Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GPU used in Develop but not Library?  (Read 5565 times)

Bob Peters

GPU used in Develop but not Library?
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:13:50 pm »

I'm puzzled by the fact that the GPU is not used to create the 1:1 previews in the Library module but is used in the Develop module for very snappy updates to the displayed image.

Why the difference?  Even with slider action in the Develop module the image must be rendered again, doesn't it?

Someone please explain this.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: GPU used in Develop but not Library?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:20:42 pm »

They've prioritised where they are introducing GPU acceleration - Develop's After view and 5K screens. But yes, it would be good to have super fast browsing of previews. One interesting detail is that they will be able to apply GPU acceleration to other areas without waiting for a new version of LR - performance tuning specific areas doesn't count as a new feature.

AlterEgo

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:08 pm »

Why the difference?  Even with slider action in the Develop module the image must be rendered again, doesn't it?
define rendered... Adobe reads raw/does "linearization"/demosaick only once - then all UI accessible operations are after demosaick, so re-rendering starts in the worst case scenario with WB operation, but if camera profile/WB sliders are not affected then potentially from later stages.

FredT

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 06:18:15 pm »

I'm puzzled by the fact that the GPU is not used to create the 1:1 previews in the Library module but is used in the Develop module for very snappy updates to the displayed image.

Someone please explain this.
Are you sure that it's not?  Whether it is or not, I'm seeing a nice improvement in performance in the library module.  Scrolling is smoother (though not up to Photos level) and browsing photo to photo at full size is much better.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:31:59 pm »

Yes, GPU acceleration is currently available in Develop only.  It is used during interactive adjustment of images for the main preview image.  The benefits are more noticeable on higher-resolution screens -- such as 4K and 5K displays, and high-res laptop screens such as the MacBook Pro Retina 15" model (which has a 5 MP display).

There were some speed improvements made to Library as well, but these are not GPU-based.
Eric Chan

Bob Peters

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:44:39 pm »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply!

Bob Peters

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:49:59 pm »

Yes, GPU acceleration is currently available in Develop only.  It is used during interactive adjustment of images for the main preview image.  The benefits are more noticeable on higher-resolution screens -- such as 4K and 5K displays, and high-res laptop screens such as the MacBook Pro Retina 15" model (which has a 5 MP display).

There were some speed improvements made to Library as well, but these are not GPU-based.

Thank you very much, Eric.  I did some rough measurements in the Library and Develop modules and noticed what you stated.

"Measurements" or not, I'll take your statement in preference to what I might conclude any day.  "From the horses mouth" so to speak :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 01:51:19 pm »

Thanks for confirming, I suspected as much as Library/Grid seems much snappier on my end. One of my complaints about LR is now happily no more.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

AlterEgo

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:27 am »

Yes, GPU acceleration is currently available in Develop only.  It is used during interactive adjustment of images for the main preview image.  The benefits are more noticeable on higher-resolution screens -- such as 4K and 5K displays, and high-res laptop screens such as the MacBook Pro Retina 15" model (which has a 5 MP display).

ACR9 : why with GPU on I have a really annoying delay during zoom operations while something is either reloaded in GPU memory from RAM or something is being recalculated in GPU way slower than with CPU, GPU off works noticeable faster with zoom operations... compare with FRV (FastRawViewer) - it simply annihilates ACR in that department (zooming) speed-wise, unless ACR reworks the whole NR/sharpening/etc (but then why not to keep that cached calculated @ 100% and then it will be only zooming, no ?)

my configuration is PC/Win8.1x64, i4810mq, 32gb, GTX870M (latest non "game-ready" NVidia drivers) driving 2560x1440 ...

Slater-K

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 08:12:07 am »

GPU off works noticeable faster with zoom operations

I'm also getting faster performance with 'Use GPU' switched off!!

I couldn't really believe it, but i've toggled it on and off repeatedly, and sure enough, going to the next image whilst in develop module, it is much faster with GPU turned off!

(With it turned on, it's like i'm seeing two versions of the same image: the first without some adjustments (such as split toning) and then after a second or so, the second and final image with all the adjustments. With GPU turned off, i just go straight to the final version of the image - the same behaviour as LR 5.)

How very very strange! Can anyone here replicate this?!

(nMP, D500s, 2560 x 1600)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:21:11 am »

I couldn't really believe it, but i've toggled it on and off repeatedly, and sure enough, going to the next image whilst in develop module, it is much faster with GPU turned off!
 Can anyone here replicate this?!
Yes, it looks like that's the case here too. Not a lot in it, but noticeably faster with GPU off.
But the responsiveness of the editing controls is faster with GPU on <d'oh>

So choose which you want by the task needed.

W7 i7 32gb ram SSD HDDs GTX470

Bob Peters

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 02:13:33 pm »

(With it turned on, it's like i'm seeing two versions of the same image: the first without some adjustments (such as split toning) and then after a second or so, the second and final image with all the adjustments. With GPU turned off, i just go straight to the final version of the image - the same behaviour as LR 5.)

How very very strange! Can anyone here replicate this?!

(nMP, D500s, 2560 x 1600)

Yes.

I see the same thing happening on my MacBook Pro (retina display) and on my (late 2013) MacPro (AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB).

(1) pick an image...(I have looked at Nikon 1 V3, D700 and D800 NEF files.)  Enter the Develop module and zoom to 1:1.
(2) choose the next file and the image gets very blurry, changes to pretty sharp and then very sharp.
(3) choose the next image and the same thing happens.
(4) return the the previous image and the same thing happens  (Why isn't the ACR cache coming into play?)

This is annoying.

AlterEgo

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 03:41:54 pm »

Yes.

I see the same thing happening on my MacBook Pro (retina display) and on my (late 2013) MacPro (AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB).

(1) pick an image...(I have looked at Nikon 1 V3, D700 and D800 NEF files.)  Enter the Develop module and zoom to 1:1.
(2) choose the next file and the image gets very blurry, changes to pretty sharp and then very sharp.
(3) choose the next image and the same thing happens.
(4) return the the previous image and the same thing happens  (Why isn't the ACR cache coming into play?)

This is annoying.

annoying is that it happens with the same image when you zoom in/zoom out w/o touching any sliders or moving to a different image.. 

jrsforums

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 08:24:12 am »

John

Bob Peters

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 09:43:26 am »

Yes, GPU acceleration is currently available in Develop only.  It is used during interactive adjustment of images for the main preview image.  The benefits are more noticeable on higher-resolution screens -- such as 4K and 5K displays, and high-res laptop screens such as the MacBook Pro Retina 15" model (which has a 5 MP display).

Hardware configuration:
   MacPro (late 2013)
   AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
   Apple Cinema Display 1920 x 1200
   16 GB RAM
   1 TB SSD

OS X (10.9.5)

Test file:  Nikon D800 NEF, 50 MB

(0)  open the Develop module
(1)  select a different NEF file and zoom to 1:1
(2)  clear the ACR cache
(3)  select the test file
(4)  take 3 screenshots to illustrate the 3 display states (the first one is hard to capture)
(5)  select another image
(6)  same 3 states are present
(7)  return to the test file and the same 3 display states are present
   Why isn’t the ACR cache coming into play in step 7?

If I repeat this process with the GPU disabled the image is displayed without the intermediate states.

I have attached the 3 screenshots mentioned in step (4).

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:58:29 am by Bob Peters »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »

Were there improvements in terms of speed to import? If so, is that in anyway tied to GPU?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up