Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works  (Read 283398 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:11 pm »

Slobodan,

I like the use of the mirror.  Was the exterior done in the early morning?

Yes, I found the mirror god-sent. Provides for a graphic, semi-abstract rendering of an otherwise drab mall corridor. The second shot was at dusk actually.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »

Hi Slobodan,

I like your images, seems that you have a good eye for things. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards
Erik

Yes, I found the mirror god-sent. Provides for a graphic, semi-abstract rendering of an otherwise drab mall corridor. The second shot was at dusk actually.
Erik Kaffehr

David Patterson

« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2015, 01:04:37 pm »

Image from a project this week, shot with my now work horse Actus, A7r and Hassy 40mmCFI. Chris B, you asked a while ago about the 35mm Contax PC, honestly, I have not been using it much, although it's not bad I am preferring to use my Schneider 35xl and deal with less movement and the lcc. I find with the Contax I have more issues with flare from windows, exteriors it works well.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2015, 06:35:44 pm »

Here's one from last winter -- shooting a new retail outlet (Eddie Bauer) 5 days before Christmas Day, in San Francisco's busiest shopping district....so exteriors were, uh, DIFFICULT. Normally I'd go with multiple exposures and plan to blend in areas with no people. In this case, there was a solid crowd of people streaming past, non-stop! Shooting from across the street was pretty much impossible because of the non-stop cars and people crossing in front of me. I moved close, and my assistant tried to go stop folks long enough for me to shoot, but they were coming from like 3 different directions, haha! Eventually he was able to break up the crowd enough for me to get mostly what I needed, and I photoshopped out a few tourists to get the final. Sheesh!

Fortunately, we were able to shoot the interiors during the wee hours of the morning.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2015, 06:37:27 pm »

Image from a project this week, shot with my now work horse Actus, A7r and Hassy 40mmCFI. Chris B, you asked a while ago about the 35mm Contax PC, honestly, I have not been using it much, although it's not bad I am preferring to use my Schneider 35xl and deal with less movement and the lcc. I find with the Contax I have more issues with flare from windows, exteriors it works well.
David, nice. Good seeing people DOING things and not just staring into space or blurrily walking by.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2015, 11:23:37 am »

Here are a couple from a recent project that was kind of a lighting challenge, and a blog post to go along with them
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:20 am »

Hey Joe,

Really great description, and clean images!  Nice work.
Pretty tough to hide all the lights and reflections off glass.  You've done this pretty well I think.
I'm looking at the second one, and also the floor plan....Trying to work out where the wall on the left of frame is...did the floor plan change?

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2015, 12:02:38 pm »

Hey Joe,

Really great description, and clean images!  Nice work.
Pretty tough to hide all the lights and reflections off glass.  You've done this pretty well I think.
I'm looking at the second one, and also the floor plan....Trying to work out where the wall on the left of frame is...did the floor plan change?

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, glad you like them.  

By the way, that is not a wall, it is a support column with wood panels.  It is represented by a plain square in the row of chairs.  Kind of hard to make out though since the chairs are pretty square too.  Overall the architectural design is exactly represented by those plans, but the furniture design did change a bit.  

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2015, 12:08:54 pm »

Right....Got that now. 
Thought it would have been a heavier weighted line.  I wonder if the furniture supplier supplied on extra chair...

I hope the client was there so they could see how much work went in to making these images.

Cheers

JoeKitchen

« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2015, 12:30:55 pm »

Right....Got that now.  
Thought it would have been a heavier weighted line.  I wonder if the furniture supplier supplied on extra chair...

I hope the client was there so they could see how much work went in to making these images.

Cheers

Actually I have been working with this firm for at least 5 years now, and they are one of my best clients, and they have never been to a full shoot.  At most, they meet me there, get me started and leave shortly afterwards, but even that is rare.  Kind of made me nervous when I first started working with them, but now it is kind of no big deal.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:48:29 pm by JoeKitchen »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »

Trust.

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2015, 12:49:02 pm »

Hi Joe, Interesting lighting set up. I tend to like the second image best. I like the symetry and the lighting balance.

I think it should be an interesting discussion topic how people handle equipment loads, rentals, truck rentals and traveling costs.

Do you flight with all your equipment or Fedex it.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2015, 01:33:41 pm »

Hi Joe, Interesting lighting set up. I tend to like the second image best. I like the symetry and the lighting balance.

I think it should be an interesting discussion topic how people handle equipment loads, rentals, truck rentals and traveling costs.

Do you flight with all your equipment or Fedex it.
Thanks Antonio, and I like the 2nd better one too.  I keep on looking at the first and half liking the light from the magnum reflector and half thinking I could have placed it better.   ???

Insofar as travel, I have yet to be hired to shoot a job that would involve flying.  The furtherest I have gone is Cleveland, which is a 7 1/2 hour drive.  I figure I will loose a day getting there and a day getting back if I fly regardless, so if I can get there by car in a day or less, why not drive.  

I have priced out projects that would have required flying, and in those cases I priced out having my equipment shipped.  I did initially look into traveling light and renting what I needed when I got there.  However, all the projects I have priced out like this so far have been for resorts, and resorts tend to be in the middle of nowhere with no adequate rental houses nearby.  

I think Chris would have better advice here since he travels much more than most photographers.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:58:04 pm by JoeKitchen »

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2015, 02:35:55 pm »

Joe thanks for the reply, what I see in the first image is that the center needs more light coming from inside, like if it was its natural ceiling light. In the second image you managed to get it right in that same spot.

It is easier to say than done I know.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:20:02 pm by ACH DIGITAL »
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2015, 08:03:59 pm »

This is generally how we fly... checking 13 bags and carrying on the camera.

American and United (and some other carriers) offer a break for film crews and photographers... $50 a bag.  It usually costs me $1000 round trip just for bags every time we fly.  I believe it would actually be more to ship it
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:05:40 pm by Chris Barrett »

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2015, 08:24:25 pm »

So I head out with a total of 8 pieces, plus a shoulder bag with my laptop and travel documents etc. Southwest and most airlines will honor a card with the word "Media" printed on it (ASMP cards are designed for this purpose) and waive the extra weight fee, so it's safe to assume $50/bag for domestic flights. Usually. I've had ticketing agents argue with me even when I had printouts from their own airline's website with the policy clearly stated.

Anyway, I carry on the camera case and my laptop, my assistant carries on the Filter case and his personal luggage. I "claim" 2 checked bags, and he "claims" 2 (Southwest allows 2, I have Gold-Press Latinum status with AA and BA and Quantas which gets me the same thing) and that means I'm actually only paying for a couple of checked bags. This can largely offset the cost of my PA's ticket, on a domestic flight.

I've got a video with all the gear and how it's packed, here:

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2015, 08:47:56 pm »

Thank you guys great info.

One thing that had happened to me is even in soft bag, my Manfrotto camera tripod was damaged, something hit one of the legs.

I guess this is not very common but happens. I'm thinking more on hard cases.

Scott I love your antique scale, one of a kind!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:59:42 pm by ACH DIGITAL »
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2015, 11:02:40 pm »

Antonio, I love that thing!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2015, 07:46:34 am »

Lots of great information on traveling.  $50 per bag is a little more then what I priced out with shipping, however not too much more.  Something to keep in mind should I ever get hired to travel. 

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2015, 03:34:16 pm »

I would rather have the equipment shipped if posibble if the rate is aceptable. Going through airports with that load is not very friendly.
Any one experience shipping Fedex?
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27   Go Up