Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishful thinking... S2 Glass on A7r  (Read 12258 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Wishful thinking... S2 Glass on A7r
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 06:27:55 pm »

Let's face it.

This section "USE" to be for the more involved photographers, mainly because the only people that bought into medium format were pros or serious enthusiasts.

There was always cross over on formats because professionals have to use multiple formats and everybody needed a backup.

Now that smaller than medium format cameras have narrowed the quality gap and post production is just if not more important than the capture device, the lines are blurred more.

In fact Medium format for a long time was ONLY medium format because of the cameras, not the sensor.  It took forever to get a FF 645 (which was the smallest of medium format) and now there seems a turn back to even smaller than 645, so I'm not too sure you could call a Leica S2, Pentax or the cmos Phase/Leaf medium format cameras.

Pro or semi pro cameras . . . yes, but medium format . . . I'm not sure that designation really is appropriate anymore.

For me I have a lot of cameras, but honestly, if the Sony A7 series had a full line of fast lenses (not F4 but at least F2), and would track focus and tether professionally, I would have ditched everything and just bought a bunch of those.  R for high end print, S for B cam motion imagery.

Instead of RED's I'd have then bought F5's for A cam but the Sony A series just doesn't focus well enough for me and I think they are still at version 1 and need a few more trys to get it right, like less compression and as I mentioned better focusing.

But bottom line TO ME on this section of the forum is it use to attract the better artists, paid pros or the do it for the art crowd, but now it seems those people seem less involved.

I think one main reason is anything we post to the public has to have a return.  Use to my return was learning and giving back, but today is different.  

Rather than a Fun with images thread I would strongly suggest a gallery section with a place to put put info on every image with metadata to trace the artist.

Then there is a possible return for the posters other than involvement.

Anyway . . .

In other words I don't think we need more rules, I think we need less, but it's not my site and probably none of my business.

IMO

BC

OH BTW:   there should be a way to embed a video preview link on a post.

Great post.  

Makes me think about .  He was talking about the Mayor Giuliani shot on top of the Empire State building.  I always knew he shot it with an 8x10, but prior to today just thought it was because he likes 8x10.  

No.  He did it because he needed a wide angle view and wanted to separate the Mayor from the background.  A wide on a 35mm would just put everything in focus.  MF did not do it either.  4x5 came closer.  But 8x10 was the format that did it.  

Makes me think about how many still treat the formats like this?   ???
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:02:28 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

K.C.

Re: Wishful thinking... S2 Glass on A7r
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 01:08:15 am »

But bottom line TO ME on this section of the forum is it use to attract the better artists, paid pros or the do it for the art crowd, but now it seems those people seem less involved.

I think there are a lot of less of those people, period. We're living in an Instagram, flared back light in every shot, iPhone selfie world that rarely recognizes the skill shooters like you have, much less appreciates it.

Your client list may be stable or even growing. I expect the same is true for Chris. But the crew that's coming up behind you have neither skill nor the vision and their client list is growing.

IMO

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up