Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microdrives  (Read 3186 times)

DaveLon

Microdrives
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:59:47 am »

I read various opinions about how reliable microdrives are but I am wondering what the experience of those here has been. Sure would save me money to buy 4 gig microdrive over 4 gig CF.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
Microdrives
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:39:41 am »

I just purchase 2, 2gb Compactflas card 120x (transcend)  I have never have problem with this cards..Microdrive I just don't like them for now, i think it's to fragil.  My opinion

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

DonWeston

Microdrives
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 11:43:24 am »

I am most likely in the minority here but here are my microdrives history and with other compact flash cards. In 2000, first bought a 340mb microdrive, have shot thousands if not tens of thousands of images on it since, still functional and used daily albeit less. Have 2 [1] gb microdrives, a 2gb microdrive bought in the last few yrs, all still working. Have sandisk [ultra II and reg]1 and 2 gb flash cards, have never had a missed image on any of them, never a failure. I know fellow digital photographers who have had both issues with CF cards and microdrives, especially Lexar which are sworn by by most shooters and reviewers, as being the best and most reliable. I am careful with my cards of all types, have dropped both a microdrive and others a few inches onto a hard desk surface without fault, but in general I treat them very well. If you are using them for travel, outside conditions etc, I would stick with Cf cards, why temp fate with moving parts, humidity etc, but if in  studio usage and with care either would work fine. I am slowly picking up more CF cards over time, only because most of my important shooting as a hobbyist is with travel. Hope this helps.

Hank

Microdrives
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:48:31 am »

My wife and I both shoot professionally, and the vote is split in our household.  She prefers the microdrives in her applications (weddings, studio, events, location), while I prefer cards for mine (industrial, editorial, assignment, location).  I've quit microdrives because I had several fail in rough usage (drops, crushing, sharp blows), but she has never had a failure.  There's quite a difference in our approach to photography, too----In our landscape, travel and wildlife work she ends the day nice and clean while I'm usually coated in mud, and it's a close thing whether my body or my camera gear has more scuffs, bruises and contusions.

Long and short, for really rough use the cards are more durable, but with reasonable care microdrives are plenty durable.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 11:49:40 am by Hank »

61Dynamic

• http://
Microdrives
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 01:47:36 pm »

Using the search feature of this forum would net you answers without the need to repeat topics.

A thread posted just earlier this month covers this same question.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 01:49:18 pm by 61Dynamic »

DaveLon

Microdrives
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 01:53:43 pm »

Using the search feature of this forum would net you answers without the need to repeat topics.

A thread posted just earlier this month covers this same question.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Guess I entered the wrong search words.

D
Pages: [1]   Go Up