Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating from Aperture, where is Lightroom's project view?  (Read 1037 times)

yalag

Migrating from Aperture, where is Lightroom's project view?
« on: April 22, 2015, 03:03:09 pm »

In aperture, and iPhoto or any other program to be honest, there is a project view. It shows all your projects in a grid, with a preview of each project. It's the most reasonable way to browse projects. You can then sort these projects by date, or folders even (in aperture, not iphoto).

Where is this in LR? The only navigation I have is a tree view of folders. It's as if Lightroom pretends to be a file system. I don't see how anyone can navigate their projects without clicking on each single one. It's either that or they memorized all their folder names. But again, how does that scale when you ahve 200+ projects?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:05:33 pm by yalag »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Migrating from Aperture, where is Lightroom's project view?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »

Folders - you don't have this in Aperture. It's like Relocate Originals on steroids.

Plenty of LR users do use folders as the equivalent to your projects though. I wouldn't, ever.

Projects - the nearest equivalent is Collections and Collection Sets. But also you will tend to use more standard IPTC fields in LR than in Aperture. I use the Job field for what some Aperture users would put in their Projects.

Also look at the Library Filter. This allows one to slice and dice a catalogue for more ad hoc needs - if they become more continuing requirements, then one might add a smart collection or other collection-based tools.

yalag

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:01:25 pm »

Thanks for your help but I don't quite understand how. Here's the view I'm talking about

So you can visually tell which project is which. Not by words in a folder name.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:52 pm »

You don't get any equivalent of that grid view where you can drill down. Yes, I agree it would be nice - you have it in the LrMobile iOS and LrWeb browser apps.

John

yalag

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »

Ok I can understand that, but I just want to know how LR users achieve the same task. So, say you just launched LR, ready to work. You have 500 projects scattered over a very complex nested folder structure on the left.

So at this point, what does a LR user click and what goes through their brains? Because right now, what I do is
open every parent folder
click on every single photo folder
scan the photos in the middle area
and move to the next
repeat x500

I can't even search. For example, if I wanted to search for a word in the 500 folders, say, "xmas", you can't even do that. Or did I missed it?

ButchM

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 05:30:12 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/user/AdobeLightroom/videos?spfreload=10

Julianne Kost does a very nice job in her video series to get you up to speed.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 03:29:49 pm »

Check out Organizing Your Photos with LightRoom http://thedambook.com/organizing-your-photos-with-lightroom-5/. You'll find this issue and lots of others discussed.
All of the stuff applies to LR 6
Added
There is a whole chapter devoted to your question about how to handle projects with collections.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:03:06 pm by Les Sparks »
Pages: [1]   Go Up