Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works  (Read 283542 times)

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works
« Reply #440 on: October 02, 2015, 11:21:04 am »

many images I felt at the time looked good I can't stand having my name associated with now.

I feel like this applies to me as well. The more I see some of my old photos, the more I dislike them.
Instagram (updated often)

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #441 on: October 02, 2015, 11:20:06 pm »

My fiancé is a food and beverage photographer

Joe, what is your fiancé's website, I would like to visit it.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

BobDavid

« Reply #442 on: October 03, 2015, 06:46:18 am »

Joe, you are on the road to success so long as you keep shooting. I do see used M-Line Arcas come up on occasion. It's a great camera.

Rob C

« Reply #443 on: October 03, 2015, 11:59:30 am »

This one for the Tennent's Lager Centenary round-the-world calendar. Recent, as in 80s!

Partly fun...

Rob C

Model: Suzi, who also did Lichfield's Sicily '82 Unipart.

Nikon F or F2, Kodachrome 64 Pro

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:02:53 pm by Rob C »

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #444 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:24 am »

Rob, Beautiful image, Beautiful model.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Rob C

« Reply #445 on: October 05, 2015, 11:26:20 am »

Rob, Beautiful image, Beautiful model.

Thank you, Antonio; there used to be quite a lot of them (beautiful) floating around the London agencies at the time. The one's I invited to castings were "Page 3" models (happy to do topless etc.) and mainly quite fun to be around. I didn't run into really temperamental ones at all with calendars, but some of the fashion girls were sometimes a bit iffy... which wasn't surprising when so many of the clothes that we had to shoot were far too big for them - nobody comes out smelling of roses on those occassions.

One good thing about digital: I would have been able to figure out, today, which lens I had used! I can't decide what the hell it was done with - I think 4/200mm but doubt that because there seems to be too much DOF. I know I was consciously trying to introduce some colour blur, and the longer the lens the better it can work for that sort of thing.

Again, thanks for the nice post, I really need something like that because I was up all night throwing up and haven't eaten anything at all today (5.30p.m.) just gulped tea and water. I suppose it was food poisoning, but if it was, then as I made the last meal I can't very well can't sue anybody! ;-) Anyway, I'm sure I have a temperature right now, but I suppose it'll pass by mañana.

Rob

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #446 on: October 05, 2015, 11:35:44 am »

We recently completed this two day assignment for a local design firm. The project is a new brochure for a real estate management firm and they wanted to showcase various neighborhoods in Chicago.  It was a VERY different way of working for me.  Totally off the cuff. I used the A7rII mostly with the Canon 17-40 and 70-200.  We made about 950 images over 20 hours. I edited these down to 100 and now the agency has to pick their favorite 30.  Here are a few of mine...

-CB

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #447 on: October 05, 2015, 11:37:45 am »

Thank you, Antonio; there used to be quite a lot of them (beautiful) floating around the London agencies at the time. The one's I invited to castings were "Page 3" models (happy to do topless etc.) and mainly quite fun to be around. I didn't run into really temperamental ones at all with calendars, but some of the fashion girls were sometimes a bit iffy... which wasn't surprising when so many of the clothes that we had to shoot were far too big for them - nobody comes out smelling of roses on those occassions.

One good thing about digital: I would have been able to figure out, today, which lens I had used! I can't decide what the hell it was done with - I think 4/200mm but doubt that because there seems to be too much DOF. I know I was consciously trying to introduce some colour blur, and the longer the lens the better it can work for that sort of thing.

Again, thanks for the nice post, I really need something like that because I was up all night throwing up and haven't eaten anything at all today (5.30p.m.) just gulped tea and water. I suppose it was food poisoning, but if it was, then as I made the last meal I can't very well can't sue anybody! ;-) Anyway, I'm sure I have a temperature right now, but I suppose it'll pass by mañana.

Rob

Rob, hope you get well. Leave drama for photography only. Tomorrow you'll be fine!
ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #448 on: October 06, 2015, 06:57:32 am »

We recently completed this two day assignment for a local design firm. The project is a new brochure for a real estate management firm and they wanted to showcase various neighborhoods in Chicago.  It was a VERY different way of working for me.  Totally off the cuff. I used the A7rII mostly with the Canon 17-40 and 70-200.  We made about 950 images over 20 hours. I edited these down to 100 and now the agency has to pick their favorite 30.  Here are a few of mine...

-CB

Downtown Chicago is so nice, and clean.  Although I am partial to the architecture in NYC, the many miles of scaffolding can really ruin great shots sometimes.  Insofar as architecture, I feel Chicago is the most photogenic. 

The winters are way too serious for me though! 

Thanks Chris. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #449 on: October 06, 2015, 09:56:07 am »

Chris, nice images! I very much like the way your printing style/look works to produce an atmosphere.

How did it feel for you, going free and not to a 'plan'?

Also, I'm going a bit nuts looking into the window shot of the two women and the mannequin: how come there's pattern over 'her' face when it should, logically, be behind her? Having a liking for doing such shots myself, I shouldn't question it, but I can't avoid thinking I'm missing something very, very evident!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »

Hi Rob,

I mentioned this earlier in this forum and do it again: You are a true artist. The beauty of this girl shines even if she fills only a very small area of the image. You show only little of the face, shoulders and little of the leg. The rest is done by the imagination of the viewer. You can tell, she is a beauty - she needs no Photoshop treatment. This is perfect. Thank you. I admire your work.

Best,
Johannes

Well, thank you very much, Johannes.

For pix to look much, it takes both sides of the camera to be in tune, and that's why I used to fight my corner to try and get the girls that I felt had it. On this shoot, the last that I did for the company in a series of six or seven, she was the only real model, as in 'experienced'. For admin./political purposes that I never understood, the decision had been made to use all-Glasgow girls, and when I objected and complained about the lack of experience they would have, I was told well, you'll just have to work harder, then, won't you. Just shows how little some decision makers understand about the medium they make decisions about. This was sprung on me after I'd already booked this girl in London, so they couldn't screw everything up.

Opportunity of a lifetime sabotaged. For all of us involved. Not hard to figure why some photographers end up taking themselves out.

Rob C

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »

Opportunity of a lifetime sabotaged. For all of us involved. Not hard to figure why some photographers end up taking themselves out.

Rob C

How did you manage it with inexperienced models? I've been thrown in a few shootings last year, but always felt the models considered themselves "pro" simply because they were charging money for it. One in particular was pretty much like a doll, we had to tell her everything otherwise she would freeze in the last pose she did. Very little collaboration, it was extremely onesided and frustrating most of the time.

Rob C

« Reply #452 on: October 06, 2015, 03:08:12 pm »

How did you manage it with inexperienced models? I've been thrown in a few shootings last year, but always felt the models considered themselves "pro" simply because they were charging money for it. One in particular was pretty much like a doll, we had to tell her everything otherwise she would freeze in the last pose she did. Very little collaboration, it was extremely onesided and frustrating most of the time.

How did I manage it? I don't think that I did. I handed in pictures at the end of it all, and showed the completed production to nobody. In fact, I didn't even handle the production - for the first time it went to another company doing different promotional stuff for the client. As memory serves, there were three pages devoted to that London girl, the rest I'd rather forget. As bad, I never got back my trannies and have next to nothing left from that Singapore leg of the shoot. I only have left what I didn't offer... perhaps I already felt where it was going, could smell the drain.

The problem was, as with your experience, some thought it enough to have been paid for a couple of gigs, and that made you a pro, pretty much as it seems to be the case now with some photographers. In fairness, those 'local' girls never had the opportunities to develop their craft, but writing that may simply be myself trying hard to be kind. I began with a few girls from the Glasgow Drama College where I'd spoken with the management and asked to be allowed to put up a small gallery (exaggeration! a few prints!) in the foyer. As I wasn't looking for money, it suited both sides and I got some nice stuff from one or two girls. Later on, once I was out on my own (it was during the pirate radio era), a commercial on Radio Scotland advertised a new model agency set up by Clem Bettany. I went to see her, and we fixed some test shots of some girls.

It was the best photo favour that I gave myself: one evening, into the studio walked this girl with a pile of clothes and accessories, and we got to work. It was instantaneous. She just had it, in spades. She became my muse and we did everything together that I could offer her, clients willing, and the truth, which I will always be perfectly willing to admit, is that we taught each other all we ever learned about the business of models/photographers. I never found another to replace her input. She just understood images. We'd work together even without clients, just for the hell of it. You can't buy that. Yes, it was totally platonic.

But inevitably, time moves on, folks age, get married, have kids; after the cals arrived I was able to use London exclusively as a model source, and you can never go backwards on that one.

Rob

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #453 on: October 06, 2015, 04:00:51 pm »

Thanks for sharing your experience!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #454 on: October 07, 2015, 02:33:39 pm »

Here are a few more still life images I put together.  I was going for more of a brighter window light kind of feel. 

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #455 on: October 08, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »

Some more calendar Kodachrome. Nikon.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #456 on: October 17, 2015, 03:46:13 pm »

Another one on Nikon, with 2.8/35 Nikkor, Kodachrome 64 Pro.

For a Tennent's Lager calendar, where the orignal brief had been to do it in 'painterly' manner. Tickled to bits at the thought of trying something grainy and softer than usual, free from tripods, I took the client the Sarah Moon '72 (?) Pirelli to see, which was the most 'painterly' work I'd seen a photographer make. Client almost had a heart event. Not what was meant at all... We did it normally.

C'est la vie, or c'est la guerre!

Rob C

The shawl belonged to my grandmother; it was either Italian or Spanish, probably the latter.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:48:49 pm by Rob C »

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #457 on: October 17, 2015, 05:16:45 pm »

Rob it came out just amazing.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #458 on: October 17, 2015, 06:25:24 pm »

Rob,

Your calendar work is really stunning.
If Playboy had any brains, they would hire you and pay for all your expenses including models.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #459 on: October 18, 2015, 04:48:29 am »

Antonio, Eric: thank you very much! Now make me viral within Playboy's offices and you never know! ;-)

Seriously, though, if it works, it does so because, for me, glamour was always nothing more than the logical extension of my fashion work. In the end, if not the beginning, you simply have to love and respect women as equal and often very superior beings to us males. Showing their pretty bits isn't anything to do with 'demeaning'; more, and particularly because none of these girls is forced to participate, it's a very real celebration of the happiness that they often feel within and about themselves.

That doesn't make them any the less prone to all the doubts and questions that plague the rest of us blessed/cursed with any sense of self, just that if God gave you something extra, why be shy about it?

As Cooter would sign off: IMO!

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27   Go Up