Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works  (Read 283385 times)

andyptak

Re: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works
« Reply #360 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:00 am »

Jesus!

How did you get that look on the car while keeping everything else within normal tones?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:11 am »

Well at least there is a house in the background to satisfy the architecture "requirement"  :P

Hyundai HCD-16 Vision G Coupe concept car on display at a home in Pebble Beach, CA

Very nicely done.
Craig Lamson Photo

MJSPhoto

• Morgan J Segal Photography
« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2015, 05:52:34 pm »

Jesus!

How did you get that look on the car while keeping everything else within normal tones?

Thanks. It's a mix of available and light painting using an LED wand. Also the very expensive paint job on the car is a titanium silver that has a lot of depth to it. And a lot of Photoshop  ;)
Camera was a D810 with a Nikkor 85 1.4 @F11

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:57:02 pm by MJSPhoto »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2015, 11:25:03 am »

African Black Soap anyone?  

Been putting together a home product portfolio and shot this last night.  Not exactly professional works, but not exactly pick up the camera and go with it either.  Used one light with lots of bounce cards, black cards, diffusion gels and shinny metal thingies to reflect light.  

PS. In case anyone is interested, here is an image of the setup.  

PSS. In the setup shot you can see half a boom arm with a sand bag that did have a strobe and soft box attached to the other end.  However, this light was not being use; I was using the Profoto Narrow Beam Reflector positioned about 10 feet from set.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:03:26 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:36 am »

Fabulous, Joe, absolutely fabulous! Thanks for the setup photo too.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2015, 12:08:05 pm »

Fabulous, Joe, absolutely fabulous! Thanks for the setup photo too.

Thanks Slobodan! 

I have been incorporating Ad Firms into whom I market to lately and thought it would be good to put together a home product portfolio.  Hope to have a separate portfolio up on my site soon.  I have been finding this genre to be a fun and nice, but not a too far, departure from architecture and interiors. 

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2015, 12:20:28 pm »

African Black Soap anyone?  

Been putting together a home product portfolio and shot this last night.  Not exactly professional works, but not exactly pick up the camera and go with it either.  Used one light with lots of bounce cards, black cards, diffusion gels and shinny metal thingies to reflect light.  

PS. In case anyone is interested, here is an image of the setup.  

PSS. In the setup shot you can see half a boom arm with a sand bag that did have a strobe and soft box attached to the other end.  However, this light was not being use; I was using the Profoto Narrow Beam Reflector positioned about 10 feet from set.

Beautiful lighting.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2015, 04:00:37 pm »

Thanks Dave and Sharon. 

Insofar as the ice cube, I am not sure.  I captured one without the ice cube and may ultimately use that version.  My girlfriend is a food and beverage photographer and thought it was a nice touch.  However, I do agree, it may be too bright, drawing attention from the soap. 

Here it is; let me know what you think. 

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #368 on: August 29, 2015, 12:47:03 am »

Nice work Joe.

I like the cube as it tells you exactly what the drink is, thus adds a bit of romance to the image.
However, I`d vote for sans icecube as it is too dominating.  Perhaps a smaller one would have done the trick for me - or two or three pieces of crushed ice.

Great work though.

AL
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #369 on: August 29, 2015, 04:20:12 am »

I'm no expert, Joe, but the new version emphasizes the soap more. Both are beautiful shots.

As well as the disappearance of the ice cube, there's a subtle change in the way the lettering on the soap is lit. I think it's an improvement.

Jeremy

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #370 on: August 29, 2015, 10:23:40 am »

Thanks Dave and Sharon. 

Insofar as the ice cube, I am not sure.  I captured one without the ice cube and may ultimately use that version.  My girlfriend is a food and beverage photographer and thought it was a nice touch.  However, I do agree, it may be too bright, drawing attention from the soap. 

Here it is; let me know what you think. 

I'll be contrary, I prefer the ice cube in.  I love the warm color of the ice, and it fits the scene.  To my mind, the empty glass simply does not complete the story.

But kudos on the light.  Very nicely crafted.
Craig Lamson Photo

BobDavid

« Reply #371 on: August 30, 2015, 01:56:49 am »

night sky, Siesta Key

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #372 on: August 30, 2015, 04:14:16 am »

Hello everyone! After a few months lurking I finally decided to make an account, as this place seems the more sane to talk about photography. Watching all the awesome works posted here has been a great source of inspiration and motivation to better myself, so I have to thank you all!

I was recently visiting one of my younger cousins, as he opened a farm holidays restaurant late last year and wanted to give him a hand. I'm still an amateur as photography is not my main source of income, but this time we decided to make it official and I approached this task as a proper job. The place sure helped make nice images.

Wide angle shots have been taken with a Nikon D7000 and Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, while food shots have been done with a Nikon D200 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 or Nikon 50 f/1.4D. That is pretty much all I have right now and I'm trying to make it count.

I can't get myself to sell that D200 camera, I love the CCD colors too much!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:17:33 am by razrblck »
Instagram (updated often)

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #373 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:53 am »

Joe, I thought I'd chime in because to me this picture is telling two different stories.  The design and light look great (really great) but for this picture to be successful it has to tell a story that communicates immediately.  The flower, soap and tray work well together, the flask, cigars and glass work well together but I think that all those items don't belong together.  Personally, I would try to find props that will compliment the flower and soap and reshoot it, it would have some potential as a sample for the hospitality industry that you'd like to work in.  Jim

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #374 on: August 30, 2015, 09:22:00 am »

Razrbick, I think these shots are ok.  The light is nice but I'd back off a bit on the more extreme wide angle draw.  Also try correcting the perspective on the room shots, as well as, any barrel distortion.  Jim

JoeKitchen

« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:42 am »

Damn Craig, I was so ready to use the shot without the ice cube, now ...   :D

Jim, I am not sure if I agree with you, but I do consider that to be a valid opinion.  I will have to mull it over for a few days.  My idea behind that shot was to try to create an appealing bath tray for a man.  We so often see what would appeal to a woman, but if I were to relax for an hour in a bath, what would I want.  (FYI, I am not a heavy cigar smoker, maybe once or twice a year I'll indulge, but I do enjoy a good bourbon.)  

I would love to do a shot involving just cigars and bourbon, but a good box of cigars is damn expensive and I can not return them.  If anyone wants to lend me a box, let me know.   ;D

Well here are some more.  By the way, I am totally new to this and is my first attempt at still life, so, honestly, I have no idea what I am doing.  Defiantly much different then architecture, especially since I have to create all the light, not just prop up and/or enhance ambient.  Any tips would be much appreciated.  

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:01:17 pm by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #376 on: August 31, 2015, 10:23:14 am »

Razrbick, overall the images are good, however it looks like you were moving a little fast.  Next time slow down and really pay attention to what you are doing, making sure everything is placed well.  Don't be afraid to move things or get ride of something completely. 

Doing this will also force you to think about your images as well.  For example, the image looking over the picnic table onto the mountains in the background was a really strong idea.  You can sit back, enjoy the view while having something to eat.  However, the table blocks much of the view.  If you kept the camera in the same relative place and moved the table back, so the other end was in the shadow, and placed the bowl at that end, it would tell the same story, only stronger.  Most of the image would be of the view, but there would be a small amount of the table to convey the idea of eating and relaxing. 

I also agree with Jim on super wide shots.  I know the tendency at first is to shoot super wide and cover our eyes' entire visual field.  In reality though, we only pay attention to our binocular view, so an image wider then that usually looks odd.  On a 35mm DSLR, a 24mm lens covers our binocular view and is about as wide as I usually prefer to go. 

Do you have any lights?  If not, you should get a strobe, maybe two, and start fooling around with them. 

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #377 on: August 31, 2015, 11:24:44 am »

Razrbick, I think these shots are ok.  The light is nice but I'd back off a bit on the more extreme wide angle draw.  Also try correcting the perspective on the room shots, as well as, any barrel distortion.  Jim

Razrbick, overall the images are good, however it looks like you were moving a little fast.  Next time slow down and really pay attention to what you are doing, making sure everything is placed well.  Don't be afraid to move things or get ride of something completely. 

Doing this will also force you to think about your images as well.  For example, the image looking over the picnic table onto the mountains in the background was a really strong idea.  You can sit back, enjoy the view while having something to eat.  However, the table blocks much of the view.  If you kept the camera in the same relative place and moved the table back, so the other end was in the shadow, and placed the bowl at that end, it would tell the same story, only stronger.  Most of the image would be of the view, but there would be a small amount of the table to convey the idea of eating and relaxing. 

I also agree with Jim on super wide shots.  I know the tendency at first is to shoot super wide and cover our eyes' entire visual field.  In reality though, we only pay attention to our binocular view, so an image wider then that usually looks odd.  On a 35mm DSLR, a 24mm lens covers our binocular view and is about as wide as I usually prefer to go. 

Do you have any lights?  If not, you should get a strobe, maybe two, and start fooling around with them. 

Thank you both for the feedback, greatly appreciated!

When I first scouted the place back in December the exterior was still a work in progress. Interiors had much more light coming in, especially at sunset, like in this phone shot.

(The woman in the shot is 1.60m if you want a scale of that place)

I could've really used strobes to push more light inside, and in fact I'm saving up for an Elinchrom kit.

I'll try to work out something better the next time I'll be there, especially on the perspective side. I won't be able to afford tilt lenses anytime soon, so I'll do better perspective corrections in post or use stitching with longer lenses.
Instagram (updated often)

Jens_Langen

« Reply #378 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »

Hey Joe,
I like your kitchen photos very much. Whenever I do this sort of thing, the outside is blown out when exposing for the interior lighting.
Your images have a very natural non-HDR look. May I ask how you achieved this?
Thanks

JoeKitchen

« Reply #379 on: August 31, 2015, 02:28:16 pm »

Hey Joe,
I like your kitchen photos very much. Whenever I do this sort of thing, the outside is blown out when exposing for the interior lighting.
Your images have a very natural non-HDR look. May I ask how you achieved this?
Thanks

Thanks for the compliment.  To achieve the results I do, I really try not to rely on HDR processing, or be too heavy handed with it, and light all of my interiors.  I do layer in faster captures to pull back some of the highlights, but I limit it to a 2, or maybe 3, stop bracket if I can.  I find that HDRing brackets further apart then 2 or 3 stops creates that fake HDR look. 

Also, interior lighting tends to be very dead and flat by design, which is a good thing for living and worker under.  However, for photography, it is pretty bad.  So lighting helps to break up the space and create depth, along with filling in the shadows. 

So, to start, I come up with an idea of what I want the space to look like and try to figure out how much ambient light I need in the photo to get me there.  I find the exposure that will work for the effect I need, which could be long enough to let ambient do most of the work or short enough where ambient only burns in the lightbulbs or windows, and then start adding in lights.  I use many different types of light modifiers, all for different effects and light & shadows.   

I also will gel all of my lights to get the color as consistent as I can, to reduce work in post, which can have the effect of making the image look fake.  I also will gel windows, especially if there is blooming, which I have found is impossible to correct in post. 

Insofar as what I use and when and how, that all comes down to experience, looking over the times I have been successful and the many many times I failed with flying colors.  So, I can not really explain how I know what to do, other then saying I do what makes sense. 

I have a few blog posts on my site where I explain my lighting on specific images more in depth and show how I "built" the image with my test shots.  For a couple, I took the time to draw the lighting diagrams showing where each light was and with what modifier.  You can read more on what I do there. 

By far, HDR photography is the easier process to learn; mastering lighting takes years (and I do not consider myself a master.)  However, lighting, if done right, produces superior results, and allows you to create images most others can not. 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27   Go Up