Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works  (Read 283402 times)

Jens_Langen

Re: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works
« Reply #380 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:17 pm »

Thanks for your considered response Joe. I'll be sure to check out your blog.

BobDavid

« Reply #381 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:27 pm »

Damn Craig, I was so ready to use the shot without the ice cube, now ...   :D

Jim, I am not sure if I agree with you, but I do consider that to be a valid opinion.  I will have to mull it over for a few days.  My idea behind that shot was to try to create an appealing bath tray for a man.  We so often see what would appeal to a woman, but if I were to relax for an hour in a bath, what would I want.  (FYI, I am not a heavy cigar smoker, maybe once or twice a year I'll indulge, but I do enjoy a good bourbon.)  

I would love to do a shot involving just cigars and bourbon, but a good box of cigars is damn expensive and I can not return them.  If anyone wants to lend me a box, let me know.   ;D

Well here are some more.  By the way, I am totally new to this and is my first attempt at still life, so, honestly, I have no idea what I am doing.  Defiantly much different then architecture, especially since I have to create all the light, not just prop up and/or enhance ambient.  Any tips would be much appreciated.  

if you want to build a portfolio to get work shooting tabletop photos, think about finding a stylist. Even if you end up having to pay someone, it will be worth it. Art directors, art buyers, etc. are picky, very picky. Now if you are doing this for fun, just keep doing what you are doing. You'll acquire new skills to apply to your architectural work. Either way, it's a win-win.

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #382 on: September 01, 2015, 03:26:29 am »

Here's a recent shot of The Kern River Band from Kernville, Ca. where we shot this on the dobro player's 380 acre ranch. Old time cowboy music and they not only sound great but everyone looks the part, including Duke, who looked right where I told him to.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #383 on: September 01, 2015, 08:31:09 am »

Here's a recent shot of The Kern River Band from Kernville, Ca. where we shot this on the dobro player's 380 acre ranch. Old time cowboy music and they not only sound great but everyone looks the part, including Duke, who looked right where I told him to.

That is great.  Love the light, and how you even got the dog to look at the camera. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

pfigen

« Reply #384 on: September 01, 2015, 05:15:05 pm »

Thanks Joe. Duke would pretty much look wherever you told him to. Better than most of the trained Hollywood set animals I've worked with. Knows about snakes too.

pfigen

« Reply #385 on: September 02, 2015, 03:32:54 am »

Here's one more interesting shot. Hand held. Auto everything. Lit by the arc. I was leaning on my elbows. Framed it up approximately. Told him to start and as soon as he struck an arc, I shut my eyes and hammered down until the buffer filled - about forty shots. Rinse and repeat about ten times. Second shot are some sort of tube that becomes part of an airplane. They just told me to make something interesting with them. Thirty-seven focus slices later...

BobDavid

« Reply #386 on: September 02, 2015, 10:04:57 am »

Creepy times with birds on a shoal...

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #387 on: September 03, 2015, 01:29:30 pm »

One of my furniture clients is getting into shooting more "case study" type imagery that has a more editorial feel.  I think they were concerned that I wouldn't be able to shoot 'messy'.  So, I put together this little portfolio, which is probably about as messy as I'll ever get...

http://christopherbarrett.net/portfolio_page/case-studies/

-CB
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:31:25 pm by Chris Barrett »

fredjeang2

« Reply #388 on: September 03, 2015, 02:25:25 pm »

One of my furniture clients is getting into shooting more "case study" type imagery that has a more editorial feel.  I think they were concerned that I wouldn't be able to shoot 'messy'.  So, I put together this little portfolio, which is probably about as messy as I'll ever get...

-CB

Oh boy!! CB pics are really good, as always. But man, how can people work into such clean, deshumanized, cold, depressing environements, where of course nobody smokes, nor drink nor get dates ?!
Each time I see CB's pics of those working buildings, I got the same depre sensation. It's not CB, it's the arquitects.
I love emptyness and minimalism, but those are just the reflection of a politically correct and boring society.
Look at our politicians now...there are the perfect reflection of this: they are grey. You could replace them by anyone else.
Get rid of one of those glass buildings in the city and nobody will notice it, then replace it by others similar glass building with the same grey people, full of plastic water machine distribuitors and endless
corridors that go nowhere...scary!!  

You know what CB? I'd like you to do a trip to Napoles one year, and shoot the "dirty".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:28:26 pm by fredjeang2 »

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:39 pm »

One of my furniture clients is getting into shooting more "case study" type imagery that has a more editorial feel.  I think they were concerned that I wouldn't be able to shoot 'messy'.  So, I put together this little portfolio, which is probably about as messy as I'll ever get...

-CB

Wow!
Instagram (updated often)

Chris Barrett

« Reply #390 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:44 pm »

Oh, Fred... thanks for your comments (in the Fred way).  I don't share your sentiment for minimalist architecture, but I can appreciate anyone who stands by their views.  Honestly, I'm not sure how good I would be with 'traditional' architecture.  I'm not sure if my eye could be properly calibrated.  I do appreciate it, though, which is why I bought one of the oldest houses in my area.  Not old by European standards, but at 130 years, I feel like it's got a little history anyway.

Cheers!
CB

fredjeang2

« Reply #391 on: September 05, 2015, 05:14:44 am »

Nice to read you Chris.
I must admit, my rejection to the office buildings
Is quite irrational.
It comes from long ago, when I was young in Paris
And studdying in fine arts, I found one of those part time
Jobs for studdents to make extra money in a company
Named Sanofy. (they own some big perfume names).

At that time, the company was located in the Champs Elysee,
In a very chic building and I could go walking from home,
Passing by Trocadero etc...Paris glamour, Paris naughty,
Nice walk, nice boutiques etc...

Then, for cost reasons, they delocated in the subburbs in one
Of those huge buildings. It tooked 2 hours to reach there,
And instead of the boutiques, huggly subburbian's houses and grey people. Long corridors, glass windows everywhere
And depressed secretaries. Not one bar outside but just the
Company's cafe (if that could be name a such)...horrible!

Since then, I started to get an irrational rejection to any kind
Of office building. Lol.

In Europe, particularly in Europe (post war), the subburbs have
Been absolutly deshumanized by bad arquitecture decisions.
What has to be nice were the downtowns but they completly
Screw it in the urbanistic plans for new areas. Now it has changed but 50 years of dammage aren't easy to erradicate.
Go to Paris, the downtown is spectacular, but drive a mile away
And it's just shocking, hugly.
I beleive in the US you did it better on that aspect.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:24:01 am by fredjeang2 »

Chris Barrett

« Reply #392 on: September 05, 2015, 11:31:56 am »

iPhone 5?  Seriously?  The sensor in my S6 Edge is sooo much better.  More dynamic range, sharper... it just has that '3-d' look.  It's so much more professional.  Any pro worth their salt is shooting on Samsung.  Have you even looked at the MTF charts or DXo?

Get your shit together, Cooter.

fredjeang2

« Reply #393 on: September 05, 2015, 03:09:55 pm »

I looked at the Samsungs but refuse to get a gmail account.

BC

Lol!...me too!
but the worse is Whatsapp!! I use BlackBerry instead.

gmail+facebook+whatsapp rocks!...in the subburbs ;D

ps: nice shot on the phone. By the way, the look reminds a bit the film you shooted with Red with the musician. Apart from the grain (actually quite nice), they could match.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:14:08 pm by fredjeang2 »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #394 on: September 05, 2015, 04:58:15 pm »

I looked at the Samsungs but refuse to get a gmail account.
BC

Who is skynet....Google or Apple?
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #395 on: September 05, 2015, 05:19:49 pm »

Yeah, I didn't like how omnipresent Apple was becoming, which was a big part of my switch after 7 years on iPhone

JoeKitchen

« Reply #396 on: September 06, 2015, 08:22:01 am »

I don't know.   They're all probably the same.

Maybe I should wear a tin foil hat, but . . .

I just figured that Google is in the information selling business and Apple is in the sell you only apple stuff business.  I could be wrong.

The web is a mess and last week I've had to hire an internet tech company to find out why when someone googles our studio's name it goes to another photographer's site, not just the studio but our personal names.

Could be something fishy, could just be google  . . . who knows, though these guys I've hired say they can find out and it ticks me off so I'm determined to find out who, what, why and take action.

IMO

BC

I actually noticed this with your site. 

Could be a range of things; maybe they are more up and in the know on SEO then you.  For instance I always name my images using SEO terms for my genre; no one sees the names so why not.  Also my SEO terms are part of the metadata for any image I post and I always end the description of my images as "architectural photography by architectural photographer..."

Or ... 

I know a photographer who did the right thing and helped out a younger guy starting out.  Months later he found out he was under balling the market by more than 50% of what he recommended he should change and copied his entire website metadata to his own site, which is easy to look up for any website. 

But anyway, good luck with figuring that out. 

Over and out of the hotel room, & back to roming Rome. 

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #397 on: September 06, 2015, 05:04:49 pm »

If any of you ever end up in Caserta, below Rome and near Naples, I'll show you around!
Instagram (updated often)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #398 on: September 07, 2015, 07:40:26 am »

Thanks BC and Razrblack.  Rome is great along with Venice, which we stayed at too. 

Kind of torn on which I like better though.  Photogenically Rome is great, but Venice is magical.  However I have to wonder how developed Venice's economy is beyond tourism?  Not to mention opperating a commercial studio, moving equipment around and shipping/receiving in a city where you either boat or walk would be ... interesting.  Rome is a living breathing modern city. 

My, now, fiancĂ©e and I would like to get a base in Europe, especially since our businesses are such that we do not need to hussle 24/7 to eat.  She is a food/drink photographer, so we do not know where to look at.  Pretty much may come down to Paris or Rome. London is to damp/foggy and Germany, well the food is pretty damn good, but it ain't damn pretty.  (I know a Duetschlander is reading this and thinking I'm wrong.).

We may do stock Europe trip next summer. 

K.C.

« Reply #399 on: September 07, 2015, 08:58:17 pm »

The team I hired will get me up to speed quick on SEO and get to the bottom of what's going on.  I don't want to accuse anyone yet, but we'll find out in a few days.

The key to SEO these days is....wait for it.... Google analytics. Once you go down that rabbit hole it's never the same. They change the algorithms for site listings and it's a back and forth juggle with updating your site and running the current GA code.

For as long as you've been on the Web you shouldn't be having any problems. But then if Google left things alone there wouldn't be any money to make with Google analytics.

You meta tags look good. There's no reason you should have had a problem unless someone intentionally highjacked your site.

<meta charset='utf-8'/>
<meta name='keywords' content="James Russell, Ann Rutherford, Russell Rutherford, Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, Paris, Fashion, Advertising, Sports, Photography, Films, Motion, Still">
<meta name='description' content="The Photography and Films James Russell   Ann Rutherford - Studios in Los Angeles, New York, Dallas and Paris">
<meta property='og:title' content="The Photography and Films of James Russell and Ann Rutherford"/>
<meta property='og:type' content="image"/>
<meta property='og:url' content="http://www.russellrutherfordphoto.com/"/>
<meta property='og:image' content="http://www.russellrutherfordphoto.com/media/thumb/?w=300&h=200&f=final_v4_sf_with girl.jpg"/>
<meta property='og:site_name' content="The Photography and Films of James Russell and Ann Rutherford"/>
<meta property='og:description' content="The Photography and Films James Russell   Ann Rutherford - Studios in Los Angeles, New York, Dallas and Paris"/>
<link rel='canonical' href='http://www.russellrutherfordphoto.com//'/>
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27   Go Up