Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct image comparisons of D810 and Canon top of the line body?  (Read 10465 times)

Deardorff

Where would I find direct comparisons of images (in the field and actual use) of the Nikon D810 and whatever Canons top full frame body is now? (probably 1Dx or 5DmkIII?)

Would like to see some at ISO ratings low, medium and high. Images that show shadow detail to highlight as well as some of lighting extremes.

Nikon has a greater dynamic range at low to medium ISO settings but would like to actually see if it shows up in images.

LKaven

Re: Direct image comparisons of D810 and Canon top of the line body?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:11:42 pm »

I'm not seeing sample shots from the Canon posted anywhere yet in a sample database where you could directly compare the cameras on identical scenes.  The Canon, not being released yet for a while, is probably still in a late test phase before the firmware is finalized. 

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »

have you googled 'D810 5d3 image comparison'? The sites are out there as I looked for the same not long ago .

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 02:05:43 pm »

Where would I find direct comparisons of images (in the field and actual use) of the Nikon D810 and whatever Canons top full frame body is now? (probably 1Dx or 5DmkIII?)

Would like to see some at ISO ratings low, medium and high. Images that show shadow detail to highlight as well as some of lighting extremes.

Nikon has a greater dynamic range at low to medium ISO settings but would like to actually see if it shows up in images.

It shows up only if the image opportunity requires it.  Let's face it, most images don't require 10 stops let alone 14.  As ISO goes up the DR advantage disappears.  Where I find the Sony sensors have value at higher ISOs is the ability to pull cleaner shadows.  Hence, you can shoot with 2-3 stops underexposure on the D810 to keep ISO lower.

Google is your friend!

Canon 5DS and 5DS R Image Samples

LKaven

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »

have you googled 'D810 5d3 image comparison'? The sites are out there as I looked for the same not long ago .

Oh, I see.  I thought the OP was thinking of the 5Ds/r, for which samples are not everywhere available that are suitable for comparison. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 06:55:02 pm »

Of course it does (show up in images). Check this out:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

Or better not (check it out)... it just makes a grown man cry ;)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:44:23 pm »

Of course it does (show up in images). Check this out:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

The D810 still improves significantly on this when used at ISO64.

The APS-C D7200 is also now superior to the D800 DRwise and may in fact be one of the best options for landscape considering the extended DoF its smaller sensor provides all other things being equal. Combined with a Sigma 35mm f1.4 it may be one of the best stitching solution available. Note to myself, need to consider this seriously. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:46:46 pm by BernardLanguillier »

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:26:41 pm »

The APS-C D7200 is also now superior to the D800 DRwise and may in fact be one of the best options for landscape considering the extended DoF its smaller sensor provides all other things being equal.
Cheers,
Bernard

Why I really hope there will be a D9300 or whatever the rumor mill names it now that is supposed to have a new DX sensor in a D810 type body with 8fps.  Basically a D300 replacement only 5 years late!

Ray

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 10:42:01 pm »

The D810 still improves significantly on this when used at ISO64.

The APS-C D7200 is also now superior to the D800 DRwise and may in fact be one of the best options for landscape considering the extended DoF its smaller sensor provides all other things being equal. Combined with a Sigma 35mm f1.4 it may be one of the best stitching solution available. Note to myself, need to consider this seriously. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard,
Have you compared the graphs for the D7200 and D800 on the DXOMark website?

At equal print size, the DR of the D7200 is approximately equal to that of the D800, but SNR at 18% grey is on average about one full stop worse than that of the D800, at all ISOs.

'Color sensitivity' and 'tonal range' values for the D7200 are also slightly worse than those for the D800.

However, I agree that in circumstances where specific combinations of shutter speed and DoF are critical for the desired result, for hand-held shots and/or moving subjects, then the advantage of being able to use a full stop wider aperture with the D7200, for same DoF, with consequent lower ISO at the same shutter speed, results in the D7200 having a DR advantage, and no disadvantage in respect of SNR at 18%, tonal range and color sensitivity.

Unfortunately, there will always be circumstances where the 36mp of the D800 will have a desired resolution advantage for some of us, and such circumstances will not likely be ideal for stitching multiple shots if shutter speed is a concern due to subject movement.

Nevertheless, the D7200 will have its own resolution advantages in circumstances where the crop factor increases equivalent focal length. On balance, the D7200 might be the better option, taking everything into consideration.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:45:48 pm by Ray »

Deardorff

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 10:01:29 am »

I have seen the Fred Miranda tests. Am looking for D810 if possible with direct comparisons.

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 10:27:03 am »

Slobodan, the comparison you posted has interpolations on the 5D3 and no interpolation on the D800 to try to normalize resolution between the 22 MP Canon and 36 MP Nikon. So the resolution part of the exam isn't really comparable.

However the shadow recovery comparison is enough to make any Canon fangirl cry  :'(

I have taken to over-exposing every shot that doesn't have outright highlight clipping (Michael's ETTR) - it helps some. I would love the Sony Exmor sensor in a Canon body, because I don't like dinky cameras, they don't feel right in the hand. However, I keep thinking about getting the upcoming Sony A7r II plus adapter, primarily for tripod use, where poor ergonomics don't matter..

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:06 am »

I have seen the Fred Miranda tests. Am looking for D810 if possible with direct comparisons.

The difference is even bigger, so what exactly are you trying to see and to what end!?

spidermike

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 11:00:26 am »

Slobodan, the comparison you posted has interpolations on the 5D3 and no interpolation on the D800 to try to normalize resolution between the 22 MP Canon and 36 MP Nikon. So the resolution part of the exam isn't really comparable.

As the article says....isn't that how real life works.
If you want to print at any size (letter, 20x18 or 6 feet across) you will use whatever the D800 gives you then you will interpolate the 5D3 (or, more exactly, interpolate it more) to get the same image. You wouldn't bin pixels fromthe D800 simply to print it. So this is a 'real life use' scenario not a theoretical one.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 11:06:53 am »

... So the resolution part of the exam isn't really comparable...

It never is, as you either have to downsample or downsample. More megapixels would always print bigger though, other things being equal.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 01:20:09 pm »

I can do a practical D810 to 1DX comparison for you,  but  how are you defining medium and high ISO ranges?

obviously the D810 will beat the 1DX for both file resolution and the 1DX will beat the D810 at higher ISOs, firing rate, etc.

The real question is , what kind of photography are you interested in doing and how will it be reproduced?

dwswager

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »

I can do a practical D810 to 1DX comparison for you,  but  how are you defining medium and high ISO ranges?

obviously the D810 will beat the 1DX for both file resolution and the 1DX will beat the D810 at higher ISOs, firing rate, etc.

The real question is , what kind of photography are you interested in doing and how will it be reproduced?

And a $2,300 difference to spend on lenses, trips, etc.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 09:52:51 pm »

How he chooses to spend his money is his business, isn't it? if he is professional, what if the abilities of the extra $2300 makes him $23,000 that the other camera wouldn't?

Cayman

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 10:39:53 pm »

Those shadow noise comparisons are pretty striking!   I have the D810 and 5D Mark II and it makes me reconsider ordering the 5DS R.    I have more than 10K in Canon lenses, but perhaps they are better sold off..  It would be nice if Nikon would up their lens game a bit.   Lenses like the 400/2.8 show they can match/top Canon when they choose to.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »

"It would be nice if Nikon would up their lens game a bit."

Can you be more specific as to which lenses whereyou think Nikon is weaker than Canon?   Can where you thin the Nikons are weak, are those lenses yo actually use/ Granted Nikon currently doesn't a 17mm Tilt/Shift (I'd settle for Shift only), an 11-24mm zoom, or an 8-16mm fisheye zoom, but other than that I think the two companies are pretty much neck and neck across the range - with one very real exception for me: there is no current 135mm f/2 Nikkor.   

Cayman

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 11:06:32 pm »

"It would be nice if Nikon would up their lens game a bit."

Can you be more specific as to which lenses whereyou think Nikon is weaker than Canon?   Can where you thin the Nikons are weak, are those lenses yo actually use/ Granted Nikon currently doesn't a 17mm Tilt/Shift (I'd settle for Shift only), an 11-24mm zoom, or an 8-16mm fisheye zoom, but other than that I think the two companies are pretty much neck and neck across the range - with one very real exception for me: there is no current 135mm f/2 Nikkor.  

The 24 TSE II (I have) and the 17 TSE (I want) are the main reasons for sticking with Canon.   The 70-200 II (I have) seems superior to the Nikon version.   I am also very fond of my 85 1.2, although not for landscape uses.  My Canon 35 1.4 seems very close to what I could get with the Sigma 35 1.4 Art which seems to have better sharpness but worse bokeh.   My Canon 100L IS macro is also quite useful.  The 11-24 is very interesting, a very difficult lens to use at 11mm, but I am starting to see a few people take shots at 11mm I would be proud of.

My internal debate is between getting the 5DS R, using it for situations where limited dynamic range is not an issue, versus just abandoning Canon under the rationale that two systems is not cost effective.   I am already dealing with stitching, focus stacking and time blending.  Adding exposure bracketing, that the Nikon would not need, does not seem like a lot of fun.  Mostly my Canon gear is collecting dust  as I am using the D810 14-24 and Sigma 50 Art.   I do much prefer the ergonomics of the D810 to the 5D Mark II.  Perhaps the 5DS R will get me using the Canon equipment again.....really don't know.

I am working towards doing a landscape gallery show and am looking to be able to print rather large.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:50:50 pm by Cayman »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up