Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works  (Read 283386 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 08:25:21 am »

Andrew, can you talk about your post-process in the first?  Well it looks like they may all be similar, but I'm most interested in the first.  The tonal range does look artificial to me, but still I really like this image.  I think there's a crispness and richness to it that is more successful than it would be with a more natural tonal range.  Also, do you sharpen these much?  It feels slightly over-sharpened.  Nice stuff.

CB

Jens_Langen

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 11:51:09 am »

Thanks Chris, extremely helpful info. Just for the record, I've never used an image straight out of HDR software either!

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 12:39:14 pm »

Hi Chris,

Thanks.

I'd better start with capture.
This was a stitched image with a 75mm lens.  I wanted a compressed feel to the photograph, and I knew I wanted pano proportions to give wider feel to the composition.
There were 8 shots in the stitch(1/13 @ F11), and there was single photograph with the person.(1/6 @ F8).  All shot at base iso.
I think if I'd had my Schneider 60XL  last year, I would have shot this with that.  I think I could have shot the base shot in 3 frames, though may needed to have bracketed for the windows then.

I processed each neutrally in LR.  
Having exposed for the windows I then brought the basic exposure of the photograph up a little, and pulled the highlights down.  I left the Fill Light/Shadow slider where it was.
Brightness and Contrast were both added along with some vibrance and saturation.
Some clarity was added at this stage (which I've found beneficial to older film era lenses)
Photographs were stitched and converted to a smart object to allow fine tuning of lens corrections etc.
The person file was processed to match and opened in PS as a smart object and layered into the compositions.  Lens corrections copied over and unwanted image masked out.
There was a degree of light mixing through the entire building.
I whitened the columns and to some degree handrail - I wanted he rythmn of the columns and ceiling beams to really stand out.
The red flowers in the rear were actually really red, so I dumbed them down.  
I warmed the ceiling up for two reasons - a west coast need for warm wood in their buildings (see the other photographs- Fir is orange and when used becomes the dominant colourin compositions.) and also to provide some contrast to the green outside.  I think this works, but interestingly 12 months on, I think I'd tone it down a bit now.  Example attached (LAP093_4807) - Interested in your thoughts?
There was a final curves adjustment to the entire photograph.
I usually apply an unsharp mask etc, but it looks like I didn't on this file.
When it comes back in to lightroom I sometimes complete overall tweaks to balance across the package of photographs being delivered - here , a small bump in exposure, some contrast added, and the highlights pulled down to balance the exposure bump.

I was at home last night and outputted the files to LL from other jpegs, so the attached may have been sharpened twice...
I've reattached the original (_4806) along with a less warm ceiling (_4807) - these both came from the tiffs and had no sharpening applied at all.

The other photographs followed a similiar process, however if there was a window that needed cutting in, this was also done.  All with smart objects that allow fine perspective adjustments to be copied across in PS.

This was probably one of my favourite buildings last year - one of those shoots squeezed in before the tenant/owner moved all their stuff in!  Thanks to the weather gods that day!

Cheers

AL

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:21:31 pm by alatreille »
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

NancyP

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 05:05:59 pm »

Surely that doesn't fit into a Sprinter! The company must have added a few feet to the van body.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »

Thanks for the in-depth, Andrew.  So, not all that different from stuff I do.  Though, I don't do the smart object route since my raws go through Capture 1 Pro.  I'm curious, why stitching?  Just for more res or you didn't have the lens to get that in one shot?  I never stitch, just because I'm already usually compositing from 5-7 exposures.

CB

Chris Barrett

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »

I don't know how you do it, Craig.  One of our guys at Hedrich used to shoot yachts for Sea-Ray, they would do these 6-8 week shoots in Florida.  He would tungsten gel all the windows and have to lamp his fresnels way low because space was so tight.  I'd go totally claustrophobic!

CB

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 09:02:39 pm »

Nancy,

They added a new body, just the cab left from the sprinter....
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 09:23:09 pm »

Chris, I started down the small space road back in the late 80's shooting conversion van interiors...custom interiors based an standard full sized Ford and Chevy vans.  The company I worked for also made rv's and  boats. 

I just kind of fell into it.

Later when I started my photography business it was just rv's , marine and cargo/race trailers.

I don't know that guys name from Hedrich, but I do know the work.  I started shooting interiors for Rinker boats, and they ranged from 24 to 40 feet.  Pretty small cabins. For the longest time I shot them in my studio, using mole Zips through the portholes, 650w moles stragically placed into the open hatches in the ceiling and lots of small Peppers inside.  It was hot as heck inside those cabins.  But lots of fun.  Later, after we closed the studio and went all location, I went strobe since I was now shooting in daylight factory bays.  Sadly strobe is not focused tungsten, and I had to change my style. 

Tethered shooting made my life so much easier and when I started shooting via the iPad, it was a dream.

Anyways, just a niche I found and I've been at it a long time.

Marine samples, some old studio stuff and some more recent strobe location.

http://www.craiglamson.com/CraigLamsonPhoto/marine.html
Craig Lamson Photo

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 09:55:52 pm »

Hi Chris,

In this case, the stitching was partly due to the fact that I didn't have a 50mm shift lens, so using the 75 would give me close to that field of view - I wanted to use the ceiling as the ground main hozizontal plane.
The other reason was for the nearground/farground relationship.  Nearground being the first column on the right hand side.  I wanted to compress this relationship as much as possible, and it was a double height space 10cms infront of the camera.

I suppose I could have shot it with the 35 and cropped in, but then for my client, it would loose the resolution (shot on a 5dmkII) to print larger than an 11x17...and Architects still print big!

I'm slowly moving to a more C1 oriented workflow.  However some of the guys that work with me on the retouching side aren't up to speed yet, so I'm not ready to completely make the switch due to the difference in raw processing. 

Perhaps for a different topic, but out of interest, how do you catalog your projects if not using LR?

Cheers

AL

Chris Barrett

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 09:11:02 am »

Ok, that makes sense.  It's such a drag that Tilt/Shift options are so few.  And they REALLY need new 45 & 90.  Those lenses are ancient!  Also, you may want to look into teleconverters.  The 24 TS-e with a 1.4x is still better than almost all of the 35mm pc lenses out there.  I haven't tested it, but I'm guessing the Contax would give it a run.  The 2x would get your 24 to 50ish.

Actually, LightRoom is killer for cataloging.  I never had a visual catalog before recently re-doing the website.  Trying to build new portfolios convinced me it was time to really get organized.  Now I love it.  I can publish straight to my blog through a plugin.  Lightroom mobile is awesome.  I've set up my catalog to be saved to the cloud (Copy.com) and I can access it on the tower and on my laptop, which allows me to keyword, build new portfolios and blog from the road.  Great stuff!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:15:56 am by Chris Barrett »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 03:27:24 pm »

Yeah.

If I'd had the tech cam and 60mm it would have been about perfect I think
I'm pretty happy with the Pentax 35mm.  I've used the 1.4 with the 24 and they are pretty comparable.  The P35mm has a little more barrell distortion than the Canon set up, but I can shift close to 18mm which can be handy.
I've not tried the 2x with the 24.

Lightroom is great for sorting.  I'm trying to work through a work flow that allows sorting here, and processing in C1 before final cataloging in LR.
Copy.com I'm going to check that out.  

EDIT: does copy.com sync live?  If so, be careful it's not running while you're accessing your LR catalog.  I had this set up with sugarsync a couple of years ago and it corrupted the catalog.

Think we got a bit side tracked here...Back to the topic.  Next poster please!  ;-)

AL
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:28:55 pm by alatreille »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 04:45:08 pm »

Hi,

Lightroom is great for parametric workflow. It is not the best raw converter, but it can do an awesome job in most circumstances. Also, it has an excellent integration with Photoshop.

If your worflow is 90% parametric editing and very little Photoshop, Lightroom may be choice of tool. I you process all images in PS, Lightroom will not be a good match for your workflow.

Best regards
Erik

Ok, that makes sense.  It's such a drag that Tilt/Shift options are so few.  And they REALLY need new 45 & 90.  Those lenses are ancient!  Also, you may want to look into teleconverters.  The 24 TS-e with a 1.4x is still better than almost all of the 35mm pc lenses out there.  I haven't tested it, but I'm guessing the Contax would give it a run.  The 2x would get your 24 to 50ish.

Actually, LightRoom is killer for cataloging.  I never had a visual catalog before recently re-doing the website.  Trying to build new portfolios convinced me it was time to really get organized.  Now I love it.  I can publish straight to my blog through a plugin.  Lightroom mobile is awesome.  I've set up my catalog to be saved to the cloud (Copy.com) and I can access it on the tower and on my laptop, which allows me to keyword, build new portfolios and blog from the road.  Great stuff!
Erik Kaffehr

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 10:53:11 pm »

Okay, I'll bite.

One taken with the Fuji X-T1, 35mm 1.4 lens, Hensel Sun Haze; the other one with a Mamiya C220, 105mm 3.5 on Portra.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:03:23 pm by Martin Ranger »
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Craig Lamson

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 10:34:54 am »

Nice portraits Martin.
Craig Lamson Photo

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »

A trio from Alton Rd suite. Nikon D800 + Nikon G 14-24mm

Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 10:10:49 pm »

Antonio, how do you like that zoom?  I've heard great things about it.  I'm just about to order one from Hartblei that comes as a tilt/shift kit for the Sony.

CB

gazwas

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 06:01:46 am »

Antonio, how do you like that zoom?  I've heard great things about it.  I'm just about to order one from Hartblei that comes as a tilt/shift kit for the Sony.

What about the new Canon 11-24? That thing looks amazing and supposedly betters the Nikon buy a good margin and is almost as good wide open at F4 as it is at F8-F11. I'm looking longingly at one at the moment.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 10:38:49 am »

CB

Well Chris, before I went Nikon I had Canon and my lenses were the 24S-E and 17TS-E. Now that I own a Sony too I regret selling those lenses and mostly the 24 TS-E which is the best wide angle I ever had.
The Nikon is a very good lens. As a zoom lens it is a compromise design wise, it suffers from a bit of barrel distortion between 14mm and 16mm. It The construction is very good and I use it mostly from 18 to 24. Just try to avoid strong light in front of the lens because it flares.
Now I got the Kipon Tilt Shift adapter for the Sony A7R and the tough E mount from Fotodiox, so just the last days I been able to try several lenses on this adapter.
With the 14-24 you have enough movement for interiors. My lens has the original lens hood which the Hartblei had been shaved so it might be suitable for exteriors shots where plenty of movement is needed.
I did a full size stitched from 3 horizontal shots taken at 18mm with 10mm shift up and down. you can download the 3 raw files from this link. Let me know your thoughts.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10120389/14-24mm.zip
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Craig Lamson

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 10:47:43 am »

What about the new Canon 11-24? That thing looks amazing and supposedly betters the Nikon buy a good margin and is almost as good wide open at F4 as it is at F8-F11. I'm looking longingly at one at the moment.

That one looks pretty good to me as well.  I just might be convinced should I move to a higher pixel count camera from my 1DsIII, 5dII and 6 d
Craig Lamson Photo

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 10:59:36 am »

I haven't tried yet. could be interesting.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27   Go Up