Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tokina 12-24  (Read 5309 times)

DarkPenguin

Tokina 12-24
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:12:52 pm »

I needed to buy a new garage door opener today.  Instead I came home with a tokina 12-24 f4.

As I spent exactly 16 seconds looking at the lens before buying it (Seriously.  I couldn't have spent less time looking at it if it was in the "impulse buy" area by the cashier at target.) I thought I'd ask if anyone has used one.  It is intended to replace my 15mm FE and ptlens combo.

Seems nice.  Nice build.  The AF/MF clutch is odd.  Pictures of my desk look fine.  I have an obligatory cat photo.  Haven't had it out in the sun.

So, this thing worth crap?  Or should I have gone with a canon 10-22 or a sigma 10-20?

If it keeps raining before it starts to snow my Vue should have a nice layer of ice an inch thick by morning.  Maybe I'll get that garage door opener, courtesy the irs, next month.

And so far in Donnie Darko (my other non garage door related buy today) I have to say that Frank is pretty creepy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:13:42 pm by DarkPenguin »

Yakim Peled

Tokina 12-24
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 02:30:43 am »

>> So, this thing worth crap?

As you have it, why don't you test it out and let us know?
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Ray

Tokina 12-24
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 03:09:54 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

More to the point, why didn't you test it before buying it?  Unless you find something seriously and indisputably wrong with the lens, it might be difficult to return it, unless there's a 'no-questions-asked' return policy within a specified (14 day) period, where you are. If there is, I'd test the lens as soon as possible, if I were you.

Hank

Tokina 12-24
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:45:48 am »

Though not using Canon mounts, you can find a comparison of the Tamron with Sigma, Tokina and Nikon versions here.

DarkPenguin

Tokina 12-24
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 10:25:58 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have within certain limits.  But I'm concerned about flare and whatnot.  I do not expect to see the sun for at least a week.  I should be able to check for CA today.

More to the point, why didn't you test it before buying it?  Unless you find something seriously and indisputably wrong with the lens, it might be difficult to return it, unless there's a 'no-questions-asked' return policy within a specified (14 day) period, where you are. If there is, I'd test the lens as soon as possible, if I were you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It wouldn't have been an impulse buy if I thought it out before buying it.

I've 30 days.

Though not using Canon mounts, you can find a comparison of the Tamron with Sigma, Tokina and Nikon versions [a href=\"http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html]here[/url].
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!

Ray

Tokina 12-24
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 08:26:31 pm »

It wouldn't have been an impulse buy if I thought it out before buying it.

I've 30 days.
Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In that case do all the impulse buying you like   . 30 Days is sufficient to do all the testing that's necessary, and a lot more testing than would be possible in the shop.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Tokina 12-24
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 09:18:10 am »

I only wish that Tokina had made this lens with a Minolta mount. The Pop Photography review makes this the best of the bunch on a cost/benefit equation. The K-M 11-18 leaves a gap from 18 to 24 with my 24-85 lens. It's ironic that one of the reviewers mentions that Tokina's finish reminds him of earlier Nikon zooms. It has been widely rumoured that Tokina provided the early Nikon zooms. So it stands to reason that Tokina is capable of manufacturing high quality lenses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up