holster on my belt. These days, it is Sony RX100II, and before it it was Fuji F200EXR, and before it it was Fuji F31fd. Somewhere in between I used a small Panasonic, which got lost along with its holster (presumably) when I was getting into a car and costed me images from one of the US trips... But well.

Anyway, every now and then having these little cameras grants me an image I wouldn't have taken otherwise. Below is one such picture, taken with RX100II during evening walk on Rhodes. BTW, EXIF says focal length was at 37.1mm, or 100mm in FF terms (i.e. fully zoomed in), and ISO at 6,400; so cell phone just wouldn't do it.

Do you have a camera that is always with you, except for the one in your smartphone?

If so, please share images taken with it in this thread.

I take my Canon 5D MKII literally everywhere  except to bed and to the shower! It is an eye opener, so to speak. As you're very aware there are always Opportunities to make an image that will pass you by if you're not equipped to capture it.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »

I take my Canon 5D MKII literally everywhere  except to bed and to the shower! It is an eye opener, so to speak. As you're very aware there are always Opportunities to make an image that will pass you by if you're not equipped to capture it.

As a 5DmkII owner myself (and thus being aware of its bulk), I can only admire your persistence!  :)

Here's a shot taken at Playboy's Chicago HQ in 2010 with Fuji F200EXR that I know I'd have missed if I hadn't have a pocket camera with me:

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:24:17 pm »

Moving between terminals at O'Hare (same 2010). Again, not exactly a place where you'd have your DSLR ready... But -- drawing Fuji F200 from its holster is always an option:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 07:45:24 pm »

Moving between terminals at O'Hare (same 2010). Again, not exactly a place where you'd have your DSLR ready...

I had  :)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:39:17 pm »

I had  :)

OK, Slobodan, I'll give you that one... 1:0 in your favor :)

Here is BTW a very different kind of an airport, the one of the island of Krete (Heraklion). I was waiting for departure, about to board. And, again, this is not a situation where I'd have an ILC ready, but -- RX100II to the rescue:

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:13 pm »

Here is BTW a very different kind of an airport

And, while we're at it, another airport-related one: this time, descending to land... at Orange county, if memory serves me. Fuji F200EXR.

Any DSLR shots through airplane window? :)

BTW, this forum's thumbnail generator sucks. Almost all thumbnails look muddy, definition is lost, which is going to hurt this particular shot... But well, I'll post it anyway (sigh).

Michael West

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:49 pm »

As a 5DmkII owner myself (and thus being aware of its bulk), I can only admire your persistence!  :)

Here's a shot taken at Playboy's Chicago HQ in 2010 with Fuji F200EXR that I know I'd have missed if I hadn't have a pocket camera with me:

Bulk and weight. For some strange reason..the metal body with a 24-105mm lens weighs more than it did a could of short years ago.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:25 pm »

Bulk and weight. For some strange reason..the metal body with a 24-105mm lens weighs more than it did a could of short years ago.

Same here. Speaking of... objective measurements, my Canon 24-105/4 is 670g., and Zeiss 16-70/4 (current companion of my Sony a6000) is only 308g. So Zeiss wins, hands down, even before we get to resolution charts and/or bokeh evaluation.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 09:38:30 pm »

... Any DSLR shots through airplane window? :)...

Yes  :)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 09:53:29 pm »

Yes  :)

OK, fair enough... 2:0 :)

It still seems to me though that, in tight situations, so to say, a pocket camera is (much) more convenient to properly frame the shot. Look, for instance, at these (first is most probably Denver -- Orange county, second NY -- Moscow):

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 09:56:46 pm »

in tight situations, so to say, a pocket camera is (much) more convenient to properly frame the shot.

BTW, second images wasn't cropped even by a pixel on either side. Both taken with Fuji F200EXR.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:37:43 pm »

Hey Slobodan: Is there any place you don't take your DSLR? (Blush, blush!)   ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:05 pm »

Yeah... That's what I'm trying to figure out, too.  :D

Here, how about this: statue of Bulat Okudzhava, Moscow, Arbat. Taken with with Fuji F31fd, on a walk:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 06:50:55 pm »

I wish that would be true. In reality, I leave my cameras (DSLR or p&s) at home way too often. I wish I have Zorki5's tenacity to "never ever leave home w/o a camera."

And yes, I took a camera (though not a DSLR) to that place you probably have in mind too. ;)

You see, during my years in Russia, I traveled on business to some areas quite different from the westernized expat refuges (i.e., glitzy restaurants, hotels, and shopping malls) in Moscow in the mid-nineties. Hotel accommodations in those other places was more in line with Soviet standards. For instance, Krasnodar, in the south of Russia, had one floor of one hotel (!) renovated to western standards (by Turkish contractors - something that won't be possible as of this year). Clean bathrooms, marble, Italian faucets, etc. The price was reasonable, about $60 per room. At one point, however, there was some sort of convention in town and I was forced to stay in a Soviet era Intourist hotel, the only chain allowed to host foreign tourists in the past. Their prices reflected that old mentality of charging more to foreigners, coupled with the fact that they probably knew everything else was already fully booked, so the price was $100. But their rooms, and especially bathrooms, were a far cry from the Turkish renovated, Italian marble, etc. ones in the other hotel. So I took out my p&s (an Olympus Stylus at the time) to document something more akin to a public toilet in a seedy part of town than a $100-a night hotel. Sorry, can't show it to you now, my then-wife tore up the print, as too inappropriate to keep ;)

The only other time I left my DSLR at home for a significant trip (and have regretted that to this day) was my trip to Belgrade in 2010. I just took a Canon G10. To make matters worse, I made another one of those once-and-never-again decisions, i.e., to shoot only jpeg. I thought  that, with no options to download the memory card during the trip, it would be prudent to save some space on it. Big mistake.

Nevertheless, I made two shots that have a special meaning to me. One of my now-late father:

... and the other on a layover stop in Paris. The Paris shot, in spite of being a straight-out-of-camera jpeg from a p&s, printed on a 30"x40" canvas, is now my best selling print at art fairs:

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 06:59:52 pm »

Two splendid shots, Slobodan. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 08:50:33 pm »

Two splendid shots, Slobodan. Bravo!
I agree.

I recognized your father. Excellent portrait.
My two times in Paris it never rained. Maybe that's why I don't sell many prints.   ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 09:54:15 pm »

I wish I have Zorki5's tenacity to "never ever leave home w/o a camera."

Believe it or not, it's not exaggeration... Missing weight on the left side of the belt, to which I'm so accustomed, is very noticeable, much more so than missing car key in pants' right pocket.

Yeah, mid-nineties were less than pretty... We rented office on Bolshaya Kommonisticheskaya ("Big Communist"  :D ) street, now Solzhenitsyna st., 5 min walking from Moscow's Orchard circle -- in the building of a dying research institute. I won't even start describing what restrooms looked over there...

Oh well. Here's a prettier view, shot during another evening walk. Mallorca, Spain, RX100II:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 02:02:30 pm »

I never ever leave home w/o a camera...

I've come across a gem of a short video, featuring an 82-year old New York photographer, Ken Van Sickle, musing on the subject of "What makes a photographer when everyone is taking pictures?" Well worth 3 minutes of our lives, in my humble opinion.

https://youtu.be/hA_uVCCD5Is

For the purpose of this discussion, however, I am attaching a relevant screen shot. The sentence before that one was "I carry a camera..."

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 02:49:23 pm »

Ha, I found a cheap flight to Europe in 1986 on JAT (Yugoslav Airlines). Aside from the flight itself (smokers on the left, non-smokers on the right, broken seat, an oxygen leak which fortunately prevented the smokers from lighting up at risk of immolation), there was an obligatory night in an "International" Hotel in Belgrade. I remember a dining room that must have been able to set 400, with 1 diner... and in the room, my bed was in an alcove that was quite a bit shorter than me. Fortunately Jat was paying.

I also bought some local slide film, with a mail-back processing envelope. It faithfully captured all possible shades of brown, but processing didn't include mounts. Different.

Anyway, two phone pics: one in the Tuileries in Paris, almost exactly a year ago; the other in my office last week.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:58:33 pm by GrahamBy »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up